Ares Games

Thread: Scratch-Built Sopwith Camel

Default Scratch-Built Sopwith Camel

As I mentioned in my introduction last night, I've started work on building a Sopwith Camel from scratch. My goal is to use whatever materials I can find around the house.

My daughter eats roughly 150 Popsicles a day. It may be less than that, but that's my quick estimate based on the number of wooden Popsicles sticks I find tucked in various places. As it turns out, a Popsicle stick is the perfect width for a wing in 1/144 scale.

My first step was to cut two two pieces to use for the wings.

After the pieces were cut, I spent 20 or 30 minutes with a piece of sandpaper, thinning and shaping the upper wing.

That was as far as I made it last night. Tonight I was able to make a little more progress. First, I glued four sticks together and bound them with elastic bands to create a laminated block which will later be used to create the fuselage.

While that was drying, I shaped the second wing, and apparently lost some hair in the process.

Once the laminated block was dry, I cut it down to size, and compared it to the official model.

I then roughed out the shape of the plane's body.

Finally, I sanded the body, and cut a bit from a round LEGO brick to use for the engine housing.

The final photo for tonight shows how the pieces will roughly fit together, and how the model compares so far to the one that I'm using for inspiration.

Tomorrow I hope to work on the engine casing some more to thin it out, then maybe see if I can work on getting the wings attached.

-Elroy

Looks great and coming along nicely. I love these kind of posts inspires me to do more scratch build myself. Thanks for sharing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	not worthy.gif 
Views:	775 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	9530 I LOVE IT!!!!! Freakin' Awesome! Click image for larger version. 

ID:	9530
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Good heavens! That looks like a great project! I eagerly await pictures of your progress.

Is there no end to the ingenuity of you chaps. It astounds me what you can turn into aircraft so speedily. Why does it take Nexus so long? Have any of you thought of applying for a product designer's job with them? It could mean the end to all our problems. Spiffing job Elroy.Can't wait to see how you tackle those guns.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

A very nice beginning on your little project. Can't wait to see more!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

ID:	9530 I LOVE IT!!!!! Freakin' Awesome! Click image for larger version. 

ID:	9530
    Second that!

Awesome!

petitbilbo

Bravo! I can't wait to see the finished product!
    Never underestimate the power of Popsicle sticks, or if you need something a little less wide, those wooden coffee stirrers come in handy too.

Awesome project. Keep us informed.

Nicely done!...anxiously awaiting the final product. I never knew that those old popsicle sticks had such a great future life as potential aircraft...hmmm, if I save up 2,344,538 of them, I could build a full size eindecker. Of course I'd still need 9,425 rolls of used dental floss for the wiring arrangement

NICE!
    I love creativity!

Very nice, looks very promising!
    Please keep us updated.

That looks great.

Wow! Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. Hopefully posting here will keep me motivated to finish.

Only a few photos tonight. It felt like I worked a lot, but didn't make much progress.

First thing that I did this evening was to file a notch into the bottom of the fuselage so that I could attach the lower wing. With that in place, I attached my engine cowling piece to a drill bit and ran it over some sandpaper to thin it out a bit so that I could attach it to the front.

The twin machine guns were created from a bit of wire from burnt out sparklers left over from Independence Day last summer. I have no idea why I kept used sparklers, but now I'm finding them useful.

Once everything was dry, I took a tiny bit of Sculpey clay and covered the guns to create the Camel's hump. I also used a tiny bit to smooth out the sides, blending the cowling into the fuselage.

Finally, another bit of Sculpey was pushed into the engine housing to create the engine itself. I used a small file to create the detail inside. I also hollowed out a small cockpit and attempted to sculpt a tiny pilot, both of which are difficult to see in the blurry photo (need to get my auto-focus fixed).

I started to create the supports for the upper wings using more of the sparkler wire, but I'm not really happy with how they turned out. I'm going to sleep on that one and see if I can find a different solution.

