Ares Games

Thread: OTT FYM Mission 2 - Close Air Support, 12th April 1917 by ShadowDragon

Default OTT FYM Mission 2 - Close Air Support, 12th April 1917 by ShadowDragon

OTT-FYM Mission 2 – Close Air Support – April 12th 1917 by ShadowDragon

The Mission:

The Battle of Arras has begun. After an intense bombardment, British and Canadian infantry started their assault on the 9th of April. Gains were impressive by Western Front standards, but now there is a lull while positions are consolidated. The Royal Flying Corps has contributed with close air support, reconnaissance, and strategic bombing. However, the offensive use of airpower with combat operations over German held territory would result high British aircrew losses.

The mission is to bomb a key tactical command and logistic point just behind German held positions. By destroying this position, the RFC can hinder German efforts to stabilize their defence and organize counterattacks. The challenge is that this position is located amongst vulnerable French civilian structures; so, it must be bombed at a low altitude. In addition, the target is protected by German anti-aircraft artillery, patrolling aircraft, and a balloon barrage.

This mission is a modification of one of the scenarios in the WoW Burning Drachens booklet, “A Hard Task”. The choice was because it met my two objectives – (1) the mission has balloons, and (2) it reflected the RFC’s emphasis on offensive operations in support of the ground battle. The mission is best using altitude, but instructions are provided below if you are not using altitude – that’s part of the modification of the original scenario.

Note: This mission isn’t meant to be balanced but to reflect “Bloody April”. Good luck!

Mat Set-Up: A trench mat with any other non-trench mat joined on their long sides. The non-trench mat is German held territory.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FYM Scenario 2 Map.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	336329

British Forces: 3 or 4 aircraft (Player’s choice to use 3 or 4 aircraft)
    • Two (2) scout aircraft (initial aircraft) – one armed with incendiary ammunition and the other will be armed with le Prieur rockets. If you do not have an aircraft with rockets depicted, then both are armed with incendiary ammo. Note: if the aircraft has a Lewis machinegun it can switch to regular ammo by swapping drums which takes three phases; otherwise, it cannot fire at enemy aircraft. These are initially on the mat. These aircraft are at altitude 4.
    • One (1) 1 tandem equipped with 2 bomb loads, which can be dropped at the same time or at different times. This aircraft arrives on turn 3. This aircraft is at altitude 3.
    • Optional 4th aircraft: the British player’s choice of another tandem with bombs, a scout armed with rockets or incendiary ammo or a regularly armed scout. If you are the German player, roll a 6-sided dice: 1-2 = tandem bomber, 3 = rocket-armed scout (or regular scout if you don’t have a model with rockets), 4-6 regular armed scout. This aircraft will arrive on turn 3. This aircraft is at altitude 3 if the tandem and altitude 4 if a scout.
    • Position or arrival specifics:
    • The first two listed scouts will be on the mat at the start and positioned to attack one of balloon. They will be one ruler West of the mat join and centred on the balloon with a half-ruler separation between them. The British player has the choice which balloon is attacked. The German player determines which one at random as well as which aircraft is with rockets or incendiary ammo.
    • The required tandem bomber and the optional 4th aircraft arrive on turn 3 at the Western edge within a half ruler of position 6 (the mat centre).

Altitude: Summary for British planes - all scouts are initially at altitude 4, the tandem(s) are at altltidue 3. If you are not using altitude, then all aircraft are notionally at altitude 4. Therefore, the tandem will be bombing from a higher level than for players using altitude (see “bombing” below); for players using altitude rules the tandem(s) must dive to altitude 2 before bombing.

German forces: 1 target, 2 AA Guns, 2 barrage balloons and 3 or 4 aircraft (i.e., the same number as chosen for the British).
    • The target is located one ruler from the German (East) edge of the mat about mid-way along that mat’s edge. (as shown in the illustration).
    • Two AA Guns: One is located one ruler from the German edge and one ruler from the bottom (South) edge). The other AA Gun is located one ruler from the German edge and one ruler from the top (North) edge. See the illustration.
    • The two barrage balloons are located one-half ruler East of the mat join and are spaced equidistant across the front (i.e., along the long side of the mat). There will be roughly one ruler spacing from the mat edges and between the balloons. It is assumed that there are barrage balloons to the north and south so that the barrage barrier is along the whole length of the mat as shown. The balloons are at altitude 4.
    • One initial scout positioned at the centre of the German mat, facing West and at altitude 4. The choice of scout is up to the player.
    • Two additional scouts of your choice will appear on turn 2 at a random location (positions 1 to 5 marked on the illustration). These aircraft will be at altitude 4.
    • The optional 4th scout will appear at a random location (positions 1 to 5) and will be at altitude 4.

