Ares Games
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Under Construction at the Columbia Aerodrome

British Roundals & German crosses , both types are. French roundals standard waterslide, not sure about USA roundals

John, do you have a pair of american rondels that I could get from you saturday to slap on the Spad? The only rondels I have on hand are english, and I would happily trade you some brit rondels for some american. Putting brit rondels on Rickenbachers spad would just be wrong....

Zach

Sadly, no, I don't. I have a ton of German, and a handful of British and one set of French, but that's it. I do have some decal paper, so I could potentially run off a few.

if you have the decal paper, what would it take to get me 2 US rondels and 2 hats in the ring?

Zach

John!

Nice builds! have you seen the I-94 line of decals? if not here is a link! They are great!

http://www.i-94enterprises.com/

http://www.i-94enterprises.com/decals_1.htm

rich

Quote Originally Posted by vacca rabite View Post
    if you have the decal paper, what would it take to get me 2 US rondels and 2 hats in the ring?

Zach
    I'll see if I can make them from the images I have on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    John!

Nice builds! have you seen the I-94 line of decals? if not here is a link! They are great!

http://www.i-94enterprises.com/

http://www.i-94enterprises.com/decals_1.htm

rich
    Rich, thanks for the link. I'll have to give them a try!

I've finished the Siemens-Schuckert D.III, and it's definitely my favorite!

Beautiful work Love the paint jobs. Awesome lozenge patten is that hand painted too?

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    Rich, thanks for the link. I'll have to give them a try!
    Looks like a real useful find here Rich. Especially the fact that they do some of the less commonly available decals.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Beautiful work Love the paint jobs. Awesome lozenge patten is that hand painted too?
    Thanks Linz. As far as the lozenge pattern, it's the Reviresco S-S D.III decal. Though the crosses on the wing tips were so out of kilter (hey, it was my first shot at putting on a full wing decal) I had to paint over them with bits of lozenge patterning, then lay new crosses down that weren't crooked. Having painted bits of lozenge camo, I've actually given some thought to trying to do it by hand. But that's fairly far down my to-do list.

Yeah I've tried painting lozange a couple of times and am not overly happy with result. I have just reshaped a paint brush to do roundals and wonder if it would also do lozange.
    Hard to tell what areas you painted fantastic colour match.

Default Under Construction at the Columbia Aerodrome

Rob!

I have used the WW2 decals they make and were quite happy with them! well worth a try!

Lindsay

I will try to attach a shot of the last lozange pattern i painted. It was on 1:300 scale planes a few decades ago! There were no decals for 1:300 back then!

rich

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/alb...achmentid=3986

Thanks Richard.
    On that rec. I will look at any that I can't get from Dom or the Col.
    Rob.

I just finished up the last plane I needed to paint for tomorrow's game - my wife's Fokker Dr.I, in her favorites colors: pink, black and white.

The SS D.III and the pink Dr.I are top notch! You are fast becoming my new WoW paint hero!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Might have to copy that Fokker I like the look of it and it will go well with my Red and Yellow ones

What can I say to that.It is another triumph of the repainters art. What shade of pink is that John, and what does your good lady think to her plane?
    Rob.

Again, I really like this shade of pink.
    Looks to me a bit like 'tentacle pink' from Citadell/Games Workshop.

John!

Does she play DOW also? If so do i have a Spitfire for her!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    The SS D.III and the pink Dr.I are top notch! You are fast becoming my new WoW paint hero!
    Hahaha... thanks... and now I have WoW paint hero, sung to the tune of Juke Box Hero, stuck in my head...

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Might have to copy that Fokker I like the look of it and it will go well with my Red and Yellow ones
    Yellow is high on my to-do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    What can I say to that.It is another triumph of the repainters art. What shade of pink is that John, and what does your good lady think to her plane?
    Rob.
    Thanks! She loved it. It's actually not a re-paint, but a Reviresco. It was one of the first planes I built, and the last to get painted. I was saving it for my wife to paint, but she didn't have time, so I asked her what color she wanted it to be and went from there.

Quote Originally Posted by petitbilbo View Post
    Again, I really like this shade of pink.
    Looks to me a bit like 'tentacle pink' from Citadell/Games Workshop.
    It's a Vallejo color... I think it's called Squid Pink? The kids would remember, they were the ones who spotted it on the shelf in the game store.

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    John!

Does she play DOW also? If so do i have a Spitfire for her!

Rich
    No, sorry, no DOW for us. As much as I loved WWII planes as a kid, that would be opening a can of worms I'd rather not open. But I have to ask, is there a pink Spitfire?
    Last edited by jbmacek; 03-17-2011 at 09:10.

A pink Spit is mentioned here on one of the forums John. It was apparently used for flying at sunset. The DoW experts will be able to tell you all the details.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Spitfire PR Mk.I Type G (photo recce with the full 8x .303 Brownings - unusual as most PR marks had some or all armament stripped out) of 140 squadron RAF, circa 1941.... Man I need to get a life.... That said, the Spitfire pink was almost a light salmon pink, rather than anything brighter.

Nice find Dave.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Good call - I'd forgotten that 16 squadron resurrected the pink scheme in '44, mainly on Spitfire FR.IXs.