I may boil or steam the piece before I go any further to harden the Sculpey. Steaming may also allow me to slant the wings up a bit, depending on how well the glue holds when it's wet.

Thanks again for all the kind words. I really like building things out of scrap material, but I've never worked at this scale before. It's kind of fun.

Also, if anyone has suggestions for a paint scheme, I'm open to ideas.

-Elroy

Looks incredible so far... if this turns out as awesome as I think it will I may beg you if you can do a slightly altered version for me... (for compensation of course!) I have a Camel Mod I want to do that requires the cockpit to be pushed back in the fuselage a bit... and this seems like the perfect solution to the issue.. Paint scheme: Have you considered doing a dark schemed CP Captured Camel?
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Beautimus

Love the idea of popcicle sticks. Much stronger than balsa (my usual choice). If you don't button it all up too much you could resin cast that puppy

G1

Quote Originally Posted by Getter 1 View Post
    Beautimus

Love the idea of popcicle sticks. Much stronger than balsa (my usual choice). If you don't button it all up too much you could resin cast that puppy

G1
    Strength was actually one of my first thoughts when I was trying to decide what to use. I have a two year-old at home who has become as fascinated with the tiny planes as I have. Unfortunately she's not quite as gentle with them as I am.

I think I've decided on a paint scheme as well. I came across this page on the markings of the 112th squadron: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazin...le_112sqn1.htm. I really like the black nose and the thought of a craft being painted specifically for night fighting.

I'm not sure about resin casting. That's one of those crafts that I've always wanted to try, but so far haven't. It's still on my "try this someday" list.

-Elroy

Thanks for the link on the history of 112 Squadron. Good stuff! I may have to do them in both WW1 and WW2 planes.

That was a very interesting atticle altogether. Thanks Elroy.
    Rob.

Amazing work and a very nice way of recycling popsicle-sticks: ecological creativity at its best !

What is it with those double posts anyway?
    Last edited by Bluedevil; 02-26-2011 at 12:36. Reason: double post so...

I can't wait to see how this will turn out.

I made more progress today.

First, I cut some square toothpicks to use as wing supports and glued those in place. So far, the supports have been the most difficult part of the process. I had a horrible time getting them to stay in place.

Next I cut, shaped, and sanded the tail pieces.

The two pieces were then glued together and checked for placement.

I was afraid that the tail would fall off since there wasn't much to glue to. I added a bit of toothpick beneath the tail to give it more surface area, which worked out well. Now that it's on, it seems pretty sturdy, and toothpick extension blends well with the main fuselage.

Next step was a coat of primer. The wood soaked this up much more than I expected. I decided to paint before I add the top wing so that I have more space to swing a brush in.

For the underside I had to mix my own color. A bit of yellow and a lot of white yielded a color that is really close to the original.

I had a photo the painted underside, but it was too blurry for public consumption.

The main paint job was next. The photo shows it in rough form, with the black still a bit wet. After the photos I went back and did some touch-up work.

Finally, a shot of the upper wing in place just to see how it looks. The front supports will need to be trimmed a bit.

After the photos, I actually started to paint the roundels and tail detail. As soon as I started I realized that I don't have any blue paint, so the national colors may have to wait a bit.

-Elroy

Looks good

For the struts you could drill lightly into the wing for a divet that the strut can sit in. Would add to ease of the gluing and alignment.

For sealing the wood, Apple Barrel type acrylic paint is good stuff. Lightly sand between coats.

Ever thought of making the markings as a print out? Print em, cut em out, and glue them on as decals.

Can't wait to see it all finished up. Keep it up.

G1

Those are the luckiest popsicle sticks in the entire Universe! Look Great so far!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

This is really moving along nicely...thanks for the step-by-step pics!

I take my hat of to a fellow model maker. It is such an economical way to use resources, and to produce such an inovative answer to the weakness of using balsa.
    Rob.

