Ares Games

View Poll Results: Which would you like to see as decals?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 94th - Rickenbacker and the guys

10 47.62%
  • 27th - Luke and the boys

11 52.38%

Thread: 94th or 27th Aero Squadron decals?

Default 94th or 27th Aero Squadron decals?

We might have been a little late to the war, but we still need to represent!

94th Aero Squadron - Eddie Rickenbacker's Squaron (once again, only sample images... decals have not be decided yet).

Chambers.jpgFauntleroy.jpgRickenbacker.jpgKaye.jpgCoolidge.jpgKayeTop.jpg

27th Aero Squadron - Frank Luke's boys (once again, only sample images... decals have not be decided yet).

Hartney.jpgLuke2.jpgBeauchamp.jpgHartneyTop.jpg

I have to go with the 27th here, even though the Hat-in-the-Ring boys get more love historically.

I vote for 94th... and Fighting Buckeye... Decal sheets
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I would go with the 27th.

I'm with the Cowman on this one 94th.More mileage.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    I have to go with the 27th here, even though the Hat-in-the-Ring boys get more love historically.
    Ditto

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    Living in Arizona, you kidding me? Ditto, Bartman!

Hat in the Ring for me.. but honestly i think both. lol.. do one now and wait a few months and do the other..

The 94th for me.
    When can I order. (kidding)
    But will order if you make them.

Here is a thought guys. I will be offering sheets of national insignia as well as all of these squadron sets. What do you think of me dropping the roundels from the squadron sets to include more planes and/or more then one squadron? You could pick up the national markings set to finish them out. Or, is it better to have each set be a complete set on its own?

As long as the National markings are correct for the squadron sets, I opt for the extra squadron/planes.
    If not, I opt for the complete set on its own

I would like to have both. But I would need more planes. And we know how that is...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Here is a thought guys. I will be offering sheets of national insignia as well as all of these squadron sets. What do you think of me dropping the roundels from the squadron sets to include more planes and/or more then one squadron? You could pick up the national markings set to finish them out. Or, is it better to have each set be a complete set on its own?
    Presumably if you had the original Rickenbacker plane you wouldn't need those insignia, right? So long as that's the case, I say separate them onto different sheets.

You could just paint out the Rickenbacker personal markings on the official Rickenbacker mini, leaving the US cockades. In that case, you would not need the national markings decals.

Some people are not happy with the colors of the camo on the official mini however, and they would most likely want to do a complete re-paint.

I would prefer more aircraft to be included and seperate decals for the roundels. That gives the best of all worlds.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Did you ever produce these as I am consideringndoing them. Thanks cal Faber. They would be ready end of October as long as I have someone supply the references including the upper wing. Let me know. Thanks cal faber

Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I'd be interested Cal.

The artwork for all the decals is nearly 100%. I've not moved the projects forward do to lack of minis to put them on. I can't tie my capital up on products that will not move for several months because the mini are not around.

Maybe you would supply me with the artwork, I can produce a few sets . Spades are still plentiful and reasonably priced. It would speed up the process for me anyway. Let me know. I plan on doing customs for some folks.

I knew you would be Terry..lol

I have about 25 spads I've acquired over the last 30 days or so at various prices. Just sitting in sanfran right now typing this on the way back from Tampa to victoria. Found about 20 series 1 and 2 for $10 each and a deluxe set for $45. Just a chance stop at a game shop in Melbourne Florida yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by calfaber View Post
    Maybe you would supply me with the artwork, I can produce a few sets . Spades are still plentiful and reasonably priced. It would speed up the process for me anyway. Let me know. I plan on doing customs for some folks.
    Sorry, not going to put the artwork out there for people to print their own.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jared
    Sorties Flown

I will definitely buy some of those!!!! I vote for 94th (they are more famous) though either would be nice.

No wories, I am planning on doing both aeros anyway for myself, it will just take me a little longer to collect the artwork.. I completely understand. When then might you be thinking of doing those?

I'd like the 94th. Pretty cool restaurant when they were around.

Spring 2012, as that is when the minis are slated to be in the stores.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I could use these on Shapeways Planes once you print them up, Oberst!

A big ditto on these....... My shapeways planes are looking very bare

Looking out for the 94th Aero; useful on both SPAd XIIIs and Nieuport 28s.

94th My hats in the ring.

I'll go with the 94th. i kind of like the Hat in the Ring

Sorry, not doing American planes, got my hands full with German, British and French planes at present.

Any further word on these? I would be happy with either, or one sheet that covered both.

As would I. Hope these were not forgotten about.

These have not been forgotten about, they are just not high on the priority list right now

Thanks, Oberst. Not trying to sound like a smart alec but a serious question...what items can we expect that are higher on the list? Always interested in seeing the AA with new items!

Right now my main priority is getting the foam Hangar trays back in production The Sails of Glory Kick Starter items are also consuming lots of my time right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Right now my main priority is getting the foam Hangar trays back in production The Sails of Glory Kick Starter items are also consuming lots of my time right now.
    Once again, Thank you for all the work and time that you put in these projects.

I don't see anything about the 25th Aero Squadron...

Quote Originally Posted by freebird-52 View Post
    I don't see anything about the 25th Aero Squadron...
    Most likely because the 27th and 94th were the most "famous" of the Aero Squadrons...which means more sales. I couldn't see where the 25th would be that popular.

True, the 25th may not be popular, but...

They flew the RAF S.E.5a. They would eventually be re-activated during WWII flying B-25 and later in the 80s flying B-52Gs, and currently flying B-1s at Ellsworth AFB

Quote Originally Posted by freebird-52 View Post
    True, the 25th may not be popular, but...

They flew the RAF S.E.5a. They would eventually be re-activated during WWII flying B-25 and later in the 80s flying B-52Gs, and currently flying B-1s at Ellsworth AFB

Well played Andy...well played.

|t's not that we have anything against the 25th Andy. They were just not given as an option on the poll.
    Rob.

Predhead,
    Miscmini has a set of 27th sqauadron Spad XIII decals. Wing stripes, numbers, everything.

He also has numbers for American SPAD XIII and Nieuport 28.

I do wish somebody would do unit insignia for the US squadrons.

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    Any status as to these decals?
    Status: Aerodrome Accessories is dead, has been a couple years now IIRC.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)