Ares Games

View Poll Results: May the best painted plane win!

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. Sous-Lt. Marcel Coadou, SPA88 November 1918

5 6.76%
  • 2. Lt. Josef Jacobs, Jasta 7 May 1918

0 0%
  • 3. Lothar von Richthofen's Fokker Dr. I

0 0%
  • 4. Blue Baron

2 2.70%
  • 5. DH 4 Kiel Photo Recon (plane without a mission)

13 17.57%
  • 6. Ernst Udets plane from autumn 1917

0 0%
  • 7. Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron

0 0%
  • 8. Ltn d R Carl Degelow in a Fokker D.VII of Jasta 40

15 20.27%
  • 9. "Albatrosses of Ernst Udet" category; D.III 1941/16, which he was flying in January of 1917

0 0%
  • 10. Charles Nungesser's Nieuport 17 with the serial number 1895

2 2.70%
  • 11. Lothar's Dr.1

3 4.05%
  • 12. Spitfire

8 10.81%
  • 13. Albatros D.III belonging to Jasta 17

26 35.14%

Thread: Repaint Contest - VOTE -

Exclamation Repaint Contest - VOTE -

First off I would like to personally thank the member (who would like to stay anonymous) who funded the prize for this contest. The winner will be allowed to select any of the basic box sets from Wings of War or Dawn of War.

Secondly, I would like to thank everyone that took the time and effort to repaint a miniature and submit it to the contest. You all did some wonderful work. Not only have you added a uniquely painted plane to your collection, you have also inspired others to give repainting a try. You have also helped to promote the wonderful hobby side of this great game. So again, thank you!

Finally, its time to pick our winner. Below is a numbered list of each plane that was entered along with photos of it. You have to pick the one plane that you like the best and vote for it. Voting will be open until Wednesday the 16th at midnight US Mountain time (my time ;D ).

Good Luck to everyone!

1. Sous-Lt. Marcel Coadou, SPA88 November 1918

2. Lt. Josef Jacobs, Jasta 7 May 1918

3. Lothar von Richthofen's Fokker Dr. I

4. Blue Baron

5.DH 4 Kiel Photo Recon (plane without a mission)

6. Ernst Udet's plane from autumn 1917.

7. Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron

8. Ltn d R Carl Degelow in a Fokker D.VII of Jasta 40.

9. "Albatrosses of Ernst Udet" category; D.III 1941/16, which he was flying in January of 1917.

10. Charles Nungesser's Nieuport 17s with the serial number 1895.

11. Lothar's Dr.1

12. Spitfire

13. Albatros D.III belonging to Jasta 17

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

The pictures for entry #8 aren't being displayed like the others.

A lot of nice paint jobs here, it's going to be hard to make a choice... :-)

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

Well, I have my favourites but still going to wait to vote cause the 8 picture don't display.

Nice work all of you.

I too am unable to have #8 open up for viewing.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Can't open #8 also.

Users Country Flag

Name
    allen
    Sorties Flown

i can't get number 8 to open...a lot of great work but i'm going to have to wait until i can get all the photos....

ditto to #8

was wondering if anyone new with regards to #13 was the plane hand painted or were the lozenge and diamond pattern hand painted. as this would effect my vote...

Will also wait till #8 is sorted before I cast my vote.

Cheers
    GW

Sorry about that, #8 has been fixed.

For plane nr 13. I had to handpaint everything. Both the Lozenge patterns, the checkers and the markings. I had only got the plane on Wednesday and painted it up on Sunday and Monday. I didn't have any decals so I hand painted them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigfus View Post
    For plane nr 13. I had to handpaint everything. Both the Lozenge patterns, the checkers and the markings. I had only got the plane on Wednesday and painted it up on Sunday and Monday. I didn't have any decals so I hand painted them on.
    ok well thats makes it very interesting. amazing work to have done all that by hand I wish I had a fraction of your skills I'd be a dam good painter then.....

cheers
    GW

Hard choice, really hard choice... good work, those models look absolutely superb!

Users Country Flag

Name
    allen
    Sorties Flown

wish i could paint that well......my painting experience is taking figure in right hand and dunking in can of paint....it may be funny but at least everything gets paint on it including fingers (and to all those who may be concerned NO wings of war miniatures were harmed (or painted) in the above demonstration).....

I have voted for "8. Ltn d R Carl Degelow in a Fokker D.VII of Jasta 40".

Though it was very difficult to choose, lots of great repaints, I wish I had more votes to cast

good work everybody!