Coming along very nicely. Reminds me of the O-1 Bird Dog I built in 1/200 many years go for my 10mm Vietnam games. Having been inspired, I've been looking around here for any bits and pieces that I might be able to use to scratch build a Hanriot. The kids are wondering why Daddy is suddenly keen to get them ice lollies

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Coming along very nicely. Reminds me of the O-1 Bird Dog I built in 1/200 many years go for my 10mm Vietnam games. Having been inspired, I've been looking around here for any bits and pieces that I might be able to use to scratch build a Hanriot. The kids are wondering why Daddy is suddenly keen to get them ice lollies
    Don't go spending your money on the brats Dave. You can pick up a whole box of lolly sticks from either Hobbycraft or Iceland for next to nothing, and they don't have sticky patches.
    Rob.

Stunning quite inspirational.If only I could do it without sticking my fingers together.......

Thumbs up Two Thumb Up

Very very nice. Inspiring too. Might be the answer to the dearth of D7s, and a few other types I'm looking at. (says Karl, who should be upstairs right now working on room orginizing so he has a place to model ).
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thumbs up

The tools are the best part, may I suggest a little 3-IN-ONE

Kidding aside, your work is awesome can't wait to see it finished. Very creative!

Quick question: what did you use to glue the fusalage layers with?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Very Impressive! I would like to see the final product. Do I see an entire squadron in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Getter 1
    For the struts you could drill lightly into the wing for a divet that the strut can sit in. Would add to ease of the gluing and alignment.
    I really should invest in a pin vise so that I can try that. I attempted to put divets in the wood with a nail, but I was afraid I was going to split the wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Getter 1
    Ever thought of making the markings as a print out? Print em, cut em out, and glue them on as decals.
    That's not a bad idea. I've had luck in the past, while model railroading, with printing images on plain paper, then sanding the back until the paper is tissue thin. It's difficult to handle, depending on the size, but it works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Algynon
    If only I could do it without sticking my fingers together.......
    That's actually why my wife won't let me near the Super Glue any more.

Quote Originally Posted by nodegamra
    The tools are the best part, may I suggest a little 3-IN-ONE
    Yeah, I keep meaning to clean those up. They came out of my grandfather's toolbox, and some of them belonged to my great-grandfather. Unfortunately most of the tools were caked in rust. It was like an archaeological dig when I was going through everything for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager
    Quick question: what did you use to glue the fusalage layers with?
    I've been using plain old wood glue for the entire project. I think the one I have is Elmer's brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladius
    Do I see an entire squadron in the future?
    Possibly. I have Zeppelins on the brain though. I was researching those last night, and I think I can clear enough space in my work area to build one. If I have my measurements right, it would between three to four feet long. The tricky part will be making it so that it will break down for transportation to games.

-Elroy

For the Zepp, try using rare earth magnets to hold the sections together.

A bit more progress.

I cleaned up the rough paint job and started detailing. I added colors to the tail, and roundels to the upper and lower wing. The roundels are plain printer paper. For the upper wing, I painted out the white to match the night-time camouflage scheme.

I also detailed the front a bit, and started on the frame for the wheels.

Next I need to finish off the wheels, add the interior wing struts, and maybe darken up the paint a bit. I was also reading this evening that night-fighters had their guns mounted above the wing, so I may paint over the ones I have on the nose and add some new ones up above.

-Elroy

Looks awesome... I have a Comic repaint in my "to do" list and I am wondering if a scratch built wooden fusleage would make moving back the cockpit a bit easier...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

lookin good

G1

Nice, I might try and tackle it myself!

Similar Missions

1. Scratch built Drachen - My first paper model!
    By nodegamra in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 09-15-2011, 10:38
  2. David Ingalls' Sopwith Camel
    By Coog in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-02-2011, 14:41
  3. Scratch-built Gotha G.IV
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-07-2010, 21:43