Cool. Completely off topic, but weren't the LRDG trucks pink? I was going to re-enact LRDG once upon a time, but the only LRDG guys in the U.S. are on the left coast, and frankly, there's no desert anywhere near me so it seemed kinda pointless.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yeah, LRDG had quite a few schemes (tended to be at the squadron commander's whim) but pink was certainly used, also by the SAS on their land rovers starting in the late '60s. (The infamous "pink panther" land rovers.)

I really like this one, but when it is done I'm going to put it on ebay.

That turned out really sweet.

Very nice. You should not have any problem shifting that on E-Bay.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yeah nice job - simple but effective.

Dom

Thank you gentlemen. I was just going to paint one up in a rather plain Jane canvas style, but I thought I'd practice doing some stripes, and I'm relatively happy with the outcome.

And looking at my stash of decals, I think I'm going to have to order more from you sometime soon, Dom.

I'm scratching my head. What to work on next? Well... I have another Tripe that's nearing completion. A D.VII that's primed and ready for assembly. Another D.VII that needs to have a ton of flash trimmed off of it (this is probably the worst Skytrex plane I've seen in terms of flash), and then a bunch of other stuff, such as a SPAD VII, another Fokker Dr.I, the Dolphin, a mostly painted Nieuport 11, and so on... decisions, decisions... I suppose the Tripe is the best candidate. And I'll say this, the Skytrex Tripe is really nice and clean. Possibly the crispest casting that I've seen from them yet.

Wow. So...jealous...can't...stand...it.

I'd love to see the Dolphin all done up. Do you have finished pictures of the Gotha? Do you take commission work?

I know your problem John I'm running out of projects too
    Linz

You know, I've been painting minis since ~1977, and I have to say these little things are a joy to build and paint. Painting something other than miniature people is a great change of pace after all these years.

My goal is to have a plane for every sets of cards that I have. At the moment, that's an attainable goal, since I only have Famous Aces and a couple booster packs.
    Last edited by jbmacek; 03-18-2011 at 03:51.

Quote Originally Posted by sparty View Post
    Wow. So...jealous...can't...stand...it.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sparty View Post
    I'd love to see the Dolphin all done up. Do you have finished pictures of the Gotha? Do you take commission work?
    The Dolphin is ready to assemble. It's just low on my to-do list since we don't have an official card for it. For that matter, I don't even know if I've seen an unofficial card for it!

As for the Gotha... that's not mine, that belongs to Vacca Rabite aka Zach. You can see it in action here and here.

Commissions? Sure, I'd think about it. I'd probably want you to send me the mini you want built. Send me a pm if you are serious.

You know, I've been painting minis since ~1977, and I have to say these little things are a joy to build and paint. Painting something other than miniature people is a great change of pace after all these years.
    I could not agree more. I started about the same time as you, and since starting WoW builds, my half finished Lancastrian Army has just stood on the shelf. Must get it finished next winter.
    Rob.

Thanks!

The Dolphin is ready to assemble. It's just low on my to-do list since we don't have an official card for it. For that matter, I don't even know if I've seen an unofficial card for it!
    There is a Dolphin in the base cards file John. Are you able to attach it to the base card and edit your own details, or do you want it doing for you?
    Rob.

Rob, thanks for the offer. I'll gladly accept, since I have no clue about how to make homebrew cards.

Rob, thanks for the offer. I'll gladly accept, since I have no clue about how to make homebrew cards.
    Just send me the details of M, F, D, and which Squadron, pilot etc you would like and I'll knock you one out.
    Rob.

Rightio! And thanks!

Ok, here's the next one working its way through the assembly line. Depending on how that Eindecker does, this one may find its way to ebay too, or not, since I do have two decks for triplanes, and only one Tripe.

Looks as though it is coming along well. i look forward to seeing it completed.
    Rob.

Thanks for sharing...even though I'm not too keen on the "pinkies"...just a personal taste...

I rationalize the Dr.I by telling myself it isn't pink, it's rose. The pilot had an ancestor who commanded Prussian Fusilier Regiment 40, which wore blue with rose colored facings. To honor his ancestor, he had his plane painted in the regimental facing color of rose. There, don't you feel better now.

Slapped a few decals on the Tripe.

Well, I'm really colour-blind John - so as far as I am concerned the DR1 is grey

Color vision is a funny thing. I'm partially colorblind, so I have no idea what pink looks like to everyone else. I know there's a color I call pink, and everyone else calls pink, but how the color they see compares to what I see, I often wonder.

Tripe is nearing completion. There's a D.VII right behind it.

[QUOTE=jbmacek;56283]Color vision is a funny thing. I'm partially colorblind, so I have no idea what pink looks like to everyone else. I know there's a color I call pink, and everyone else calls pink, but how the color they see compares to what I see, I often wonder./QUOTE]

Now that is a subject that you could write a thesis on.
    Rob.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Wooden construction
    By pivole in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 10:13
  2. Want Aerodrome Accessories? Then bid!
    By pflanzer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-12-2010, 22:06
  3. Aerodrome Hangars AAR
    By usmc1855 in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 19:13