Ares Games
Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,100 of 1863

Thread: Wings of Savage Mill (Maryland)

Good game, as always. Looking forward to next month.

If I were to run a campaign at the game store, would any of you be interested?

Okay, that's one. Or two, if you count me.

Me three!

By the way, at the 10,000ft level, how would a campaign work? The longer you survive, do you get some extra skills? For those like me who get shot down frequently, would we just keep restarting at the beginning level (with sides)? Would planes advance over the years from early to late war models?

Will

I'd be in for that, as well. Will, that would be the normal idea, Ace abilities for kills and finishing objectives, but getting shot down doesn't necessarily mean you don't advance. There is a crash deck to determine if the pilot survives. This also gives more reason to head for home rather than stick out the battle when you are down to a few points left. You can find the files about ace abilities here. http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...p?do=cat&id=20

Quote Originally Posted by PilotGamerHistr View Post
    Me three!

By the way, at the 10,000ft level, how would a campaign work? The longer you survive, do you get some extra skills? For those like me who get shot down frequently, would we just keep restarting at the beginning level (with sides)? Would planes advance over the years from early to late war models?
    I haven't hammered out any details yet, but I figure the campaign would begin in 1915 and work its way to the end of the war. We'd choose sides -- Germans versus British would probably work best. Each player would have a stable of pilots, maybe three. The longer each pilot survives, the more experience he would get. The experience points could be traded in for pilot skills (i.e., ace abilities).

There would also be a list of planes held by each side's squadron. At the start of the campaign, all these planes would be shiny and new. After each battle, planes with minor damage could be repaired. Planes with critical hits and major damage would be partially repaired. Replacement planes would be available at certain points during the campaign. New planes would appear about the month/year they appeared in real life.

I'm also wondering if it would be fun (and that's why we are doing this, for fun) to be able to spend pilot experience points on special abilities for planes. I'd have to work that out, but I personally like the idea.

If you'd like, I could start writing this all up in some sort of draft document. Then everyone could take a look and decide yea or nay.

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    There is a crash deck to determine if the pilot survives. This also gives more reason to head for home rather than stick out the battle when you are down to a few points left.
    Right. That would add some interesting twists to our games. I know when we first started playing this at my house I tried to get a couple pilots to survive through a few games, and it isn't easy.

Have a wade through the OTT rules stickys John and see if there is anything to help the cause in there, you may find something you can use or adapt.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    Right. That would add some interesting twists to our games. I know when we first started playing this at my house I tried to get a couple pilots to survive through a few games, and it isn't easy.
    As Flash said, there is a system for this in the OTT stickies. If a pilot gets downed, you roll for crash injuries and then returning home (harder if shot down over enemy territory etc), and the end result is how many (if any) scenarios a pilot misses (there are some KIA and POW results, too). Each player probably should have a stable of three to five pilots (with new replacements if KIA/POW).

I will take a look at them, but I like coming up with my own stuff, so I might not use them.
    Last edited by jbmacek; 04-17-2015 at 14:48.

I'm not always sure of my availability; but count me down as interested!

Ryan and I haven't been able to attend the last few months - too many activities. But we'd be interested in a career thing. We're tried getting something like that started, but survival is hard.

We did play a few games with limited ammunition - that helped survival as sometimes you just ran out of ammunition and the fight was a draw with no losses.

His birthday was yesterday and Ryan got 3 new planes, Roland, DH4 and an Aviatik.

Where are the OTT rules?

Wow, I must say this campaign mode sounds interesting! It will definitely change the game play - I know now I just fly until I die just because it's more fun for everyone, but now I may seriously contemplate retreating just to live…

-Will

Quote Originally Posted by bishop View Post
    Where are the OTT rules?
    Bob, following this link.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Campaign-Rules

Less than a week. What should we do? I have those Gotha Ursinus G.1s that I would like to use. Or, we could do something with the new planes.

Less than a week. What should we do? I have those Gotha Ursinus G.1s that I would like to use. Or, we could do something with the new planes.
    Why not both? We can do the first dog fight with new planes and then a G.1 mission. Looking at the wikipedia entry, it mentions them being used for defensive patrols. That might be interesting. Maybe they are protecting an important train station that the Entente want to take out to hinder Central Powers supply and troop movements.

Well, the new planes have yet to arrive at TFGS, so planning on them may be a bad idea. I say go with the Ursinus, and like PRS says if the new planes arrive, we can maybe use some of them in the dogfight.

