Ares Games

View Poll Results: Which paint job(s) would you like to see replaced with a new one?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Goering

29 39.73%
  • Schafer

18 24.66%
  • Udet

24 32.88%
  • None of them!

14 19.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Series 2 Reprint replacements: Fokker D.VII

Default Series 2 Reprint replacements: Fokker D.VII

Andrea has been hinting that the up coming reprints may contain new paint jobs for a few of the planes. This is supposedly based on how well the original paint job sold.

With all of that, which of these would you like to see replaced with a new paint job?

1. Goering

2. Schafer

3. Udet

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Goering for preference, definitely not Schafer - as the only one of the three with full wing lozenge, Schafer's a massive plus for anyone doing repaints....

Goering is a rare minis to find. I hope they reprint it to complete the old minis series.

Attilio

Udet is the only one that I am missing.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Goering is the only mini from Series 1-4 I have missing - My teddy would be well and truly thrown in the corner if that were done as a re-paint!

I voted on all the polls to keep them the same. I am a stay at home Dad and dont have the extra funds to buy everything at once, I would like to have the whole collection of planes but it will take some time. If they repaint some of these it will drive the price up to make them unaffordable for some of us, just like the Udet plane selling for $80-$90 on ebay, thats ridiculous.
    Just my two cents

Regarding Goering: I like the white machine - but definitely not the guy. Its perhaps a good time to replace it even if the prices for the white one could rise even more then.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marts
    Sorties Flown

The Udet and Goering planes are too individual to do any simple repaints with. Goering's would be good for a blank canvas if any models actually existed, but as I've only ever seen one I think it's all a clever ruse by Ebay to increase sales!

I had to vote leave em as is at least until i can find the three originals to add to collection. Once i got the originals i would say Goerings

There are many great DV11 paint schemes for well known pilots so would be good to see some new ones arrive. You could still use the basic Jasta colour from Schaffers & add another pilots Insignia.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    There are many great DV11 paint schemes for well known pilots so would be good to see some new ones arrive. You could still use the basic Jasta colour from Schaffers & add another pilots Insignia.
    Agree!!

I only have Schäfer and I'd like to have both others...

I went with the Goering because I seemed to see lots of those left before all the DVIIs in this area disappeared. (I wish I had bought two, it would make for a super easy cowspot repaint!) I think the Udet needs to stay. I do not have one, as many others do not as well, and if you take it off the market you just feed the people who are buying them up and reselling them while jacking the prices in the secondary market to unreachable sums...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I Can sympathize with those who don't have the complete set yet but, the more new paint schemes the better.

I guess with this one it doesn't matter. Everyone wants one.

Like I said elsewhere, rather than trade one out do a "parallel run" with the existing set as "Set 2A" and a dozen all-new schemes between all four birds (preferably drawn from existing cards wherever possible to ease that shortfall) as "Set 2B"--or maybe make Set 2B just one new scheme of each in a "Sampler Pack". (Under the former's logic, Set 1B should only be two schemes each, so that way everything starts easing up to an even half-dozen variants, or two trays in terms of the Colonel's Hangar Bags.)
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

This ones tough: I want Schafer to stay for the camo wings (repainting, as Dom says), and Goering for the blank canvas. I personally don't like the Udet paint job, but he's a top ace. If I had two Udet's, I'd be tempted to repaint one all red as a MvR what if. Maybe a nother round of the same, and then rethink new colours next time.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I need them all , and won,t pay ebay prices . So redo them all plus a mob of new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Goering for preference, definitely not Schafer - as the only one of the three with full wing lozenge, Schafer's a massive plus for anyone doing repaints....
    I agree with the point, but so long as one of the two new models has lozenge wings, it's a non-issue. Even looking to do repaints for your specific decal set, a fuselage repaint would be trivial. If they did another one with matching cross type, I'd say it's even an argument FOR replacing Schafer, since anyone who's desperate to have him has an easy option to properly repaint him.

And of course I filled out the poll wrong; I meant to select Udet as the one I'd like to see kept, since it's the most distinctive, and Udet is awesome. Of course he's already getting reprinted in the D.Va models, so I suppose it would be o.k. if we lost this one...

