Ares Games

Thread: Army Vehicle Insignia.

Default Army Vehicle Insignia.

I have been researching into the markings shown on various vehicles used both by the Central Powers and the Allies during the conflict. it appears that on most tanks and lorrys of both sides no markings were in evidence. The exception being Red Cross, the odd W.D. and broad arrow, plus a larger selection on U.S. vehicles. Little or no camo seems to have been used.
    Does this agree with what other people have found, or am I way off with my conclusions?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I looked in to this when I was working on a set of WW1 armies a few years back. Apart from camouflage patterns on German and French tanks I've found most WW1 vehicles to be pretty unispiring in terms of colour schemes. Some British tanks sported Red/White/red vertical stripes (as seen during WW2 in the desert). National flags painted on tanks and armoured cars, particularly French and Belgian, seemed to be fairly popular.

There is (or rather was) a decent Blandford book on WW1 vehicles that showed what few markings and camo schemes there were to good effect. I'll see if I can dig out the details.

Thanks Dave.
    This is all to do with AA units and balloon winch trucks plus of course my little tanks, colonel.(In German Accent)
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Italian WWI Royal Army and Navy Aviation Models
    By Attila57 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 12:56
  2. Personal Insignia
    By =Binks= in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-25-2010, 23:58
  3. Jasta 19 insignia
    By Belis4rius in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 1