What would the Ursinus be flying against?

For something different, we could do G.1s against Morane Saulniers. For something really different... Nieuport 11s!
    (I have Vampire and Fox-Trot, but that's it.)

A more challenging match would pit them against DH2s.

And as Paul suggests, we could use them in a defensive patrol scenario, so they could be guarding balloons against Nieuport 16s, etc.

So, are we all ready for something like this?
    I think the Entente is going to need a few more planes.

Looks like a standard fair 2-on-2 dogfight there.

What should we bring? More Morane-Saulniers? Some Airco DH.2? Or even it up (a.k.a. cheat) with some anachronistic later war 2 seaters like the DH4?

Will

I will be there, and am bringing my Gotha as well, but may be a bit late.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post

What would the Ursinus be flying against?
    Moraine Saulnier N (also H (XC, no guns, 9), or L (XC, B or -/B, 10) (but don't think anyone has those), Nieuport 10 (G* (no imm) B/-, or -/B, 10) and 11, Farman F.40 (XD, B, 11), Maurice Farman Shorthorn (XC,B,9), SPAD A2 (G*, b, 13) but I don't think anyone has one of those ), on the French side.

Avro 504A (XD, B, 14), BE2c, Bristol Scout (R, B, 11), Short 184 (Seaplane) (XD, -/B, 19), Sopwith Baby (K, B, 12), Vickers FB5 (XC, B, 11), on the British side.

By way of comparison, the G.I is XB, 2xB, 15.

How many XB decks are in Flight of the Giants? If one, as I expect, I guess I'm going to have to photocopy one for my own personal use.

I do have a Farman F.40.

Depending on how many players we have, we could do Ursinuses (and Fokker E.IIIs if needed) versus Moranes and/or Nieuport 11s.

How many XB decks are in Flight of the Giants? If one, as I expect, I guess I'm going to have to photocopy one for my own personal use.

I do have a Farman F.40.

Depending on how many players we have, we could do Ursinuses (and Fokker E.IIIs if needed) versus Moranes and/or Nieuport 11s.
    I should have at least one extra XB deck for you.

Okay, sounds good, because I only have one. I can bring the Caudron G.4, and we could do a recon mission with it vs the Ursinus G.1s.

Sorry for the slight off-topic, but I just wanted to get the word to everyone on this short notice:

There is a new documentary film called: The Millionaires’ Unit – U.S. Naval Aviators in the First World War
    http://www.millionairesunit.org/home.php

At 3pm on Sunday May 24 (day before Memorial day) it is playing on the big screen for only 1 show in the whole DC area.
    http://giff15.com/movies/the-millionaires-unit/

The theater is in VA near 66 & the beltway (under the 3pm listing, there is a link for directions which takes you to Google maps to locate this theater exactly.)

It is part of the GI Film Festival: http://giff15.com

I have never heard of this documentary and have no idea if it's good. But this is a rare chance to see some Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome biplanes on the big screen rather than only seeing this on the TV. I literally just heard about the movie & showing, so I am passing it along ASAP so you have time to decide if you want to see it.

I apologize again for this post - I wouldn't post this except that there is only 1 showing of the film in the DC area, so if you don't even know about it, you totally miss any chance.

Just trying to help,
    Will

I believe I have let the 1 week notice slip right by. Next game this Monday!

TFGS has gotten the new set in, so are we doing Sea planes? Any other scenario Ideas/suggestions?

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Very interesting there Will. I've never heard of these guys.

I'll be there. I'm game for whatever, and am looking forward to a hassle-free evening of biplanes shooting at each other.

I think I'll also bring a stash of Shapeways planes to sell at bargain prices - $2, $3, or $4 a pop, depending on condition...
    Last edited by jbmacek; 06-06-2015 at 03:54.

So, turns out Google is taking pics of the mall on Monday. This shouldn't impact our game (we may get a bit of a late start), but Steve has asked me to set up a game to make his game room look nice. Any suggestions for what I should set up?

From an advertising standpoint, if you have a game mat, a balloon, and a swarm of attacking/defending fighters, that would make a good attention-getter.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    From an advertising standpoint, if you have a game mat, a balloon, and a swarm of attacking/defending fighters, that would make a good attention-getter.
    Ahh, but WHICH swarm? I'm thinking I can set up a pair of balloons as a "barrage", defended by a set of 4 Lafayette Escadrille Nieuport 17s, and being attacked by 3 Jasta 37 Albatros D.Vas, to open up a hole for a pair of Gothas coming in off the end of the map.