I'd like to say that it was extremely difficult to choose between all these excellent entries.

I had several good favs, but i decided for the spitfire. I'm definitely biased towards ww2, but it's also an awesome repaint with painstaking attention to detail.

was a really hard choice to make.....but my vote went to:

13. Albatros D.III belonging to Jasta 17

Cheers
    GW

For plane nr 13. I had to handpaint everything.
    Everything is hand painted? Thats outstanding!!! You got my vote!
    I wish I could paint as good at you, the blue and white dimond patten on the tail fin is amazing, not to mention the hand painted cross's.

Make sure you post some picture of your other work, I'm sure we would all love to see it.

Good luck!

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

I was doubting among "5. DH 4 Kiel Photo Recon (plane without a mission)" and "12. Spitfire". Finally I chose the Spitfire for the realism of a plame in use.

Good luck to all.

Name
    Dent
    Sorties Flown

I must confess, I thought my spittie would rate better than it has. Took me about 8 hrs from basecoat to finished (getting the insignia circles right and finding the canopy after I dropped it was most a signifigant portion of that time, admittedly).

Ah well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. At least I have a 100% unique paint scheme for my 2nd fave WWII plane

I'm pretty impressed by 8 and 13 too, though. Done well!

Dent.

I voted for the spit, love the used look plus it's the only WWII plane :-) . I'm pretty sure everyone around here spent several houres on their models.

Hello, as Dent also posted which options he was impressed with, I thought I'd do the same.

I actually voted for nr 13, well, because I'm biased and have the thing here.

Anyway, my other clear favorites were the Spitfire (nr 12), the KH Diel (nr 5) and the very fist one: SPA88 (nr 1).

I had one particular problem with the SPA88. It is nicely depicted, and has been nicely photoshopped into a fitting background. The problem is I really don't know where the painting ends and the photoshop begins.The shadowing looks nice as well, but I believe this is a photograph part, not the painting part of the plane.

The DH Kiel is my favorite of the three. It just has that attraction to me. The painting is excellent.

The Spitfire is very nice as well, especially the lining and shading of the fuselage and wings. The reason I'd place it after the DH Kiel, is that in my own subjective opinion I feel the wear and tear is a bit overdone.

Having said that, these are the three other models that caught my eye immediately. Amongst all the others there's not one that I wouldn't prefer over the prepainted versions, which I must admit I don't find bad at all.

I hope I don't come across as an arrogant bastard that's going to tell us how to paint, and what is wrong. The comments above should be seen in a constructive light.

I've also seen a couple of posts on the diamond pattern, if there is interest I'll see if I can find another plane (maybe durig the Christmas period) to show how I painted it on.

Oh you arrogant bast... No -You made that very clear to me and I agree to most of it. The diamond pattern ist the bavarian crest. As a Franconian I can't vote for that (Germans know why ) Apart from this, well done. I gave the Spit a WWII bonus and I definitely think the pictures in the background look good, but they make it harder to judge about those planes.

I've also seen a couple of posts on the diamond pattern, if there is interest I'll see if I can find another plane (maybe durig the Christmas period) to show how I painted it on.
    I would definitely like to see this.

They're all great, but if I have to pick one it's going to have to be lucky number 13. Beautiful job.

The Spad is simply flat painted, the shadows on the ribs are from the natural light in which the plane was photographed, photoshop was only used to put the plane on the background.

I very seldom shade anything and if I do it is done to blend in, I am not a believer in picking out belts, clothing, buttons and panel lines etc in a heavy colour as this, to my eye, is not realistic, it is merely a style, albeit one which is very much a favourite of wargamers. Having said that I don't think anyone can doubt the work which has gone in to both the Albatros and Spitfire, great stuff.

I am a bit disappointed that there were not more entries, I thought the the contest was a great idea and I love looking at other peoples planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post
    I am a bit disappointed that there were not more entries, I thought the the contest was a great idea and I love looking at other peoples planes.
    Really? I think 13 entries by 10 entrants is a pretty respectable showing for a site that still seems to be finding it's footing.

I also want to say thanks for the contest and thanks to all of the entrants. I may not have created a contest winner, but I have created a couple minis I'm happy to have in my collection (even if I am a little disappointed by the gritty finish on my Nieuport). And it's gotten me back in the mood to finally do the dozen or so planes that have been sitting around for months awaiting a Dom's Decals makeover.

I hope that the other entrants also found the time spent rewarding, and would LOVE to see this become a regular thing. Maybe quarterly?

Yes, really. So far some 60 people have voted for 10 entrants, where are the other 50 repaints?

