Ares Games

Thread: WGFU: Jasta 18 - The Red Noses (Osprey)

Default WGFU: Jasta 18 - The Red Noses (Osprey)

Submit a Book Review
    Book Title:
    Jasta 18--the Red Noses
    Author:
    Greg VanWyngatden
    ISBN:
    978-1-84908-335-5
    Category:
    History
    Format:
    Paperback
    Summary:
    This is another great offering from Osprey in their Aviation Elite Unit series.
    Earlier Titles include "Richtofens Circus" & "Jasta Bolke" by the same author & "56 Sqd RFC" by Alex Revell. Alex has the 60 Sqd.one due out late this year.

Greg tells the story of the Jasta from its formation through to the Berthold Years & then the unique "Swap" of personel with Jasta 15 which sees the Jasta under the command of August Raben & the Berthold colours of Red & Blue (like Schafers DV11) changed to Red & White with the Raven image on the Fuselarge.

The book is packed with lots of great pics of both personel & Aircraft & has 12 pages of Colour Profiles of both Eras plus Stats of the Jasta Aces etc.

This is highly recommended for both the Historian & the Modeler as the Red Nose & Wings with the White Fuselarge make for a dramatic look.
    The Goring DV11 would be a perfect plane to do a repaint.

I rate this Book 5 STARS
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	37133
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 03-18-2012 at 09:13. Reason: cover picture added

I have just finished this book and have to agree with Barry on the five star rating. Some of the Ospreys are yawn worthy after a few pages of stats,but not this one. I was rivited to the story line from start to finish, never mind the wealth of info and gaming ideas to emerge from it.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Looks good - I´ll add it to my "shoul- buy-next-list"!!

Matthias

after I finish these Jasta 10 Pfalz A/C I'll be getting this and a dozen Goering DVIIs to repaint. lol

Quote Originally Posted by rote Flügel View Post
    after I finish these Jasta 10 Pfalz A/C I'll be getting this and a dozen Goering DVIIs to repaint. lol
    Where have you got a source of DVIIs Gunnar. People are falling over backwards to get any, never mind the ellusive Goering one. Even I have only one of those.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks for the review! ...looks like one I should be getting

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Where have you got a source of DVIIs Gunnar. People are falling over backwards to get any, never mind the ellusive Goering one. Even I have only one of those.
    Rob.
    Sorry Wing Co.. I meant after they reprint them.. lol.. I'm ordering a dozen just so I have them.. lol..

Similar Missions

1. WGFU: 60 Sqn RFC/RAF (Osprey)
    By gully_raker in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 21:19
  2. WGFU: Jagdstaffel 2 'Boelcke' (Osprey)
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2013, 03:44
  3. Brand New Jasta 18 Osprey Book
    By Dom S in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 10:04
  4. New Osprey Book - Jasta 18
    By Burt in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 09:44