I would replace one of the with Kirschsteins "Optische Illusion". An all striped (not only the upper wing) Fokker D.VII would look awesome

From Nexus website:

In september, a reprint of the Wings of War WWI Deluxe Set will be available. At the same time a reissue of some of the most popular miniatures from the Series 1 of World War I planes will be available: the Spad XIII piloted by the american ace pilot Rickenbaker, Elwood's Sopwith Camel, Udet's Albatros D.Va and of course the "Red Baron" Von Richtofen's Fokker DR I.

At the same time, two new versions of each of the airplanes from WW1 Series 1 will be made available, with completely new painting schemes: the Spad XIIIs piloted by the aces Coadou and Madon; the Sopwith Camel piloted by Stackard, together with the "Germanized" Camel piloted by Kissenberth; the Albatros D.Vas of von Hippel and Jacobs; the Fokker DR Is of Kirschstein and Lothar von Richthofen.

The range will continue to be expanded by Nexus Games with new releases. A full schedule of the upcoming releases will be issued in july.

Ooooh oooh ooooh!!
    Someone bring me a drink!

I own all of the three and vote for Schafer repaint. The other airmen are much more famous and their planes are so called "climatic". It's fun to incite newcomers with a back story of Goring and Udet. "Oh, you can fly this kite as Goring, the WWII Luftwaffe Marshall. We can change history if I shot you down in flames." Just for fun, not for supporting his role in the WWII.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Voted for Udet because we already have two of him, plus it's too childish looking. There are many other possible 'cool' schemes of D VII's that would have much better appeal, IMHO.

I'd like to propose another way: Clean Slate all of Series 2, three new paintschemes on all four planes, but also a second case offering of nothing but the three original D.VII's for us who missed 'em.

I think that's a reasonable compromise, don't you?
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I have not got the Udet variant and that is the one I am after. I do not mind the Goring variant as it is a nice clean aircraft something different from all the other models.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark Duncan
    Sorties Flown

Leave Goering alone. A perfect base for repaints, with some Vallejo paint and Dom's Decals

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Baron View Post
    Leave Goering alone. A perfect base for repaints, with some Vallejo paint and Dom's Decals
    On second thought, I'll second that.

If they replaced Schafer it should be with something like Schonebeck's, giving a full length lozenge.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Schafer's paint scheme? The lozenge is great but that primary red and blue combo,

Quote Originally Posted by Lugburz View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't like Schafer's paint scheme? The lozenge is great but that primary red and blue combo,
    Not a fan meself either

Out of the three, I prefer Schafer's colors for some reason. I like Udet's cheeky writing (same with Kempf), but I feel like I should break out his plane only during X-mas

Goering because He's the only one without any German camo anywhere. Sorry Dad! I like the German camo.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Lugburz View Post
    Keegan, Stuart, and me,
    Who don't like the Schafer, make three,
    Of paint schemes, we want another one,
    And if you do, we still wont be done,
    We'll just have a new 'Mini' shopping spree!

Here's an Ode to the Nexus Fokkers:

I could while away the hours, flyin' with the central powers
    If I only had a ‘plane.
    And my head I'd be scratchin' while
    Maneuvers were busy hatchin'
    If I only had a ‘plane, if I only had a ‘plane!

Ha Ha Ha I could evan imagine the tune from Wiz of Oz nice one

like to see Goering and Udet repaint. Could do some other planes of 15 Jasta as they had the basic paint job but different markings.

I voted for them all. There is a fantastic number of cool D.VII's that need to be done, and nothing to be gained by keeping the "oldies" around forever.

I would also prefer they do *4* different Fokker fighters in the repaint series to only *2* Roland two-seaters. Same with the allied planes. The fighters are MUCH more popular. I will not buy any repainted two seaters, but will buy as many scouts as they can make.

Here 's a nice selection of some of the cool D.VII's that could be made from this website http://www.wwiaviation.com/gallery.html :

Last edited by greenalfonzo; 08-02-2011 at 15:11.

Like your suggestions there Kev, well done. There are a lot of great DVII schemes so I would be in favor of all new models. I might not like the Jasta 18 bird to be included though as the scheme is one of the easiest repaints, imo. The problem with Jasta 18 birds would be finding a decal source. I've tried to and it is hard to find the black ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by prymus View Post
    The problem with Jasta 18 birds would be finding a decal source. I've tried to and it is hard to find the black ravens.
    But pretty easy to print your own if you have an inkjet printer