Ares Games
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Under Construction at the Columbia Aerodrome

Hmmm...I have often wondered, as a purely philosophical excercise...if what I see as red...others may see as blue, but call it red, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Hmmm...I have often wondered, as a purely philosophical excercise...if what I see as red...others may see as blue, but call it red, etc.
    Ah Jim. That way lies madness! Oh no wait a minuite we are already mad. That way lies sanity Jim.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Tripe just about done. I'm fairly certain I'll be putting it up on ebay.

Also, I made a little more progress on the D.VII, and selected a paint scheme. I hope it works.

Man that turned out nice!

Very cool. C wing No1 squadron RNAS. Shouldn't it have a white tail?
    Linz

Another very nice advert for the constructors. I wonder what effect this surge in building your own will have on sales, and the manufacturers' decisions to bring out new models?
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 03-22-2011 at 06:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse47 View Post
    Man that turned out nice!
    Thanks. It was a fun build. Given the choice between the Skytrex Tripe and the Reviresco Tripe, based on the examples I had, I'd say the Skytrex wins out. While I prefer the design of the Reviresco, especially the detail on the engine, the Skytrex went together better. In hindsight, I probably should have emailed John at Reviresco and asked for a replacement fuselage. He gets top scores for customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Very cool. C wing No1 squadron RNAS. Shouldn't it have a white tail?
    Linz
    Thanks Linz, and honestly, I have absolutely no idea. I'm really into Wings of War because a) it's a really fun game and b) I like painting miniatures. For me, the historical aspect comes along sooner or later in my lists of reasons for playing, but I'm not going to let an inaccurate paint-job worry me too much. Truth be told, that's actually one of the primary reasons I left reenacting, I was so interested in the accuracy part that somewhere along the way it stopped being fun. But that's another story, and a long one to boot, so it'll have to wait until the next time we are all at the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Another very nice advert for the constructors. I wonder what effect this surge in building your ownd will have on sales, and the manufacturers' decisions to bring out new models?
    Rob.
    Good question Rob. I sometimes wonder if they look in here now and again to see what's up. All I can say is I hope seeing their kits come to life makes them happy. I know I enjoy building and painting them, and I just wish we had even more to choose from.

I kinda doubt that enough people are building models to put a dent in the overall sales for Nexus if/when they they do their runs. Even the kit builders have been saying that they would buy new planes from Nexus when they came out.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Absolutely - I have a few kits on the go, but given a choice between building the model and paying a few quid extra for a WoW one, I'll happily pony up so I can ditch the files and superglue....

Spot on Zach, the quality and price of the Nexus kit is very competative when compared with building your own. It's only the gaps that pushes me really.

I read Rob's question differently, as in, "do you think this generates interest in Skytrex and Reviresco's kits, possibly increasing their sales, &c?"

I don't know if anyone has bought Skytrex or Reviresco kits because of my thread, but I know I have bought mine because of other people's threads here. So I'd say the answer is yes. As for influencing Reviresco or Skytrex's decisions about future models... well... I suspect as long as there is a market, both will keep churning them out.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

What's interesting there is that Skytrex *haven't* kept churning them out, but in the last few months we've had the Handley Page, the Staaken, and soon the Short Bomber, after many years of no new models from them....

I guess that answers my question then Dom. At least as far as Skytrex are concerned. i am not so conversant with the Reviresco market. How long is it since they released a new model?
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Reviresco have always kept a steady trickle of new releases; never many, but always the odd new release every few months as far as I've noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    What's interesting there is that Skytrex *haven't* kept churning them out, but in the last few months we've had the Handley Page, the Staaken, and soon the Short Bomber, after many years of no new models from them....
    I think Skytrex are pretty good at spotting market potential and concentrating on what sells rather than flogging the proverbial dead horse. Any new WW1 aircraft stopped ages ago and only started again recently with the resurgence of interest in 1/144 scale aircraft. I am led to believe they have been concentrating on their 1/43 scale railway range as it apparently sells like hot cakes, which might explain why their 1/600 coastal warfare range dried up the same way that the WW1 aircraft range did.

Hopefully they will re-master some of the older fighter aircraft if they see renewed potential in the range.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Reviresco have always kept a steady trickle of new releases; never many, but always the odd new release every few months as far as I've noticed.
    that is an interesting piece of information thanks Dom. I have only bought three models from them so had not kept an eye on what they were doing. Just knew that they had a wide variety of aircraft.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I've only got half a dozen of theirs at the moment, but have my eye on a couple of early war types, plus maybe some DH9s as they were Jasta 18's favoured fodder....

I guess I'm lucky, having not gotten in on the ground floor. As a newcomer to this aspect of the gaming hobby, to me it seems like it is very well supported. Now if I could only get my hands on some of the Col's mini bases, I'd be set.

Yay! I am for all intents and purposes done with my writing project! Now I can go back to having fun with minis again!!!

Must... paint... more... planes!

I've been really busy (in fact, I think our group has only played WoW once in the time since I last posted), and the one plane project I was working on went bust due to primer failure. It's sitting in some Simple Green as I type this. Hopefully I'll have her done my Sunday.

(Though it may be a bit longer. I just picked up Osprey's Force on Force, so I may take a detour down the 15mm Ambush Alley.)

I have not had time to even look at my anes since starting the new job.
    Funny this thread just got bounced. Ross just invited me to play at his place Wednesday after work. Might relight my building and painting fire.