Yes, really. So far some 60 people have voted for 10 entrants, where are the other 50 repaints?
    I think you mean the other 107 repaints. shoot for the stars...

Great Jobs there, and a hard choice! For me it's 'the last will be the first'

Exclamation

Well done all contestants the repaints are great I wish was able to paint like that It was very hard to choise.

Name
    Dent
    Sorties Flown

I've often said I'm a painter/modeller first, and a gamer second, but I think I'm in the minority. I was impressed there were 10 competitors, for a game that has pre-painted models (and great ones at that).

Dent.

Pre-Painted models is a good call - was it hard to repaint those nice planes?

I don't think it's very hard. You can do a really decent job quite quickly. With al the intricacies I used (Lozenge pattern and the diamond pattern on top and bottom of the wings, wood grain (not so visible) + markings) it took me some 15 hours of painting time. In my opinion, some 3 hours at most can already give you a really satisfying look.

No, I mean psychological

You guys all painted the badges, didn't you? I used to do a lot of modelling a couple of years ago, my room was full of WWII planes. But every plane had those stickers you have to put into warm water.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    You guys all painted the badges, didn't you? I used to do a lot of modelling a couple of years ago, my room was full of WWII planes. But every plane had those stickers you have to put into warm water.
    Oh my dog no... If I had to guess, I'd say that Vigfus is the only one who painted the national markings by hand (I've refrained from mentioning it until now, but those hand painted crosses are the only reason he didn't run away with my vote no questions asked; I'd love to see that plane with the markings redone with decals). There are places you can get those "stickers" (called decals) for these scale planes. Dom's Decals is one of the more popular ones, and the source I used.

Ah, all right - read something about the decals the Colonel is designing.

Name
    Dent
    Sorties Flown

My spittie is 100% painted. I hate decals for no rational reason.

Dent.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Pre-Painted models is a good call - was it hard to repaint those nice planes?
    Yes, I can only repaint a prepainted plaes if I have two copies of it. It would break my heart to "ruin" one and not to have it any longer...

Yeah, that's what I call true passion

Maxdeth

My vote will be for planes with little men in them. How can they fly without men? Wasnt it the man behind the plane that made it great? Numbers 1,2,5,6 and 8 have even gone to the trouble of adding men.

A lot of work appears to have gone into 5 and 13. Number 8 though is very attractive and I like the deer thing that is hand painted on the sides. The archaic beauty of these old planes is brought out in the variety of schemes and it is great to see people researching and painting their own models. It certainly adds to the enjoyment of the game for me.

I would like to congratulate Christof for winning the repaint contest. I think this was a very tough contest to be in and there were a lot of great entries. Your mini was very well done and it stood out to our members. So, Congrats!

Also a big thank you to everyone that took part in the contest!

congrats Christof a very nice job and well deserved. To the other painters dam fine job guys makes me nervous about trying my hand at a repaint.

cheers
    GW

A tad disappointed at only getting five votes for the Spad and one of them was mine, lol. If I had had another vote I would have liked to have given it to Udet's Alabatros, a nice piece.

But congrats to winner, well done.

Well, I thought I had to post a reply after receiving my very first Medal on here.

I really did enjoy repainting the plane, and am already thinking about other repaints. I truly enjoyed seeing the work of all the others who had the courage to try the repaints.
    I'll look for some decals for the next one.

A big thanks to everyone, the other contestants, the voters (not only those that voted for me) and off course Mister Anonymous, who donned the prize. I've requested the Burning Drachens box as I have just ordered the WWI Deluxe Wings of War set and already have a WWII Deluxe set incoming.

The only thing I can say is, please join for the next contest, the balloon busting mission. I 'll also try to participate but my writing skills are far inferior to my painting skills. I already have something in mind, but I still need to do a lot of work for work, so I might not find the time. The contests are so much more than just a contest, they're actually fun. The contest are easy to enter, don't need an exceeding amount of time, bring enjoyment to your gaming experience and to boot you have a chance to win something. What's best of all is all the little pm's that are send behind the curtains. I feel I've won friends in the first place, then the box.

Thanks to the Col an the crew to organize these.

Easy Red

Default #13 wins it!

All great works, but the Albatros is detailed so well. Very nice indeed!

Similar Missions

1. Do you Repaint?
    By Belis4rius in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 21:26
  2. Repaint Contest - Win a Wings of War or Dawn of War box set!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 08:30
  3. Repaint Contest - Entries
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 09:55
  4. Profile Page Contest --VOTE--
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 15:44