Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F Toys and other non-Wings of War planes

Exclamation F Toys and other non-Wings of War planes

Quote Originally Posted by C Stewart View Post
    well.. I guess we are not the norm, but my boyfriend and I both share pretty much the same hobbies and interest in gaming and military aviation etc..

it helps that he was brought up on books like Biggles etc and I'm an ex naval aviator (part of the first entry of RN pilots to include female candidates)..

So... yeah, we're lucky...

Can I have a "stringbag" now please
    You need to go 1/144 scale if you're looking for that one. I picked mine up last year...

I think these were F-Toys, or some outfit like that, and I grabbed these off EBay for next to nothing.

Then drill a small hole on the underside, I think I use a 5/64ths bit; glue in a little 2mm styrene and you're all set for WoW.

EDIT: I reorganized my photobucket account, but all my pics are still up on my home page here. I think you can click on one of the buttons over to the left under my user profile info and get the links to my albums on here.

Yeah, its the third button from the left, it says "files info". that is a link to my photo albums on here.

Last edited by kaufschtick; 06-03-2010 at 08:41.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Rob u have a very nice family, and the Swordfish is a very nice model as well your painting is very good.
    Thanks for the kind words.

The Swordfish came pre-painted though, from a company called, I think it was F-Toys...or something like that. I picked them up off E-Bay for about $3.00 USD apiece, what a steal! Then I take them and drill a 5/64ths hole on the underside of them, and glue in a piece of 2mm styrene so they fit on the Wings of War flight stands. Bingo! Game on!

One of the fellows on here that goes by the tag of Roger_Wilco kept telling me that E-Bay had some fantastic deals on WWII 1/144 scale planes, but I had never done any "E-Baying" before, so I was slow to get around to what he was trying to show me.

But now that I'm a little wiser to it, there really are some great deals on there, and a terrific assortment of WWII planes. Some pre-painted & assembled, some the good ole' fashion build & paint them yourself kits.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondpjames View Post
    Truth is I've only been married the current wife for a week, so we'll have to see how it go's!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Congrats on the recent marriage Aaron! I got married back in June of this year.
    Congrats to you both!

12 years myself this past August.
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 10-21-2009 at 19:32.

I bought some of those F-Toys on eBay; two SPAD VIIs and two Albatrosses. They are a little flimsy compared to the WoW minis, and they aren't painted as well. I took the Guynemer SPAD apart, and filed down the pieces for a better fit. Then I decided to touch up a few of the rough spots. I haven't reassembled it yet, but I figure if I wait long enough, the WoW mini version will be out.

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith13 View Post
    I bought some of those F-Toys on eBay; two SPAD VIIs and two Albatrosses. They are a little flimsy compared to the WoW minis, and they aren't painted as well. I took the Guynemer SPAD apart, and filed down the pieces for a better fit. Then I decided to touch up a few of the rough spots. I haven't reassembled it yet, but I figure if I wait long enough, the WoW mini version will be out.
    I got a pair of the Guynemer Spads myself. They seem a little more "flimsy", as you say, I think because they have no metal parts and are much lighter. They are fine as models go, but I will say that I have never seen any kind of models or miniatures that are as sturdy as the Wings of War miniatures!

My 17 year old son stepped on my Belgian Sopwith Camel once, and I'm talking full on, entire weight right on the poor thing, kinda step! It wasn't a "glancing" stepping on, but a dead on crushing stepping on!

It had the devil bent out of it, but nothing actually broke! I couldn't believe it! I was actually able to bend it back into very nearly it's original shape.

Anyway, the Guynemer Spads are what you would expect from a model, and yes, compared to the WoW planes, they do seem flimsy. Funny thing, when I bought my Guynemer Spads off E-Bay, the seller had them listed as "Spud VIIs" !!!! I got them at a good price, I think it was like $2.50 USD each. I did a little bit of touch up painting on them, but not much.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

I quite like the F-Toys - I've got all 3 paint variants of the SPAd and two of the Albatros.

Married 25 years and my wife Di likes ti play Wings of War (Hurray!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by brasidas View Post
    I quite like the F-Toys - I've got all 3 paint variants of the SPAd and two of the Albatros.

Married 25 years and my wife Di likes ti play Wings of War (Hurray!!!)
    This thread looks like it has sort of been hijacked (by me, sorry!).

I didn't know there were three SPAD F-Toys variants. I have the RAF and the Guynemer versions. What is the other one?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

This thread looks like it has sort of been hijacked (by me, sorry!).

I didn't know there were three SPAD F-Toys variants. I have the RAF and the Guynemer versions. What is the other one?
    It's Baracca's Spad VII. No roundels on the wings, but the underside of the lower wing is painted completely in green, white, red (Italian flag).

