Ares Games

Thread: Jammed Guns House Rule

Default Jammed Guns House Rule

O.K. guys how about this for a house rule. If you are flying and you shoot at someone and he or she shows you the jam gun symbol all damage cards gotten on that hit are put back in the pile and shuffled back into the deck. Even if you get 2 cards for a close shot both go back. If you are using limited ammo then the pilot that shot, and got jammed guns, after the shuffling is done picks another card for his limited ammo. This way he doesn't loose a shot cause he had a jam and didn't use any bullets.

Got the idea from this youtube vid.

What do you guys think. Am I crazy or what? ...don't answer that...
    Tom

I think I see what you mean...
    You're saying that every bullet has a chance of jamming the guns, (unless they've been checked, which is a whole different enchilada. Anyway, I think that is a good idea, but don't all the cards just get shuffled again once the deck runs out, including the jammed ones? Now about limmited ammo, I've thought about that a few times, but I've never seen a thread or anything in the rulebooks about it. By the way, I have all the rulebooks.
    Last edited by Aero825; 02-18-2011 at 14:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Aero825 View Post
    I think I see what you mean...
    You're saying that every bullet has a chance of jamming the guns, (unless they've been checked, which is a whole different enchilada. Anyway, I think that is a good idea, but don't all the cards just get shuffled again once the deck runs out, including the jammed ones? Now about limmited ammo, I've thought about that a few times, but I've never seen a thread or anything in the rulebooks about it. By the way, I have all the rulebooks.
    You've got it. Right when you pull the trigger the gun jams so the cards you picked get shuffled back into the deck. It's just another way to play the game.

That makes it a bit hard on the firer. He can't shoot for four turns in that case in effect. In my reading I often see examples of " I only got off a short burst and then my guns jammed. in that case the shots must have taken effect before the jam. I don't subscribe to the jam today and jam tomorrow scenario from the recepient's point of view.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 02-19-2011 at 04:49.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I see what your saying. So let the shooter only take 2 jam tokens then. I was just a thought that popped into my head. It think in a dogfight it would be a fun option to bring to the game. You think your getting shot then boom the enemies guns jam. Ha saved for another round.

Tom
    Last edited by CappyTom; 02-19-2011 at 04:52.

That would do it O.k. Tom. and add a bit of suspense for the recipient if he drew the jammed card second. Just imagine the Explosion card drawn before a jammed guns card.What a let off.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    That would do it O.k. Tom. and add a bit of suspense for the recipient if he drew the jammed card second. Just imagine the Explosion card drawn before a jammed guns card.What a let off.
    Rob.

lol

Interesting idea...we just play using the "stock" rules...might try it later...

How about a compromise, restricting that to red jams only and playing greens as normal ?

Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post
    How about a compromise, restricting that to red jams only and playing greens as normal ?
    That sounds good too.

I could buy in to that as a "try me" ...

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Sounds like a plan. When I make it down or you make it up, we'll try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    That sounds good too.
    Does that mean we are going to try it out this Saturday?
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I don't see why we can't. MayorJim do you think you could make it up this Saturday? Now we are going to be getting a lot of new pilots, I'm hoping.

Not a bad idea. This thread has got me to thinking that when firing at close range, each damage card should be drawn one at a time and the effect applied before the next card is drawn.

This way if a jam was drawn on the first card, the second card would not be drawn at all. Any damage from the first card ( like the 3 point jam card) would still be applied.

Doing it that could really effect games where Giants are flying. In my last game I flew the Gotha, I had two rounds of both guns firing at close range on a single target... it was great handing him 4 damage cards a turn!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Not a bad idea. This thread has got me to thinking that when firing at close range, each damage card should be drawn one at a time and the effect applied before the next card is drawn.

This way if a jam was drawn on the first card, the second card would not be drawn at all. Any damage from the first card ( like the 3 point jam card) would still be applied.

Doing it that could really effect games where Giants are flying. In my last game I flew the Gotha, I had two rounds of both guns firing at close range on a single target... it was great handing him 4 damage cards a turn!
    That's a nice twist too. Good job Colonel.

That seems an eminently satisfactory way of dealing with the problem Col. I shall employ that in my next game.
    Rob.

Originally Posted by CappyTom
    "Sounds like a plan. When I make it down or you make it up, we'll try it out.
    I don't see why we can't. MayorJim do you think you could make it up this Saturday? Now we are going to be getting a lot of new pilots, I'm hoping. "

I don't know...It looks slim for Sat...but I'll dbl chk w/ the Lt Col...

Originally Posted by CappyTom
    "Sounds like a plan. When I make it down or you make it up, we'll try it out.
    I don't see why we can't. MayorJim do you think you could make it up this Saturday? Now we are going to be getting a lot of new pilots, I'm hoping. "

I don't know...It looks slim for Sat...but I'll dbl chk w/ the Lt Col...
    Well Jim it would be great to have you up. Did you want me to ask the Lt Col. for ya?

Well Jim it would be great to have you up. Did you want me to ask the Lt Col. for ya?
    LOL! ...she could probably be bribed if you wanted to clean house, do a load of laundry, etc., etc.

LOL! ...she could probably be bribed if you wanted to clean house, do a load of laundry, etc., etc.
    I'm right there with you. hehe

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marts
    Sorties Flown

Now about limmited ammo, I've thought about that a few times, but I've never seen a thread or anything in the rulebooks about it.
    It would be fairly simple to do but requires a little book keeping. On average MGs had 20 seconds worth of ammo, so each time you hand out a damage card strike one from this total. This would probably be a good thing to keep secret.

We simply give each player 8-10 damage cards from the deck for limited ammo. When a player shoots, they hand the enemy one of their damage cards. If shooting at close range, the second card comes from the community deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    We simply give each player 8-10 damage cards from the deck for limited ammo. When a player shoots, they hand the enemy one of their damage cards. If shooting at close range, the second card comes from the community deck.
    Can you expand a bit? I presume you pre-shuffle/deal the cards to each player prior to starting (or at the 1st instance of need)? Aslo, back on topic jamming...I guess it just makes sense to draw damage cards one at a time...if the 1st card is an MG jamb, then no further draws from that attacking plane should be pulled...unless playing with the Ace rule, then depends if the card is green or red.

Yes, at the start of the game all the players randomly pull out 8 cards from the correct damage deck type. Two seaters pull 8 for both the front and rear guns (they are kept separately). The left over cards form the community deck where the other damages in the game are drawn from.

Similar Missions

1. Anyone got a dive damage house rule?
    By Archidamus in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 15:07
  2. House Rule - Collision
    By d@niele in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-17-2010, 08:09
  3. jammed guns
    By Willi Von Klugermann in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 4