Ares Games

Thread: Differences between Dawn of War and The Dawn of World War II

Default Differences between Dawn of War and The Dawn of World War II

Hello.
    Apart for the name, that the lawyers of Games Workshop did not like, does anybody remembers the differences between the two versions? The very first Dawn of War box and the Cawn of World War II corrected boxes?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic230872.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	336418

Name:	pic269322.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	336419

I think that Wildcats were revised

Name:	pic269321.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	336414

and Reggiane too

Name:	pic269372.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	336415

bou does anybody remeber anything else?

Then Russians made their own edition where they wanted a cover where Russian aces were winning over Germans

Name:	pic338783.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	336417

and a couple more of Russian planes...

Name:	pic338784.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	336416

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post

I think that Wildcats were revised

Name:	pic269321.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	336414

I should hope so!
    If short range on the F4F-3 is BB, then long range should be B, not A

Then Russians made their own edition where they wanted a cover where Russian aces were winning over Germans

Name:	pic338783.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	336417
    Nice Artwork!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

OK, how did GW get involved?
    And yes, the Russian box set cover is very nice.

Karl
    Last edited by Jager; 03-07-2024 at 11:21. Reason: bad typing
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    OK, how did GW get involved?
    And yes, the Russian box set cover is very nice.

Karl
    Because they trademarked the phrase "Dawn of War" in a game context and are trying to use litigation recoveries as a second revenue stream. I'm surprised they haven't tried to call the existence of ANY other miniatures game "trademark infringement"...

As a side note, since leaving Nexus Vincenzo Auletta has been doing some gorgeous aviation art on his own portfolio.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Thanks to Wings of War/Glory, Auletta found new jobs like doing covers for Italeri model kits. But he did not leave our team. He is still doing color schemes for miniatures and images for cards...

The correct spelling of GRUMMAN has not been updated between the 2 Dawn of War versions (“Grummann”).
    Grumman aircraft cards are corrected to the correct spelling in the miniature version.

Name:	IMG_8870.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	336440

Hmmm... cover art where Russians are winning over Germans in a Lend-Lease British plane? Who slipped that past them?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Thanks to Wings of War/Glory, Auletta found new jobs like doing covers for Italeri model kits. But he did not leave our team. He is still doing color schemes for miniatures and images for cards...
    Ironically, Vincenzo's art is frequently higher grade than the finished kit. We modelers have a joke about how "the Italeri A-10 is something you build when you DON'T want to build an A-10..." and my experience with it was I'd rather try to power through a complete Numbered Air Force worth of Atlantis B-36's with all their "ancient tooling" issues than have a rematch trying to make that Hog look good.

Which reminds me, I need to get a hold of my old prof and a few other folks to see how many I have on the order books for reopening the Convair-Fort Worth assembly line in miniature...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Falling down a rabbit hole, chasing Russian Hurricanes. It appears some Hurricanes were found in Ukraine recently, buried by the Soviets at the end of WWII. They were armed with 2 20mm cannons and 2 12.7mm MGs. This was one of the mods done after 1942? And it appears they flew til the end of the war.
    Any stats on these planes? Any cards?

PS: So, would armament be:
    Short Range: CCB
    Long Range: CA
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-08-2024 at 17:14.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Osprey Aircraft Aces n°74 Soviet Lend-Lease:

Name:	Hurricane russ canons.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	336479

views 3 images

In the absence of statistics and deck cards ... and CCB/CA seems fair to me

Last edited by chee911sc; 03-09-2024 at 02:20.

The Soviets were less than impressed with the armament on the Hurri's, so fitted them with what they thought more appropriate weaponry - Heavy MG's & 20mm Cannon !
    https://vvsairwar.com/2018/06/20/the...er-hurricanes/
    https://www.memorialflightclub.com/b...ation-benedict

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Falling down a rabbit hole, chasing Russian Hurricanes. It appears some Hurricanes were found in Ukraine recently, buried by the Soviets at the end of WWII. They were armed with 2 20mm cannons and 2 12.7mm MGs. This was one of the mods done after 1942? And it appears they flew til the end of the war.

PS: So, would armament be:
    Short Range: CCB
    Long Range: CA
    The rating for the guns would be right. Not sure if their performance would change, though.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

The Hurricane IIC was the 2 20mm cannons in each wing, with C maneuver deck and 18 damage.

The Russian armament of one 20mm cannon and one 12.7mm MG per wing shouldn't be any different? There were other configurations where one or two .303 MGs were retained in the outer wing. I could see this affecting roll rate, but if there were 6 MGs per wing normally in the IIB, perhaps not.
    Mike

The Hurricane IIC was the 2 20mm cannons in each wing, with C maneuver deck and 18 damage.

The Russian armament of one 20mm cannon and one 12.7mm MG per wing shouldn't be any different? There were other configurations where one or two .303 MGs were retained in the outer wing. I could see this affecting roll rate, but if there were 6 MGs per wing normally in the IIB, perhaps not.
    I would say then that the stats are all the same, save guns.
    Adding to the in progress V2.0 spreadsheet.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    The correct spelling of GRUMMAN has not been updated between the 2 Dawn of War versions (“Grummann”).
    Grumman aircraft cards are corrected to the correct spelling in the miniature version.

Name:	IMG_8870.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	336440
    Interesting... I don't think my WWII Deluxe Set Wildcat had the ASW scheme.

Similar Missions

1. Wings of Glory at the World War I Dawn Patrol Rendezvous?
    By von Fustercluck in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-03-2016, 12:37
  2. National: World War I Dawn Patrol Rendezvous
    By rhodie80 in forum US Wing
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-16-2014, 14:18
  3. World War I Dawn Patrol Rendezvous 2014
    By CappyTom in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-11-2014, 06:04
  4. Description of Fire from the Sky and Dawn of World War II