Ares Games

Thread: RFC SOPWITH CAMEL SQAUDRONS, I NEED IMAGES OF SQUADRON MARKINGS

Default RFC SOPWITH CAMEL SQAUDRONS, I NEED IMAGES OF SQUADRON MARKINGS

I've completed the Sopwith Camel, RNAS 9 Squadron (thanks to the Aerodrome Accessories decal set), and I am only two Albatros DVa's shy of having enough planes to do the full 12 planes of Jasta 37 (thanks to the decals from Dom's Decals).

I have a few generic Decal sets for RFC Squadrons, and I have accumulated enough additional Sopwith camel Miniatures to complete at least one flight of another Squadron. What I am missing however, are the pictures from which I can know how to do the correct markings for an historic Squadron from the RFC (or RNAS).

If any one out there has a book with pictures of a British Sopwith Camel Squadron that shows what, how and where the squadron markings where placed on the planes, and can scan those pictures and post them here, or e-mail them to me, I would be very grateful.

If you can help me, please post the images here, or PM me here on the forum and I'll reply with my e-mail address.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by usmc1855; 02-24-2011 at 15:47.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Best bet by far is the Windsock Datafile special "Sopwith Camel Squadrons". I also hear rumours that if someone ever gets his mail order up to date there may be a 45 squadron decal set in the pipeline. Just a rumour though, obviously....

Not sure how many you need Brain, but here are a few;

Camel D6402 of Capt H W Woollett, No 43 Sqn, Touquin, Summer 1918

Capt Woollett was No 43 Sqn’s top scorer, and he flew Camel D6402 ‘S’ between March and July 1918. When the machine still featured the unit’s white triangle marking, Woollett had two white fuselage bands applied between the triangle and the tail. He later had white blotches painted all over the Camel as additional camouflage for when he undertook hazardous ‘balloon busting’ missions, but these were later ordered to be painted out. This profile depicts D6402 with the new squadron markings of two white sloping bars on either side of the roundel. The ‘S’ now appears on the top decking and not on the fuselage sides, the fin is marked with horizontal red, white and blue lines and the fighter’s serial is worn on the rudder. Woollett’s personal dragon marking was painted on both sides of the fuselage below the cockpit according to Jim Beedle’s definitive volume on No 43 Sqn.

Camel B5620 of Capt H H Balfour, No 43 Sqn, Avesnes-le-Comte, Spring 1918

One of No 43 Sqn’s flight commanders in the spring of 1918, Capt H H Balfour enjoyed some success with B5620 ‘A’. Indeed, he claimed seven victories with it in February and March 1918. Note the leader’s pennants fixed to the wing struts. The Camel’s wheel covers appear to be white.

Camel B5608 of Lt C F King, No 43 Sqn, Avesnes-le-Comte, March 1918

Lt King scored victories three to six with B5608 in February and March 1918. Its markings were standard for No 43 Sqn at the time, consisting of a white triangle aft of the fuselage roundel and an individual identification letter forward of the national marking. Flown by a deputy flight leader, the Camel flew a pennant from its rudder.

Camel B6299 of Flt Lt N M MacGregor, 10 Naval Squadron, Teteghem, late 1917

Flt Lt MacGregor gained his last two victories with this aircraft in late 1917. It then briefly served with 9 Naval Squadron, before being passed on to a training depot at Chingford. As a ‘B Flight’ aircraft, it was identified by the ‘B’ aft of the cockpit and red and white stripes over the forward area and cowling, and in this case, on the top decking aft of the cockpit as well.

Camel B5663 of Flt Lt W A Curtis, 10 Naval Squadron, Teteghem, late 1917

Flt Lt Curtis used this aircraft to secure his 11th victory in late 1917. On 23 January 1918 it was in collision with an Albatros Scout and lost, its pilot Flt Sub-Lt Blyth being killed. The German pilot was also killed, although he was credited with the victory. Although reported to have fallen locked together, they appear to have separated near the ground, and this Camel landed pretty well intact. As an aircraft of ‘A Flight’, it carried this letter aft of the cockpit, and the forward stripes were black and white, as were the wheel covers.

Camel B6289 of Flt Lt W M Alexander, 10 Naval Squadron, Teteghem, January 1918

This aircraft was used by Flight Commander Flt Lt W M Alexander to score his second Camel victory (and his 13th kill overall) on 23 January 1918. This was the Camel’s third success, Flt Sub-Lt H L Nelson having downed two aircraft in 1917. It then went to 9 Naval Squadron, and eventually back to England, where B6289 was destroyed in a crash in June 1918. Another ‘A Flight’ machine denoted by the ‘A’ by the cockpit, the fighter boasts a black star on its white wheel covers. Each Camel had differing motifs on their wheel covers as a personal identification marking.

These are all form the Osprey book, Sopwith Camel Aces of World War 1

I'm going to work to recreate No. 43 Squadron (well... one six plane flight of them actually). I'll get some Decal sheets, and make some triangular decals to mark the planes with the White triangles.

Make sure to show us some pics when they are all done!

Will do. It will be a few weeks, as I have to get the order in, and receive the Decal sheets. I'm working on the art now.

Brian, now that Keith sent you some great "helper" pics...would love to see how your project unfolds...

Well... so far, I've taken two Elwood Sopwith Camels, and so far have painted over the Hearts on the upper wings of one of them, as well as on the fuselages (of both). I've also taken 4x Olieslager Camels, and painted over the national markings on the upper wings and along the fusalages and the on the tails. I have to apply Brotish colors (deacls) to the tails of the former Olieslager Camels, as well as British Roundels to the wings and fuselage, then I'll have to make and apply the triangular squadron markings, and individual aircraft identifier numbers or letters. I'm using the Aerodrome Accessories decals for the Roundels and the individual aircraft identifier number/letter.

This is what they look look at the moment:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unfinsihed camels.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	9737

Quote Originally Posted by usmc1855 View Post
    Well... so far, I've taken two Elwood Sopwith Camels, and so far have painted over the Hearts on the upper wings of one of them, as well as on the fuselages (of both). I've also taken 4x Olieslager Camels, and painted over the national markings on the upper wings and along the fusalages and the on the tails. I have to apply Brotish colors (deacls) to the tails of the former Olieslager Camels, as well as British Roundels to the wings and fuselage, then I'll have to make and apply the triangular squadron markings, and individual aircraft identifier numbers or letters. I'm using the Aerodrome Accessories decals for the Roundels and the individual aircraft identifier number/letter....
    Ah!...they're WWI "stealth" fighters!

Quote Originally Posted by usmc1855 View Post
    Well... so far, I've taken two Elwood Sopwith Camels, and so far have painted over the Hearts on the upper wings of one of them, as well as on the fuselages (of both). I've also taken 4x Olieslager Camels, and painted over the national markings on the upper wings and along the fusalages and the on the tails. I have to apply Brotish colors (deacls) to the tails of the former Olieslager Camels, as well as British Roundels to the wings and fuselage, then I'll have to make and apply the triangular squadron markings, and individual aircraft identifier numbers or letters. I'm using the Aerodrome Accessories decals for the Roundels and the individual aircraft identifier number/letter.

This is what they look look at the moment:

Name:	Unfinsihed camels.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	9737
    Looking marvelous so far!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Here are updated pictures. All that remains to be applied are the actual Squadron specific insignias, which will be a White Triangle on the sides of the Fuselage,between the Roundal and the tail of the plane.

Name:	43 Sqd 1.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	11034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43 Sqdn 2.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	11032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43 Sqdn 3.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	11033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 Sqdn 4.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	11035

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Extraordinary, Simply fabulous!! I now suffer from Camel Envy!

awesome job.. those look really good.. and the cards are the icing on the cake.. I just hope my jasta 10 unit looks half as good

Amazing that is some fine work well done. Camel envy, flight envy, envy envy.
    Linz

What a superb looking flight they are. I now need three more Camels. I only have three repainted so far A, C, and E. When the Hun sees them coming, they have a good idea of what they are in for though, without having to spell it out to them.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Brian excelent, wish wish wish but SWMBO still about.
    Wait a minute though would the rumour mill ref the decals be looking at fairly soon along with the Jasta 18? If I cant get Nexus, Skytrex will be getting money from me at triples for both 43 sqn & Jasta

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Brian excelent, wish wish wish but SWMBO still about.
    Wait a minute though would the rumour mill ref the decals be looking at fairly soon along with the Jasta 18? If I cant get Nexus, Skytrex will be getting money from me at triples for both 43 sqn & Jasta
    I used the Decal Set from Aerodrome Accessories for these planes. I did however, have to make my own Triangle Decals for the Sqdn specific markings.

Brian!

Great job, an impressive display of force!

Rich

Yes, they look very good man!

Similar Missions

1. Reviresco Sopwith Camel Build Project
    By The Cowman in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 18:03
  2. Scratch-Built Sopwith Camel
    By TaltosVT in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 12:55
  3. David Ingalls' Sopwith Camel