8 50.00%
  • Unequal Aircraft

7 43.75%
  • To succeed Attacking aircraft Destroy & return to Base

7 43.75%
  • To succeed only need Destroy Balloon

8 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: What scenarios do you play for Balloon Busting?

Question What scenarios do you play for Balloon Busting?

G'day Chaps! Just thought I would launch a Poll to see who plays what in Balloon Busting Games.

Go at it folks!

I really have a problem using the rockets. I just do the Frank Luke thing and go in with guns blazing.

VG

I try to stick to a valid historical like situation. As soon as the timeline dictates a change from rockets to incendiary ammo I change over. I also like to introduce an area of uncertainty by inserting the odd random passing aircraft for either side. It keeps both sides on their toes.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I try to stick to a valid historical like situation. As soon as the timeline dictates a change from rockets to incendiary ammo I change over. I also like to introduce an area of uncertainty by inserting the odd random passing aircraft for either side. It keeps both sides on their toes.
    Rob.
    That's a good idea, Rob.

Probably not much help here, but...

... ALL OF THE ABOVE!

I have played it with single plane vs defended balloon (guns and/or planes)

Just make it interesting. Plan your scenarios with several options for differing numbers of players and player experience. Don't underestimate your players (my 6-year old son can operate 4 planes at once), but don't overwhelm the "noobs" either. Just make it fun

Chris maes

Multiple attackers against defended balloon

Uneven numbers of aircraft (attacker's favor) versus defended balloon (planes and guns)- attacker must destroy target and get away

Even numbers of attackers/defenders versus defended balloon (planes and guns)- attacker must only destroy target- escape not essential

Attacker(s) using rockets

Attacker(s) using incendiary ammo

Never did attacker(s) with both rockets and incendiary ammo on same plane, as my research seems to indicate that incendiaries pretty much replaced rockets once they became available

What the heck???

Why did the end of my post interject itself into the first part, instead of being at the end, where it belongs?

Ahhh... isn't technology grand...?

Chris Maes

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Maes View Post
    What the heck???

Why did the end of my post interject itself into the first part, instead of being at the end, where it belongs?

Ahhh... isn't technology grand...?

Chris Maes
    Yeah you just got to learn to live with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Rob.
    Here's a thought. With most of the planes we use they all have A damage decks. So if you have anyone using incendiary rounds they have to use B damage deck. The thought process being that most pilots loaded one of their guns with incendiary rounds and the other with regular ammo. If you used incendiary rounds on planes and where caught you would get the firing squad. I was reading it in the autobiography of Frank Luke.

Tom

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Here's a thought. With most of the planes we use they all have A damage decks. So if you have anyone using incendiary rounds they have to use B damage deck. The thought process being that most pilots loaded one of their guns with incendiary rounds and the other with regular ammo. If you used incendiary rounds on planes and where caught you would get the firing squad. I was reading it in the autobiography of Frank Luke.

Tom

Yes I think you are correct Tom although I remember one story in an Osprey Aces book about a British Pilot who got hit with a German Phospherous Round :eek2: which resulted in his arm having to be amputated in a German Hospital so there were obviously some who did not follow the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Yes I think you are correct Tom although I remember one story in an Osprey Aces book about a British Pilot who got hit with a German Phospherous Round :eek2: which resulted in his arm having to be amputated in a German Hospital so there were obviously some who did not follow the rule.
    Yes I heard towards the end of the war no quarters were given as it was a war of attrition. But the house rule sounds cool for a scenario.

Tom

I checked them all and play them all when I can.

So far 10 games played and not a single balloon has made it out at all. Most burning to ashes. Anyone actually had a balloon survive a game?

None but I have had a game in which an exploding baloon destroyed one of the attacking aircraft who was too close!

Over the many scenarios we've managed to crash into the balloons 10+ times (using altitude rules and multiple balloons in play). The shame of hitting a balloon was in itself hilarious.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Madboyo View Post
    So far 10 games played and not a single balloon has made it out at all. Most burning to ashes. Anyone actually had a balloon survive a game?
    Are you counting the turns & after 12 the Balloon is winched down to Safety as per the Burning Drachens Rule Book?

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Are you counting the turns & after 12 the Balloon is winched down to Safety as per the Burning Drachens Rule Book?
    Yes, best we've had is a balloon get to turn 11.

Re: the use of incendiary ammo; according to my (somewhat limited) research, by the middle of 1918 almost everyone was using it in some combination with armour piercing, tracer, and explosive. Apparently, by that time very few pilots used any ball ammunition.