It has Italian roundel on the fuselage folowed by a black prancing horse (On one side - there's a griffon on the other) and a large black X.

It has Italian colours on the rudder with a serial number.

There's a third Albatros too, which I haven't got.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by brasidas View Post
    It's Baracca's Spad VII. No roundels on the wings, but the underside of the lower wing is painted completely in green, white, red (Italian flag).

It has Italian roundel on the fuselage folowed by a black prancing horse (On one side - there's a griffon on the other) and a large black X.

It has Italian colours on the rudder with a serial number.

There's a third Albatros too, which I haven't got.
    Cool. I haven't seen that one. Those companies usually put out two paint schemes on the package, and then a third "secret" version that you have to fish for to get! Like baseball cards, smart marketing.

And now back to the wives discusion...

My wife actually encourages me with Wings Of War. And here's what I'm talking about. I have all the WWI miniatures, but couldn't wait for the WWII planes to come out last year. Currently I have 161 WWII planes ready for use with WoW, and another 80 waiting their turn on the modelling table, 1/144 scale.

US Planes
    -3 X B-17G
    -3 X B-17F
    -3 X B-25J
    -3 X B-26
    -1 X P-61
    -2 X P-38
    -2 X P-47
    -3 X P-39
    -4 X P-40E
    -4 X F6F
    -9 X SBD
    -2 X F4F
    -2 X TBF
    -3 X F4U
    -5 X P-51

BRITISH
    -8 X SPITFIRES
    -2 X HURRICANES
    -3 X SWORDFISH
    -2 X TYPHOONS
    -4 X MOSQUITOS
    -2 X F6F
    -2 X P-40

RUSSIAN
    -3 X YAK-3
    -4 X IL-2

ITALIAN
    -2 X MACCHI 202

GERMAN
    -4 X ME-262
    -2 X ME-110
    -4 X ME-109E
    -2 X HS-129
    -4 X ME-109G/K
    -3 X FW-190A
    -4 X FW-190D
    -3 X JU-88
    -3 X DO-217
    -3 X HE-111

JAPANESE
    -3 X SALLY
    -3 X NELL
    -3 X JILL
    -3 X JUDY
    -3 X GRACE
    -3 X VAL
    -3 X KATE
    -2 X GEORGE
    -2 X JACK
    -5 X ZERO
    -5 X FRANK
    -2 X DINAH

Unbuilt are all build and paint them yourself kits, and include:

-5 X JU-87
    -3 X B-24J
    -3 X HELLDIVER
    -3 X P-63
    -3 X P-51D
    -3 X P-40N
    -3 X FW-190A
    -3 X HURRICANE MK II
    -4 X P-39
    -2 X A6M3
    -2 X ME-109G
    -1 X MAVIS
    -1 X EMILY
    -1 X CATALINA
    -2 X TONY
    -2 X MERYT
    -1 X JAKE
    -2 X TOJO
    -2 X TEMPEST
    -3 X OSCAR KI-43
    -2 X P-40E
    -4 X P-40N (DIFFERENT COMPANY)
    -2 X MACCHI 200
    -2 X P-47D
    -1 X HE-111
    -2 X TBF AVENGER
    -3 G4M BETTY
    -1 X KATE
    -1 X VAL
    -2 X DEWOTINE 520
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 10-25-2009 at 21:55.

I have recently bought a Furuta 1/200 scale Me110 via eBay. It comes ready painted and even has two small bombs.

I think I might have to break down and check out one of these F Toy planes. Anyone got a link to a good seller?

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    I think I might have to break down and check out one of these F Toy planes. Anyone got a link to a good seller?
    I bought mine on eBay...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

E-bay is the best bet - do a seach for 1/144 scale airplanes or some such.

Default F-toys

Col.
    Be specific I use F-toys biplanes in toys and hobbies. Cuts to the quick. Searching 1/144 will give you a large number of hits. Try both and you will see what I mean.
    Tony

Thanks. So it looks like these are packed like collectible card games. They put out rare paint jobs that you end up paying more for?

Type in "1/144 biplanes" in search "all" Oh and the 3rd F-Toy Albatross is Richtofens

Yep, that's the I just bought this afternoon. I thought it would be kind of nice to get each of the planes he flew in.

Sure wish they'd come out with more than just the Spad VII & Alb DIII. I prefer WoW planes but these look pretty good on the table top too.

Pooh

Users Country Flag

Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Yes these are originally packaged so you don't know what you're getting. In the biplanes set there were 3 Albatros DIII, 3 Spad VII, 3 Swordfish and 3 Japanese Willows.

One of each of these was rare. BUT most e-bay retailers have opened these so you can order the 2 non-rare Spads and Albatroses easily. They usually come from Japan or Hong Kong (I got mine for about Ł4 each including postage - arrived within 10 days).

