Ares Games
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Under Construction at the Columbia Aerodrome

Default Under Construction at the Columbia Aerodrome

Some pics of some of the things I'm working on...

The underside of the Bristol Fighter. It's a Skytrex. I decided to drill out the pegs on the bottom of the fuselage and replace them with steel pegs. That was fun. And I still couldn't get the holes to line up, which meant more drilling.

Topside. I shanghaied the original gunner to use for the Caudron. This guy is a Reviresco. He was only temporary.

Out he comes...

And in his place, an A-gun!

... courtesy of Reviresco's Scarff ring mini that comes with the pilots pack. I didn't care for the ring, so I chopped off the gun and glued it in place. I think it works better than if I had kept the ring, which was kinda clunky.

And finally, for now at least, the Nieuport 11.

Oh, I'm generally a build than prime than paint kind of guy. I know some of you are just the opposite, and I know when I build the Siemens-Schukert D.III I'm going to have to reverse the process, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I usually build as much as I can before priming. It is only if I'm applying camo decals that I prime first, or if there is a tricky area to paint detail in before adding the upper wing.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Nice job John!...thanks for sharing...

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I usually build as much as I can before priming. It is only if I'm applying camo decals that I prime first, or if there is a tricky area to paint detail in before adding the upper wing.
    Rob.
    The camo decals for the S-S D.III look forbidding. I'm going to have to seek help from the decal experts here before I try those. Fortunately, I have two sets, so if I screw up I'm not jammed (the first set I got from Reviresco was slightly off-set, and John was kind enough to send a replacement free of charge).

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Nice job John!...thanks for sharing...
    Sure thing!

Very nice but meticulous work that metal stuff.

I use wood; lots of careful carving but it is easy to fill-in if I take-off too much.

Thanks for sharing; I just finished 4 Brisfits too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I use wood; lots of careful carving but it is easy to fill-in if I take-off too much.
    Working with wood... thanks impressive. I'm not much of a wood carver myself, but I've been thinking, if I do attempt a Felixstowe, I may have to carve the hull from wood.

Sweet project so far! Does the little clampy vice gadget tend to mar up the white metal? Been thinking about acquiring one. Oh and I love the little Reviresco pilots strewn about in front of the Bristol... looks almost like it has been on a pre-build strafing run...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

As long as I'm really careful with the clamp it doesn't leave a mark.

Keep going, can't wait for the finish prodct!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Very nice but meticulous work that metal stuff.

Thanks for sharing; I just finished 4 Brisfits too.
    Hey Bruce, I have n't got any nor played against them. Can you bring them on Feb 26th?

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    When reading on this on the new posts forum, it shows the full post, but provides no context and ... well, it made me flinch!
    Last edited by Canuck; 02-16-2011 at 12:34. Reason: opps duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    I have this nice tool. It's plastic and it does not hurt the metal even when painted. I just pin the aircraft between 2 clip and it holds well.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9296

Quote Originally Posted by Aero825 View Post
    Keep going, can't wait for the finish prodct!
    The Brisfit is in need of a gunner, then she'll be ready for primer. The Nieuport 17 needs the landing gear and prop. She'll get a coat of primer... hopefully at the same time as the Brisfit, and the G.4!

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    When reading on this on the new posts forum, it shows the full post, but provides no context and ... well, it made me flinch!
    You should see my new set of tweezers!

Quote Originally Posted by Nilliom View Post
    I have this nice tool. It's plastic and it does not hurt the metal even when painted. I just pin the aircraft between 2 clip and it holds well.
    That, sir, totally rocks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nilliom View Post
    I've added one of those to my birthday list. Thanks for the info Stephane.
    Rob.

It's nice to have the right tools..makes everything so much easyer

It's nice to have the right tools..makes everything so much easier

Indeed, it does.

My list for today...

Reviresco D.VII

Reviresco Dr.I

Reviresco Tripe

Waiting final assembly and/or paint.

D.VII fuselage looks ok.

As does the Dr.I engine.

Three fuselages waiting for more wings. The Tripe's fuselage is a mess, with many casting flaws. If I hadn't bought it used from ebay, I would have asked Reviresco for a replacement.

Looking really good, I have a Dr 1 coming and am looking forward to following your build as well.

The Dr.I was a fun build, even though the landing gear were kinda finicky.

What can I say, except SUPERB.
    Rob.

Thank you! Thank you very much.
    I'm looking forward to painting them, but I might put together a couple more. I have the Dolphin that I'd like to build, but my wife's other Valentine's Day gifts (the Tripe and Halberstadt D.II) should take precedence.

Thumbs up

What can I say, except SUPERB.
    Rob.
    Yeah that!
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Awesome, now I appreciate the size of the Caudron

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkahn View Post
    Awesome, now I appreciate the size of the Caudron
    Now that is what the French would call a Caudron sacre bleu.
    Rob.

Superb job! I am especially impressed how nice the Reviresco kits look.

