Ares Games

Thread: For all you scratch-building Johnnies out there

Default For all you scratch-building Johnnies out there

I was talking to the chaps on the Skytrex stand at Salute on Saturday, and once we got over the 'bomber wings' issue and when are they going to do more in the coastal forces range, I asked if they are amenable to flogging me a bag o' bits. Seems they are more than happy to put together a bag of props, wheels, undercarts etc. You just need to email them what kit the bits come from, how many you want and they will give you a price.

Could be useful if you aren't up to carving props from cocktail sticks or knocking out wheels that are vaguely round
    Last edited by Guntruck; 04-18-2011 at 10:22.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Thanks Steve
    Getting a few props wheels and machine guns could be real helpful.
    Linz

Well done that man. What did they say about the Short's wings Steve?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Well done that man. What did they say about the Short's wings Steve?
    Rob.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...x-Short-Bomber

Steve, thanks for the skinny; very good to know for components that could be fiddly or fragile to DIY.

Thanks for the link Steve. Don't suppose you have any scale views of these wings about your person by any chance?
    Rob.

So when ARE they going to do more coastal stuff? I recall talking to them many years ago about modern coastal, and they told me that they had a master for a 1/700 Petya. They would put it into production, they said, but there were no modern coastal rules available. I published "Bulldogs Away" the next year, and they've sold really well - but still no Petya! (I guess all the modern coastal gamers are shelling out on PT Dockyard's resin models)

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    So when ARE they going to do more coastal stuff? I recall talking to them many years ago about modern coastal, and they told me that they had a master for a 1/700 Petya. They would put it into production, they said, but there were no modern coastal rules available. I published "Bulldogs Away" the next year, and they've sold really well - but still no Petya! (I guess all the modern coastal gamers are shelling out on PT Dockyard's resin models)
    Didn't discuss modern coastal (frightfully unsporting using missiles and radar, don'tcha know), but they have some Italian 1/600 WW2 left over from before they discovered they could make shedloads of money from their railway stuff. They have slowed down on the railway line now (no pun intended), and may look at putting the Italian boats out later this year, and they may think about bringing out a bunch of targets (sorry - Japanese MTBs, barges, etc). Basically the conversation was along the lines of 'what do you want to see?' Again I suppose the problem is that PT dockyard has stolen a march on Skytrex while Skytrex was playing with their chuffas. I would have suggested that they do a few bits that SDD did, but it seems Stronghold are bringing these back on line.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Thanks for the link Steve. Don't suppose you have any scale views of these wings about your person by any chance?
    Rob.
    Yes thanks

I have tried (in vain)
    to make some sense of the reverisco (if that`s how you spell it) website.
    They do an assortment of assorted 1/144th Pilots and gunners.
    Getter 1 (John) has bought a batch, and very good they look too !
    If anybody has any luck with them, please give me the heads-up
    Cheers
    Batesyboy
    Last edited by batesyboy; 04-18-2011 at 13:20. Reason: ommited bit

I've used some in my WoW Camels and Fokker Triplanes (and SRAM Nieuport) to good effect, although you have to file them so that they fit into the cockpits. They tend to be a bit wide. I'd recommend them, although it may be quicker to get the Peter Pig ones if you are in the U.K.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    I've used some in my WoW Camels and Fokker Triplanes to good effect, although you have to file them so that they fit into the cockpits. They tend to be a bit wide.
    Too much time spent in the Mess!

but it seems Stronghold are bringing these back on line.
    It would be nice to see the old SDD line back on the shelves. I made a fair few of the masters for them.

Lee!

The pilots from Reverisco are nice. I ordered several WW2 Bi planes and open cockpit planes, in one bag i received a extra!!!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    It would be nice to see the old SDD line back on the shelves. I made a fair few of the masters for them.
    David, are you aware that Stronghold appear to be up & running again? Improved website (not great, but improved) and good communications. Can't remember the guy's name, but he seems to be getting his act together after his problems. He said some bits and pieces I asked him about should go back into production in May.

Update from Skytrex: Bits cost 30 pence each (I'm assuming they cast the sprue that contains the prop or whatever you want, and you are paying for whatever else is on the sprue as well) plus postage.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Update from Skytrex: Bits cost 30 pence each (I'm assuming they cast the sprue that contains the prop or whatever you want, and you are paying for whatever else is on the sprue as well) plus postage.
    Well worth it if it saves having to knock out your own props. Thanks Steve.
    Rob.