Ares Games

Thread: 43 Sqdn Repaints with cards

Default 43 Sqdn Repaints with cards

I've repainted six Sopwith Camels to represent 'A' flight of the 43 Sqdn RAF. Max was kind enough to create cards to go along with the airplanes. I used the Aerodrome Accessories decals with this project.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZCamelE.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	11259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-03-31_20-44-37_453.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	11262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZCamelA.jpg 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	11261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-03-31_20-45-45_403.jpg 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	11260

You get the idea. I have all six planes ready to fly.

The Card set has been uploaded into the Files section.
    Last edited by usmc1855; 04-06-2011 at 14:16.

Brian, if you want some additional recognition markings, at one stage 43 also had their sqn marking of two white sloping bars repeated on the upper wing, one each side of the centre section cutout.

More good work, these and the cards really do inspire the old repaint gene

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Brian, if you want some additional recognition markings, at one stage 43 also had their sqn marking of two white sloping bars repeated on the upper wing, one each side of the centre section cutout.
    I've seen that, but with aircraft other than the Camel. I think I saw the 43d marked as such on the SE5a.

Max certainly gets a better crispness to his cards than I can. Must be my printer or the lack of quality of my original pictures.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by usmc1855 View Post
    I've seen that, but with aircraft other than the Camel. I think I saw the 43d marked as such on the SE5a.
    Brian, 43 was a 'rotary' sqn, going from 1-1/2 Strutters to Camels to Snipes. However, 1 and 84 Sqns were SE5a sqns which both carried a similar sqn marking to 43 at one time, although I don't recall ever seeing photos of either of them carrying the marking on the wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Brian, 43 was a 'rotary' sqn, going from 1-1/2 Strutters to Camels to Snipes. However, 1 and 84 Sqns were SE5a sqns which both carried a similar sqn marking to 43 at one time, although I don't recall ever seeing photos of either of them carrying the marking on the wing.

It may have been Snipes I'm thinking of which I saw with the otehr style markings for 43 Sqdn.

Brian, good call. There's a photo on the inside cover of the Windsock DF of 2 43 Sqn Snipes, one of which has the overwing markings.

Here is the finished product.

'A' Flight, 43 Squadron:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43 Sqdn Pic 1.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	11301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43 Sqdn Pic 2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	11300

I must complete mine. I only did A,C,and E. They do spell it out to the enemy though. Your full flight look so good, I am now on the Quest for more Camels.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Excellent, very inspiring. Unfortunately SWMBO has seen me looking and categorically said NO (sigh)