I've also got a set of 4 Jasta 15 Fokker D.VIIs, and 7 Jasta 19 Fokker Dr.1s, but I can't think of a good scenario to use them in, and the only other allied flight I have is 6 Snipes, which are visually boring.

Ahh, but WHICH swarm? I'm thinking I can set up a pair of balloons as a "barrage", defended by a set of 4 Lafayette Escadrille Nieuport 17s, and being attacked by 3 Jasta 37 Albatros D.Vas, to open up a hole for a pair of Gothas coming in off the end of the map.
    I think you have a good overview right there-wide range of aircraft from the game, a scenario that shows off several of the flexible design aspects, visually striking models, the whole works. Yeah, there's always the desire to work in what are typically under-used models & such, but the idea you've already outlines is way better than trying to de everything at once.

I'll be there. I'm game for whatever, and am looking forward to a hassle-free evening of biplanes shooting at each other.

I think I'll also bring a stash of Shapeways planes to sell at bargain prices - $2, $3, or $4 a pop, depending on condition...
    Damn, I was not going to show up today but now I may have to, just to buy some planes...

I've also got a set of 4 Jasta 15 Fokker D.VIIs, and 7 Jasta 19 Fokker Dr.1s, but I can't think of a good scenario to use them in, and the only other allied flight I have is 6 Snipes, which are visually boring.
    I suggest adding some Gotha's or Capronis--they may show up better than the scouts and double seaters given their size.

Quote Originally Posted by tusekine View Post
    Damn, I was not going to show up today but now I may have to, just to buy some planes...
    Well hey, I was thinking of not showing up today, except I want to sell some of these planes to make more room for game stuff. I have a wide range, including some official planes (Brisfit, N.17), as well as some that aren't my designs (an SSW D.IV in FUD).
    Last edited by jbmacek; 06-08-2015 at 11:02.

I have a box of planes with a bunch of stuff in it. Some of them are in ziplock baggies, some are loose. I'll sell the whole box for $40, which I believe I calculated out to be $2.50 per plane. Some of them are a little rickety (a broken machinegun here and there, a broken rocket, etc), but others are pristine. Included are a couple Dolphins, which may be one of my best, as well as another of my best - the Halberstadt CL.IV.

One week notice. I'd like to do something with the new planes. We could try a scenario with flying boats like John did where a plane has crashed in the water and survivors need to be rescued. Since the M5 is a single seater, that doesn't make much sense, so perhaps there is a ship that is disabled but it is carrying stolen Maguffin plans. The flying boats need to land and collect the documents before the Central Powers planes can sink the ship to keep the plans out of Entente hands.

I posted a few reminders/invites/notices on Facebook just now...

July 1915, Fokkers vs Moranes?

July 1915, Fokkers vs Moranes?
    Jump starting the campaign?

We could theoretically do both.

I'm confused - is this all the same thing? I was liking the novelty of the seaplane rescue (for once my pilot should end up in the drink rather than going splat on the ground after being shot up). Is the Fokker/Morane part of this or separate (two separate games that night)? I'm up for either if we can do only one, I'd like to eventually get to see these seaplanes in flight (other than the odd sight of the one in last months large dogfight), so lets not forget them (if we do the seaplanes, do we have a table mat with water for them?) I am looking forward to starting the campaign too, though, so I'm good with whichever game others want.

I'm fine with seaplanes... also, the other Mike is up at UNH for a conference, and I'd hate to start any campaign without him.

The Wings of Glory mats have water, and the Sails is open water. I suggest we use those.

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    One week notice. I'd like to do something with the new planes. We could try a scenario with flying boats like John did where a plane has crashed in the water and survivors need to be rescued. Since the M5 is a single seater, that doesn't make much sense
    Except a home-town hero won the Medal of Honor for doing that very thing.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Hammann
    And he is buried in Dundalk. I need to pay my respects the next time I visit.
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&PIpi=14151277

The question is do we have enough flying boats?

The question is do we have enough flying boats?
    Sorry, am not bringing my planes today so no flying boats from my side (the one time everyone wants to do flying boats!),

I will likely be late so don't wait for me for the first game.

Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast