Ares Games

Thread: WWI maps and aerial reconnaisance photos

Post WWI maps and aerial reconnaisance photos

This site has some recon photos from various sectors of the front. I find it an interesting exercise to put yourself in the boots of a signals/intelligence officer while viewing these.

http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/ndx5to40.htm

Amazing find! To study them carefully

Well done Brian

Attilio

A very comprehensive set of maps. Could take a lifetime to absorb all that information.
    Good find.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Speaking of aerial photography: Have you seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jJ-gEyxek0

I found it interesting.

Concur with the others. Great find. Overwhelming amount of info.

I could easly get lost in all these maps....

Quote Originally Posted by Justin3.14 View Post
    I could easly get lost in all these maps....
    But maps are to ensure that you............Oh never mind.
    Kyte.

I haven't got a mag glass big enought to see them. Good find

Aerial photographs are really impressive

Someone looks like a lunar landscape. The number of craters of the bombings and the angle of sunlight combine to give just to give this impression.

Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    Speaking of aerial photography: Have you seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jJ-gEyxek0

I found it interesting.
    I've seen that series. I found it highly interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    I haven't got a mag glass big enought to see them. Good find
    I used the zoom located at the bottom like a magnifying glass and was able to get in pretty close before everything distorted. Now if I could just learn to understand what I am seeing...

In the How to Read Aerial Photograph Numbers page (look at this link: http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/AirRefNo.htm) th picture "Table showing intervals of exposure giving 1" overlaps on 5x4 plate with 8" lens" is a little gem.

Very interesting info there again Attilio.
    Now when is the Col. going to produce those maps of the front in a booklet form? Then we can all set objectives for a recon from the actual photographic evidence. You can't go out on the table until you can spot the big gun on the map which is your objective. Should get our recognition skills up to scratch in no time.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Very interesting info there again Attilio.
    Now when is the Col. going to produce those maps of the front in a booklet form? Then we can all set objectives for a recon from the actual photographic evidence. You can't go out on the table until you can spot the big gun on the map which is your objective. Should get our recognition skills up to scratch in no time.

Rob.
    Oh man, I didn't know there would be a test!

Quote Originally Posted by somaliavet View Post
    Oh man, I didn't know there would be a test!
    Don'y worry about it too much Brian, I was only putting it forward to titilate the chaps who go for absolute realism in their games.
    The rest of us can just continue to slap the cards down, blast everything in sight, and run for home. I know I will.
    Rob.

in WWI Aerial Photography page:

http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/WW1_AirPhotos.htm

there a portion of a photo with a plane.

Accidentally, looking at Messines area photos:

http://lt1.mcmaster.ca/ww1/wrz4mp.php?grid=28

I found the plate:

link to Image: GRLD28 150WW1AIR.sid
    Map Reference Number: 28.J.10
    Area: Polgone De Zonnebeke

I'm not proud of this discovery

I was looking at pictures in a mixture of emotion and awe. Dozens of craters, many ruins of buildings and contours of the trenches. Always and only devastation for miles and miles ... No book can describe it all in the same way

Looks like the Moon Attilio. I see exactly what you mean. No wonder the water drainage was utterly destroyed.
    Rob.

I aded this one straight to my favorites... thanks Attilio...I am getting a nice collection of links thanks to you !

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil View Post
    I aded this one straight to my favorites... thanks Attilio...I am getting a nice collection of links thanks to you !
    Thx but I'm only exploring in deep the web site. All the credit goes to Brain He found a great link

The plane was a great find, Attila! By no means have I scratched the surface of looking at all the pics.

As you can check the maps coverage is partial. For example, Verdun area is absent. But they remain the same a little treausure.

Attilio

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Don'y worry about it too much Brian, I was only putting it forward to titilate the chaps who go for absolute realism in their games.
    The rest of us can just continue to slap the cards down, blast everything in sight, and run for home. I know I will.
    Rob.

I can do that!

I wish I had known about this website when I was designing my gaming mat! Creating No-Mans-Land would have been A LOT easier