Zach

Cool! Go play, and get revved up for another big game in the late spring or early summer!
    I haven't played much of anything lately, or even painted anything, since I was so busy trying to finish up my entry for The History of Cartography, Volume 6. Since then, we've played Wing of War once (two weeks ago), and I've been trying to kick start my GURPS campaign, but camping and scouts has gotten in the way of that. That game two weeks ago was one of the longest 4-on-4 games I ever played. It eventually came down to a 2-on-2, and Paul and I dueled for so long that I suggested we allow Mike and Lisa to respawn so they didn't have to sit there bored.

Think I'm finally gonna take the leap and get a couple from Reviresco.. a Albi DII and a Dr1... see what I can do with these.. lol.. must admit to several threads here being the instigation behind it though.. and the models are inexpensive.. just need to go get some primer though.. lol..
    Last edited by rote Flügel; 04-28-2011 at 17:11. Reason: wrong company.. lol

What can I say, except SUPERB.
    Rob.
    for sure great work Can I take lessions

As anyone who has painted miniatures will tell you: just do it. Every model you paint will get better and better. And every one will looks good (until you go back and look at it a few year later when your skills have mutiplied).

Zach

Yep, Zach is right. And dang... time flies... I have at least two unfinished Wings projects, including two D.VIIs that I was going to paint and put up for sale on ebay. I've made no progress at all on them in months.

Does anyone remember what color I was using for PC10? I know I don't.

Ah-ha! I think I found it. http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ll=1#post34179
    "For a good PC10 mix I use 2 parts Russian Uniform to 1 part Burnt Umber as suggested by Dom."

I was hoping to have this done for tomorrow's game at Savage Mill. Close, but no cigar.

Francis Gillet's Sopwith Dolphin

Nice Dolph.John.
    Rob.

I am really liking that, who is the maker?

Thanks gents.

That's the Reviresco Dolphin. Most of it was fairly crisp. The top wing was pitted and needed some green stuff, but it is a pretty decent kit.

I like these little things so very much I think my New Years Resolution for 2012 is going to be "design a few planes and put them up on Shapeways."

Great idea, Neiuport 28 please!!!!!

Someone makes one. I'd have to try something different.
    http://www.shapeways.com/model/37230...ml?gid=sg85287

I fiddled around with Blender and got to be fairly handy with it.

(My attempts to render a 400 ton Corsair from the scifi rpg Traveller.)

I quit fiddling around with it mostly because it seemed to be purely a mental exercise. If I could make something cool, that might make it a little more worthwhile.

Must get myself one of those little clamps with arms. Are they really handy to use or does the setting up take too long John?
    Rob.

Must get myself one of those little clamps with arms. Are they really handy to use or does the setting up take too long John?
    Rob.
    I'm making them on my own:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01742.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	27071

Name:	DSC01732.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	27072

Name:	DSC01756.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	27073

You can get the metal rod with the clamp-attachment from any hobby store (it's made to hold photos and such, 5 for 2€ here in Belgium).
    I simply bend the end in a triangle, give the rest a swan neck shape and put a big blob of "playdo" or such on the base to have more stability.
    I made 5 and that's more than enough for my needs.
    Cheap as hell and so useful.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01752.jpg  

Rob.
    Rob, at times you have to be a little careful that they aren't too tight because the teeth can gouge soft metal, but once you get used to them, they are a breeze. I borrowed these from my dad 25+ years ago, and I haven't returned them yet.

Among their uses, they are great for painting that one little spot that is impossible to get to. The clamp holds the plane, so I can steady my painting hand with my off hand.

Sounds ideal for what I have in mind. my hands aren't so steady any more either. It is those little hard to get too with the right angle on the brush that I'm thinking about.
    Thanks for the advice chaps.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 11-20-2011 at 08:31.

Sooner or later I may have to buy the magnifying glass attachement. While painting this last plane I had to squint a bit. First time I had to do that.

On other fronts... I'm practicing... with the new version of Blender. No promises, since 2012 is still a month plus away, but...

John,
    I already know at least two guys who'd buy one or two of these!

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Yep, me too!
    Often!
    Same goes for smell and any other sense.

Quote Originally Posted by petitbilbo View Post
    John,
    I already know at least two guys who'd buy one or two of these!

Cool. As you can guess, I'm a Caudron fan too.

It's slowly coming back to me... and I'm remembering how much I enjoyed playing around with Blender!

Last edited by jbmacek; 11-19-2011 at 17:12.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Adrian
    Sorties Flown

That Junkers is really sweet John - well done!

Adrian

You need to start making your planes in series. Why make just one Snipe, when making 10 or 20 would probably only take 4 or 5 times as long? I've done that before with minis, and once you line them up and start repeating the same fitting, the same paint on the same brush, the same decals, etc., you can really crank them out. And make yourself a nice little paycheck for the weekend from ebay as well!

Quote Originally Posted by ara398 View Post
    That Junkers is really sweet John - well done!

Adrian
    Thanks Adrian! I hope to have it 100% complete either today or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    You need to start making your planes in series. Why make just one Snipe, when making 10 or 20 would probably only take 4 or 5 times as long? I've done that before with minis, and once you line them up and start repeating the same fitting, the same paint on the same brush, the same decals, etc., you can really crank them out. And make yourself a nice little paycheck for the weekend from ebay as well!
    Sounds like a good plan, however, I find myself with multiple projects all going on at the same time. I'm the kind of guy who is great at dreaming up and starting projects, both big and small, but over the years I've come to realize that I'm horrible at completing the big projects. Small projects, on the other hand, I can do.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Wooden construction
    By pivole in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 10:13
  2. Want Aerodrome Accessories? Then bid!
    By pflanzer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-12-2010, 22:06
  3. Aerodrome Hangars AAR
    By usmc1855 in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 19:13