Unfortunately the "rares" seem to cost about Ł20 each (luckily I got the Baracca Spad for the usual Ł4 or so).

I'll so some photos and a review of my D.III once it shows up. I don't think I'll be paying the higher prices for the "rare" paint jobs, even if the F-Toys turn out to be really nice.

Default F-Toys biplane models

I've just uploaded pics of WW1 models from the range. Go to my Photo Album for bigger pics here.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=52

I quite like these models, they are a little more slender in appearance than the the WoW models and of course lighter as they are made from ABS plastic and have no metal components. There have been some rumours that F-Toys may produce a second series of biplanes, but I have not seen anything official that can confirm this and it may just be wishfull thinking on behalf of the sources. The models when modified by having a small plastic peg attached underneath look and fit in well with the WoW range. The quality is pretty good but I did recieve a dodgy model of Kurt Wolfs Albatross where the wing sections were not attached at 90 degrees to the fuselage. I just bought another for $3.00US and will use the dodgy one as parts for either a crashed aircraft marker or for a midair exploding plane marker I have been thinking about making.

Heres some thumbnails to show the range

Last edited by Roger Wilco; 11-10-2009 at 22:24.

Roger Wilco, where are you finding them for US$3?? Most of the ones I saw on eBay started at around US$6-$8.

Also, is the fuselage solid plastic or hollow?

The fuselage is hollow, its basically a normal style model kit that has been pre painted and assembled.
    These models are not new they have been on the market for atleast a year now. I bought all mine when they first came out, back then there were more sellers in Hong Kong and in Japan and each had between 5 and 8 of each model to sell the market was far more competitive back then than it is now. I am also a very frequent buyer to only a few select sellers who sell to me by direct communication outside of Ebay as well. My collection of WW2 models in 1/144 is as big as Kaufsticks, but most are like these F-Toy models. This 1st series of biplanes is at its end and I wouldn't be suprised if a second series is not too far away (thats if its going to happen)

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

I have a couple of the Spad 7's and Albatros III's. I painted one of the Spad 's to match the "Hangman's" plane from the old Enemy Ace comic book.

Wink f-toys

Quote Originally Posted by kaufschtick View Post
    I got a pair of the Guynemer Spads myself. They seem a little more "flimsy", as you say, I think because they have no metal parts and are much lighter. They are fine as models go, but I will say that I have never seen any kind of models or miniatures that are as sturdy as the Wings of War miniatures!
    I just found this link on ebay, if anyone's still interested:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1-144-Biplane-4A...#ht_845wt_1167

I have Richthoven's DIII, and the sky blue DIII, and a couple Spad VII's.

The quality is very good, but the construction is varies. I too had to take apart Guynemer's Spad and rebuild it. I repainted an Albatros as Voss' which looks great next to the Barons.

I like the F-toys Albatros more than WoW's but you may have to file off a bit of flashing here or there that was missed

The last remark I have is that f-toys planes are mounted on a ball joint which is fantastic for directing your plane up, down, banking left or right...,
    Just clip 1/4 off under the joint, sand it down, and fit it into a wow peg! Works great.

Good luck
    Last edited by VonDermon; 11-18-2009 at 13:56.

Default f-toys Spad VII

Minimal paint touch up and creative renumbering.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airplaines contest 020.jpg   Airplaines contest 018.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I have recently bought a Furuta 1/200 scale Me110 via eBay. It comes ready painted and even has two small bombs.
    That is same scale as Dawn of War Planes right? Is that prepainted plastic?

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
    That is same scale as Dawn of War Planes right? Is that prepainted plastic?
    it's 1/144 scale, the same as the Wings of War WW I planes. Dawn of War is 1/200 scale.

Prepainted plastic, yes.

He states that is 1/200 as I found on Ebay also. If that is the case, the Me110 should be in scale with Dawn of War planes.

My F Toys Albatros D.III showed up today. The quality of it was pretty good. It feels a lot lighter and more fragile then the WoW mini, but then it's all plastic. The struts are much thinner and look a lot better. I'll most likely pick up the other common aircraft, but I'll pass on paying a lot for the rare ones. I think these would make a good alternative for repaints as well.

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

For those of you who can't wait for the Balloon Busters:

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/armamen.../resin12mm.htm

Users Country Flag

Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by pflanzer View Post
    Minimal paint touch up and creative renumbering.
    Hey Tony,

I have 3 of these F-TOYS SPADS showing Guynemer markings. I just ordered the decals from Dom to repaint 2 of thems and put the apropriate markings on them but what color did use to touch up yours ?

I have difficulties with maching the whole sort of light yellow on the wings and fuselage !

Thumbs up F Toys and other non-Wings of War planes

I have a link here to my favorite source for F-Toys and other 144 scale planes.
    The have good and fast service!

Rich

http://www.7toys7.com/category_s/28.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bob.fr View Post
    Hey Tony,

I have 3 of these F-TOYS SPADS showing Guynemer markings. I just ordered the decals from Dom to repaint 2 of thems and put the apropriate markings on them but what color did use to touch up yours ?

I have difficulties with maching the whole sort of light yellow on the wings and fuselage !
    The pale yellow is a craft acrylic made by Delta Ceramcoat the paint is "Chamomile" . To maintain detail use thin coats. I allow overnight drying time between coats. I have also found it is best not to "work" the paint too much with your brush it tends to soften the lower coats.
    Good luck
    Tony

Smile F Toys and other non-Wings of War planes

Philippe! I think that is supposed Linen in it`s raw doped only state. All of that
    paint added weight. Poly Scale also makes a good match for that. I will try to get a link to their paint chart.

Rich

http://www.traintekllc.com/library/C...e_Acrylics.pdf

Users Country Flag

Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

The pale yellow is a craft acrylic made by Delta Ceramcoat the paint is "Chamomile" . To maintain detail use thin coats. I allow overnight drying time between coats. I have also found it is best not to "work" the paint too much with your brush it tends to soften the lower coats.
    Good luck
    Tony
    Thanks for the details Tony I appreciate that share of orecious info.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Philippe! I think that is supposed Linen in it`s raw doped only state. All of that
    paint added weight. Poly Scale also makes a good match for that. I will try to get a link to their paint chart.

Rich

http://www.traintekllc.com/library/C...e_Acrylics.pdf
    Thanks for the link Rich. Did you touch paint one of these SPADS and what do you think would be the right colour ? From the link you posted I was wondering if the TTX YELLOW would make it but I am not sure ! I was very impressed by Tony's sample since I could not see any difference between the original coat and the over coating touch paint !

Philippe! I did some more searching and found the color below at the Testors site. The real secret is if it is not a great match, do a little weathering of the plane dust, soot, oil, and dirt will help blend it in!

Rich

http://www.testors.com/products/137639

http://www.testors.com/category/1376...obby_Camoflage

Users Country Flag

Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Philippe! I did some more searching and found the color below at the Testors site. The real secret is if it is not a great match, do a little weathering of the plane dust, soot, oil, and dirt will help blend it in!

Rich

http://www.testors.com/products/137639

http://www.testors.com/category/1376...obby_Camoflage
    Thanks Rich,
    For the tips and for the search. I am very interesting at the moment in colour sources since I plan to go for an airbrush and I looking around for the brands of the market place (beside my SPAD VII project).

Philippe! Any time look at the link below on airbrushes!

Rich

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1289

Default f-toys some Spads

Two Spads one was in sad shape I did a complete repaint
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails planes 003.jpg   planes 007.jpg  

Default f-toys Albatros D111

Repaints of M. von Ricthofen DIII
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails planes 011.jpg   planes 012.jpg   planes 014.jpg   planes 013.jpg  

Repaints of M. von Ricthofen DIII
    Nice work on both the SPAD's and the Albatros. I did not like the joint line and the flat top of the rear fuselage on my four Albatros(es?). I taped the sides of the fuselage and applied some Taymia putty, let dry overnight. Took some sand paper and rounded the top of the fuselage. Then matched the paint, lost some of the black and white decal on the blue one, but I thought it improved the looks quite a bit. Also did a repaint of one as a Jasta 5 aircraft, grey fuselage, green tail (no red outline), and red spinner, now if I could only find some decals of some of the personal markings I'd be in busness.

Thumbs up f-toys Albatros D111

Tony!

Nice work. They are a good starting point for repaints!

Rich

Philippe!

I found something you might look into. Check out the link! Look at the WW1
    section!

Rich

http://www.warbirdcolors.com/

Default Reverisco/WOW Albatros

Reverisco Albatros D-V and WOW D-Va

Thumbs up Reverisco/WOW Albatros

Tony!
    That is a very nice job, it came out great!

Rich

Tony!
    That is a very nice job, it came out great!

Rich
    I second that mate, cracking paint job on the Albertross, loving the dragon

Hi Tony.
    Superb re-paints. Puts my feeble efforts at re-paints to shame. I can see that I will have to get a few of those French aircraft to practice on. They seem to have the most interesting colour schemes, if you can't stand doing German camouflage.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by krolik View Post
    For those of you who can't wait for the Balloon Busters:

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/armamen.../resin12mm.htm

Man-o-man, those sure look inviting....

Thanks again for the link!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Welcome to the Wings of War Aerodrome
    By zMaint in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 02-18-2021, 01:41
  2. Travel Wings of War (1/3 scale)