Me too. From the general chatter, I was assuming the Reviresco were going to be lower quality. Obviously, this is not the case. It may be that some of the Reviresco kits are not up to snuff, but the two I have built so far are nice. If I have noticed any major difference between the two, it is that the Reviresco kits, by nature of their design, do take a little more work than the Skytrex.

Some pics of the Reviresco D.VII being built. I may have put the wings on upside down, but I like them this way. I didn't follow the sparse instructions to the letter. I'm waiting to glue the struts to the fuselage last. The most difficult part of this build was attaching the landing gear struts to the fuselage. I was using two-part expoy, and one of them managed to get knocked off during handling. I soon realized the best course of action would be to anchor it under the wing with super glue, then once that was dry anchor the front strut to the fuselage with a good gob of two-part. It seems pretty strong now. Also, I used steel wire for the struts that come down off the upper wing and attach to the fuselage. I wanted some extra strength since this model has fairly thin wings.

Last edited by jbmacek; 02-20-2011 at 04:42.

Looks P.D.G. to me. I like both the wings and the subtle tincture of bronze in the pictures. Is it due to an over heated casting or your lighting at home?
    Rob.

Time for a final inspection, then a coat of primer!

I have to admit I didn't care for the D.VII, but having spent the time putting this one together, I've found a new appreciation for her lines.

Looks P.D.G. to me. I like both the wings and the subtle tincture of bronze in the pictures. Is it due to an over heated casting or your lighting at home?
    Rob.
    Thanks. As for the bronze tinge to the photos, I think it's the lampshades in the room. I snapped two pics of the next plane on the chopping block, one with just the flash, the other with the lamps on and with the flash. You can see the flash only photo doesn't have that tint to it.

Oh, this is the Reviresco Halberstadt D.II.

ye gads man, that lower wing doesn't look much beyond a lump of metal!

Are all the Reviresco kits like that?

No, not at all. This is, by far, the flashiest of the lot. It is in direct contrast to the Sopwith Dolphin, which is really very neat and clean. Not only is there an excessive amount of flash, but the casting of both wings was less than what I would expect from a model maker. I should probably have sent it back, but instead I told my wife she would have to paint this one up as battle damaged, which she agreed to.

The other tricky thing about the Halberstadt D.II kit is that the lower wing peg is in the wrong position. If you put it on as instructed I believe, after careful consideration and study of original photos and models, the lower wing will be on backwards. This is a tough kit, not for a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkahn View Post
    ye gads man, that lower wing doesn't look much beyond a lump of metal!

Are all the Reviresco kits like that?
    I was tempted to say "No, sometimes the wing is missing completely" but refrained

It's suffering the condition known scientifically as mouldus knackerdus. It's one of the earlier kits in the range so the mould has had a bit of a hammering.

The upside is you usually get sufficient flash on these kits for an additional aircraft.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/content.ph...-Build-Project
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

In spite of the problems, it has come together well enough, even though there were more problems.

The wings, once I turned them around the right way, no longer lined up with the pin. In fact, they were a little too far to one side to begin with, so now I had to do some drilling.

Not only drilling, but filing too. Eventually I was able to get a nice fit.

The next problem was the cabane struts. They glued down nice enough, but the lead kept bending as I was trying to get the wings aligned. I eventually gave up on them and drilled two holes in the top wing, with the notion of replacing them with wire.

Holding the whole shebang down with some blu-tac.

Wing struts were in, but the cabane struts were giving me a helluva time. So I stuck blu-tac on top of the wings, enough so there was a tiny bit showing on the underside of the hole, and then used that to hold the struts in place.

The struts are in place, as is the "smoke stack."

Landing gear went together well enough. The wheels actually spin! Also, I glued a small piece of wire under the tail; sooner or later those horizontal stabilizers would have broken off.

Hey... what about those wing jigs????!!!! Fortunately they'll be easy to snip through since they are lead.

At this point, I just need to glue on the prop and put the pilot in. Hopefully I'll get a chance to prime her and the D.VII in a little while.

I'm impressed!

I just hope my three Fokker E.III and the Halberstadt D.II will be as 'easy" to build...
    Anxiously waiting for their arrival.

petitbilbo

Thank you, and hopefully my construction pics will help you on your way to building your D.II!

Halberstadt D.II has been primed!

And the D.VII too!

That means all I have to do now is finish the Sopwith Tripe, and then I can go back to building planes for myself instead of my wife.

As grim as the Tripe was looking, the fates are smiling on me.

Ooh, the Tripe is looking nice.

Got the Tripe and Biff already, but that Halberstadt has gone on my ever lengthening list of things to do.
    Rob.

The D.II was a tricky build, but I had fun doing it. I wish the Tripe had come out better, but when you consider I was just going to give up on it completely, I'm happy with it. It's a shame the fuselage was rubbish, otherwise it would have been a fun and quick build.

Considering who a mess this one was at the start, it doesn't look half bad.

Looks good to me. Who are you going to fly it as?
    Rob.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Wooden construction
    By pivole in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 10:13
  2. Want Aerodrome Accessories? Then bid!
    By pflanzer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-12-2010, 22:06
  3. Aerodrome Hangars AAR
    By usmc1855 in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 19:13