Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Plane Names Wrong

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by somaliavet View Post
    And here I thought Worcestershire was confusing.
    Only if you pour it on your sweets instead of Meat or Fish!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I knew you knew Larry. Do you know what a Manchester screwdriver is?
    Talking of getting names wrong, I can get anybody's name wrong these days.
    Rob.
    Thats ONLY after five or six too many G & Ts
    But then again I once heard you just cant have too many G & Ts ?

Speach in only one form of communication we can use, if that don't work try waving arms, or hand jesters. On the other hand as long as you know what you are talking about thats all that matters!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    There's a story about the movie "The Madness of King George", that it was originally supposed to be called simply "George III" but the marketing people nixed that because "The US audience would never go see a movie called George III if the hadn't first seen George I & II"...
    Yeah, right. I believe we had a Revolution to put an end to all those roman numerals guys. To answer the original question, the only plane I would confuse was the DH4 with the Curtiss 'Jenny'. I don't know why, but to quote John Cleese, "I got better."

Having seen "How the West was won" several times, I am still waiting for the sequel "How the West was too"...

BTW waving and pointing is highly appropriate for a WWI pilot's forum, but love the 'hand jester 'LOL!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

How The West Was Won ... How The West Was Too ... Followed by How The West Was Free ...

Somebody I once knew used to have a most unusual way of referring to RAF Squadron Ident lettering - it confused the hell out of me as a child! A quick example would be the Supermarine Spitfire Mk II which carried DW-K: To me with it in my collection it would be D-W-dash-K. To this guy upon seeing this aircraft it would be D-W-oh-K! Loosely connected with thread title but reading some of the comments here reminded me of this
    Last edited by Tonx; 09-03-2015 at 14:15. Reason: Added first bit!

People are not bred for intelligences.

Neither are they cake!

That's plane too sea.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post
    Having seen "How the West was won" several times, I am still waiting for the sequel "How the West was too"...

BTW waving and pointing is highly appropriate for a WWI pilot's forum, but love the 'hand jester 'LOL!
    starring mel brooks

Well I am glad the Brits never named a plane after this place! http://llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychw...ogogoch.co.uk/
    I have been there. I still have a platform ticket from the railway station somewhere.

Barry, 'sex' is the Latin word for 'six'.

My Battle Of Britain unit ID code is not: FU[dash]K. I stand corrected.

(And I am not allowed to have a Korean War F-86 coded FU-311, either.)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    My Battle Of Britain unit ID code is not: FU[dash]K.
    Quite right - no British unit would be so uncouth. You need an Australian for that....
    Only "FU" from June '42 (or possibly August) onwards, for the record - before that they were "TD" flying Buffs in the far east. Which may have been the experience that prompted them to go FU....

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/galler...1945.sized.jpg

...If you can remember those two, then the odd one out is the B26, single tail 2 engines...
    Love this!

Never forgotten that the B-26 is the Marauder... most likely because I learned as a kid that it was referred to by a number of extremely colorful names (most often by its crews, the first three because it was an aircraft unforgiving of novices):
    • "Widowmaker"
    • "Martin Murderer"
    • "Flying Coffin"
    • "B-Dash-Crash"
    • "Flying Prostitute," because it was so fast and had "no visible means of support" (referencing its small wings)
    • "Baltimore Whore" (Martin was based in Baltimore, MD) [this is the one that stuck with me as a 12 year old... can't understand why, must be the rhyming]

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Yeah, right. I believe we had a Revolution to put an end to all those roman numerals guys.
    Didn't do a very good job of it then

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hamilton_IV

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Didn't do a very good job of it then

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hamilton_IV
    He shoots, and he scores!
    Great one Dave.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thank the lord there's only one Wayne Rooney then!
    See you on the Dark Side......

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Quite right - no British unit would be so uncouth. You need an Australian for that....
    Only "FU" from June '42 (or possibly August) onwards, for the record - before that they were "TD" flying Buffs in the far east. Which may have been the experience that prompted them to go FU....

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/galler...1945.sized.jpg
    If this unit once operated Brewster Buffalo Mk Is no wonder they reverted to an 'FU' Squadron Ident! The Brewster Buffalo F2A made a fine training aircraft but as a combat aircraft ... It could barely score a Zero (pardon the pun!)

On the civil aviation scene when UTA (Union de Transportes Aeriennes - merged with Air France in 1992) was still around in France they omitted the registration F-GFUK from their then brand new Boeing 737-400 fleet. Later on Corsair which is a French charter carrier was permitted to carry F-GSEX on a Boeing 747-300 which was then hereditarily transferred to a B744! In England the registration number G-AFUK was never taken up and also G-OFUK has never been taken up either. Whilst G-ESEX has been retained by a Eurocopter EC135P-2 which once served as the Essex Air Ambulance but is now in operation as a police helicopter in West Yorkshire!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12