Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Collisions - Options and most played option

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by celticgriffon View Post
    Hi everyone,

The files in jpg and pdf format are now available in the files secion (wwi / house rules / collision cards).

Cheers,
    Michael
    These cards a great! The only problem I can see is there are 'two' missing. The 'Climb' and 'Straight' options for each pilot to decide upon for a path taken to avoid a collision. Wonder what the odds would be of seeing these additions?

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Thanks This is what I use... Both planes can receive different levels of damage (C-deck card each). Planes can be changing altitude and the centre pegs must touch the other base to count as a collision. With aircraft visibility limits climbing or diving in a tight dogfight only increases the chances of collisions. This discussion has helped me to look at a few other aspects of collisions I had not considered.

We tested the collision "minigame" extensively during this weekend.

We decided that the pilots shall not choose the manoeuvre, since both sides quickly started only choosing bank right all the time. We decided to draw a card randomly, representing the pilot instinctively trying to avoid the other airplane.

It added a lot of fun to the games and eliminated the need to check whether pegs overlap or anything. You overlap to whatever degree, you draw a collision card each. There is a big chance of avoiding the collision, but quite a few had occurred anyway.

The one part I'm a little confused about-- the cards seem to assume that the planes are meeting nose to nose. My going right and your going left yield a collision.
    But that doesn't apply if I'm approaching from the side or overtaking--

Am I misunderstanding something (probably obvious ) here?

Quote Originally Posted by rcboater View Post
    The one part I'm a little confused about-- the cards seem to assume that the planes are meeting nose to nose. My going right and your going left yield a collision.
    But that doesn't apply if I'm approaching from the side or overtaking--

Am I misunderstanding something (probably obvious ) here?
    I would say that it is a quick and simple minigame, taking the real headings into considerations would complicate things too much.

We use the "C" Damage deck since we started using if from the beginning and we all know to use it.

I still think collisions are overdone in the game-- that's why I don't use them at all. I think the game system over-emphasizes the chance of collision-- especially given that you're forced into turns of 30, 45, or 60 degrees.
    I've read some first-hand accounts recently, and collisions just don't factor in that often-- they were actually quite rare. Everyone knows about the famous collision involving Boelcke-- but that was a result of flying in formation with in an inexperienced squadron mate, not in combat. And if you were to look at the number of collisions versus the number of combat flight hours, I think you'd find that collisions were very rare......

I do like the ideas some have offered here as a way to reduce the likelyhood of a collision....
    Last edited by rcboater; 04-01-2013 at 20:38. Reason: fix typos

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Hi Larry,
    I agree that the overlap idea, with a collision occurring if a base touches or contacts the planes post.

Last week I had two separate collisions resulting in me drawing an "explosion" card from the"C" deck each time!!!! Two planes collided: my planes exploded and the other plans drew a only a few damage points. Maybe the explosion card only should apply to both planes if its drawn by either player.[I keep one "C" deck just for collisions]

You are right Stephen. All planes in base to base contact should draw a card for collateral damage.
    Rob.

Nice little set Neil, especially the explosion deck, which gives a lifeline to the unlucky player.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by STEPHEN NAPIER View Post
    Hi Larry,
    I agree that the overlap idea, with a collision occurring if a base touches or contacts the planes post.

Last week I had two separate collisions resulting in me drawing an "explosion" card from the"C" deck each time!!!! Two planes collided: my planes exploded and the other plans drew a only a few damage points. Maybe the explosion card only should apply to both planes if its drawn by either player.[I keep one "C" deck just for collisions]
    Hi Stephen,

Don't forget though the explosion card does not just reflect the aircraft going up in a sheet of flame, it is just an expression of any critical damage that renders the aircraft immediately unflyable.

Using the Oswald Boelcke/Erwin Böhme collision as an example, Böhme's landing gear brushed Boelcke's upper wing. As the fabric peeled off the upper wing of his aircraft, Boelcke struggled for control, and after a few moments the top wing was gone. Boelcke drew the 'explosion' card and Böhme managed a zero card.

Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Hi Stephen,

Don't forget though the explosion card does not just reflect the aircraft going up in a sheet of flame, it is just an expression of any critical damage that renders the aircraft immediately unflyable.

Using the Oswald Boelcke/Erwin Böhme collision as an example, Böhme's landing gear brushed Boelcke's upper wing. As the fabric peeled off the upper wing of his aircraft, Boelcke struggled for control, and after a few moments the top wing was gone. Boelcke drew the 'explosion' card and Böhme managed a zero card.

Works for me.
    Great example, Carl! You might amend it to say that Bohme drew a 1 damage card, as he suffered undercarriage damage and made a "soft" crash landing. Its still an excellent real world interpretation of the misnamed explosion card!

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to follow up to see if the collision cards I created are still being used? Unfortunately I haven't been able to play Wings in a while...

I had a hunch players would eventually always choose the same direction to avoid a collision so I think selecting at random would definitely solve things.

Michael

They are all done in Word. So anyone can amend whats on them to their own design or ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Nice little set Neil, especially the explosion deck, which gives a lifeline to the unlucky player.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by celticgriffon View Post
    Hey everyone,

I just wanted to follow up to see if the collision cards I created are still being used? Unfortunately I haven't been able to play Wings in a while...

I had a hunch players would eventually always choose the same direction to avoid a collision so I think selecting at random would definitely solve things.

Michael
    I just use them like a damage deck Michael. The protagonists just pick them off the top and display them to each other.
    Seems to work very well and is a quick way to deal with collisions.
    Thanks for starting the ball rolling.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Hi Ian, this sounds good for me... I use the rule if contact is made with the mini's peg with the base of the other planr: that its a collision.
    hit/nearmiss damage dertermined using a "C" card each, drawn sepately, (damage noted), returned to deck for reshuffle for draw for the other flyer. Both planes will then have same damage chance! Cheers

We do not use the collision rules in our games. How we handle planes touching/overlapping bases is that neither plane is allowed to shoot as they are too busy cursing and weaving and trying to avoid a code brown. Weaving planes may be shot at by other planes not involved using normal line of sight rules.

I'm using this without altitude rules (PS: the dice percentages are based on the percentages of the C Damage Deck):

• Collision possible if base of one plane overlaps or touches the center peg of another plane
    • In such case, neither plane may fire at any other plane
    • Each aircraft takes evasive action, represented by secretly choosing “heads” or “tails” on a coin; if each player chooses the same action (side of coin), a collision occurs
    • To determine the result of the collision, roll 1d20:
    Roll Damage
    1-12: no damage
    13: 1
    14: 2
    15: 4 + fire
    16: 6 + engine damage
    17: 6 + wounded crew
    18: 8 + smoke
    19: 10
    20: explosion

We use the simplified altitude rules, so having aircraft in close formation with slightly different altitudes to avoid collisions is pretty standard. At least, for experienced pilots.

Collisions involve contact base-to-peg, so don't happen often.

Result - all colliders draw a C damage each. While we've experimented with drawing 3 A deck cards - 1 that applies to both planes, then 1 each to either (so they both get 1 common one plus 1 individual one for that plane only) - the additional complexity wasn't deemed worth it.

Just to add up to the most played WWI option:
    1. When we don't play altitudes, we always use the collision cards optional rule. When we don't have a set of collision cards at hand, we use a contact base-to-peg method as mentioned above (C draw).
    2. When we play altitudes, we use a standard C draw.

As for WWII:
    1. When we don't play altitudes, we use the collision cards optional rule. When we don't have a set of collision cards at hand, we use a contact base-to-peg method as mentioned above (C draw or AA draw).
    2. When we play altitudes, we use either a standard C draw or AA draw, as C has too many zeros for a proper WWII collision to be punished.

That is for the Prague wing
    Last edited by Honza; 03-09-2015 at 00:59.

I always play with the collision cars from the files. Seems less clinical than a dice roll, and creates an air of suspense.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

A guy who first came up with the Collision cards did a great job. He really deserves a hug and kiss.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123