Ares Games

Thread: Trip to Washington DC

Default Trip to Washington DC

Recently went to Washington DC for a few days to visit the Monuments and Smithsonian Museums. With the cherry blossoms out on a sunny day it couldn't have been better to walk the Mall and Tidal Pool.
    Didn't get into the main Air and Space Museum on the Mall but did visit the A & S Museum out at Dulles. If you visit DC its well worth the trip out to Dulles!

I have created a WWI and WW2 album on my home page containing some of the photos I took there. Here are a few.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1cameld.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	337368

Name:	1halbcl4a.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	337369

Name:	2corsairb.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	337370

Name:	2335b.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	337371

Name:	2he219c.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	337372

For anyone following the offbeat news, here is a photo of 'Stumpy'. Poor Stumpy's days are numbered. A hollowed out stump still flowering, but it is on the removal list. 300 cherry trees are to be replaced and Stumpy is the poster child!

Name:	Stumpy.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	337373
    Last edited by Teaticket; 04-03-2024 at 12:23.

Peter - NPR had a broadcast about Stumpy earlier this week or last. The Park Service is getting several cuttings from Stumpy to grow Stumpy offspring for the future. It will take about 5-7 years before they get big enough to plant around the Tidal Basin but they have been successful doing this with previous trees.

Great news about Stumpy. I hadn't heard that so Stumpy may live again!

Great pics here and in your albums.

Thanks for posting.

Great sets of pics, Peter, thanks for taking the time to share them.
    Good news on the Stumpy front too, they've done the same for the Sycamore Gap tree in the UK that some mindless **** cut down last year, so it will live on.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Super photos, Peter - thanks for posting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Great news about Stumpy. I hadn't heard that so Stumpy may live again!
    So, we are not "Groot"; we're "Stumpy"!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Ah, excellent choice: the Udvar-Hazy is a great place to visit. Thanks for the pics!

D’oh! I never posted my photos here from last year at the museum! Spent five days visiting all (well, a lot) of the Smithsonian museums, and could probably have spent another five. Did get to the main (and smaller) Air and Space museum in DC - you need to arrange a timed pass to get in, and I didn’t have one. While talking to an information attendant, I pointed out the original starship Enterprise behind him and mentioned I was the producer and co-designer of Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, Star Trek: Judgment Rites, and Buzz Aldrin’s Race into Space, and worked at the Jet Propulsion Lab. “I played those games!” He let me in right there and then. Ahhhh, 15 seconds of fame well used!

The Udvar-Hazy Center is simply spectacular, and even had a Shake Shack (very rare here in SoCal) rather than the standard Smithsonian cafe. If any of you ever get half a chance to go, this was a whole lot of fun.

Peter, incredible photos! The photo you took of that German WW1 fighter from above was AMAZING! I really want to go there someday with my family!

Thanks again for posting these! Just lovely! I gotta show my kids. We have to go next.
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

They put the wheels back on the FW-190! It was shoeless when I was there.

Hoping to get to NY Intrepid) and Washington in October

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Similar Missions

1. Washington: New Player From Washington
    By Punkpogoer in forum US Wing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-09-2017, 21:49
  2. Washington Air Museums
    By ptownhiker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 15:16