Altitude: All German aircraft and balloons are at altitude 4. Note that the balloons will remain at altitude 4 until destroyed. There’s no change required if you’re not playing with altitude.

Scenario Rules and Rule Reminders:

Balloon Barrage Effect: Any aircraft which enters the barrage zone at the altitude of the barrage balloons or lower will be destroyed. If a barrage balloon is destroyed, then the barrage zone on either side of it will collapse – leaving only the other balloon and a barrage zone between that balloon and the nearest mat edge. Of course, if both balloons are destroyed then so is the barrage zone.

Collisions: As stated in the rules, airplanes colliding with the barrage are destroyed. If the collision with an actual balloon, the balloon with take a C damage card. Resolve air to air collisions as you would normally. Also, note that an aircraft at altitude 4 with a climb counter will not collide with the barrage; it can fly over it as the balloons are at altitude 4 without a climb counter. If you’re playing without altitude, then, sorry, there is no way over the balloons. You will need to shoot your way through. That was one of the challenges with accommodating playing without altitude.

Bombing: See the OTT rules for instructions on bombing. If using altitude, then the bomber(s) MUST be at altitude 2. In that case bombs hit immediately – as per the rules. If you’re not using altitude, then it will be “high level” bombing and there will be an additional phase in which the bomb is moved forward before it hits. See “How to Bomb” in the OTT FYM Campaign Rules – steps 4 and 5 are repeated for the “high level”

The target has four (4) points. Each partial hit by a bomb destroys one (1) point and each direct hit destroys two (2) points. Therefore, two bombs must directly hit the target for it to be completely destroyed.

AA Guns: Use the "SOLITAIRE SCENARIOS AND ANTI-AIRCRAFT GUNS" rule from the OTT FYM Rules. Accordingly, it takes 3 phases to reload AA Guns which can then fire on the 4th phase. To see if the AA Gun hits, draw an A damage card. If it has any 'special damage', the AA gun hits. If it hits, draw a C card for damage inflicted. With respect to range varying with altitude, the WoG rules gives the AA Gun range as 2 rulers for targets up to altitude 2, 1-1/2 ruler at altitude 3, 1 ruler at altitude 4, etc. It is recommended to use 2 rulers for all altitudes in this scenario for consistency between players using and not using altitude.

Forced to Return to Base when on the wrong side of the barrage! If an aircraft on the enemy side of the barrage zone is at the barrage balloon altitude or lower (i.e., altitude 4 or lower) and is forced to return to base then it will instead head for the nearest north or south mat edge (i.e., to find a way around the barrage). Roll a 6-sided dice: 1-3 = the aircraft doesn’t make and is downed. This will count as a kill for the other side with all the implications of being shot down (i.e., it will be in enemy territory if a British aircraft and No Man’s Land if German). Resolve any remaining fire tokens before determining if the aircraft finds a way around the barrage.

British:
    5 points per target point destroyed
    -5 points for each bomb that completely misses the target (i.e., hits civilians)
    5 points per barrage balloon destroyed
    5 points per AA Gun destroyed
    5 points per enemy aircraft forced to return to base (FRTB) that also makes it home (even if it crashes on landing)
    10 points per enemy aircraft lost (including those that fail to find a way around the barrage)
    5 points per ace lost (shot down or fails to find a way around the barrage)

German:
    5 points per target point still intact
    5 points per enemy aircraft forced to return to base (FRTB) and makes it home (even if it crashes on landing)
    10 points per enemy aircraft lost (including those that fail to find a way around the barrage)
    5 points per ace lost (shot down or fails to find a way around the barrage)
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 03-20-2024 at 12:47.

Paul.

Wow that is certainly a mission and a half. I will have to re-read this as there are lots of moving parts. Just a note that you have two points numbered 6. I assume the bottom center is actually number 4 and that the one numbered 6 on the British side is where the additional aircraft enters?

Also I need to acquire another balloon - Funnily enough I was thinking of adding to my collection after a successful bout of selling stuff at my local bring and buy at the weekend.

Thanks, Paul, looks to be a bit of a plate spinning exercise but it'll be one heck of a game. Think FOK did something very similar for us back in the day.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Hu Rhu View Post
    Paul.

Wow that is certainly a mission and a half. I will have to re-read this as there are lots of moving parts. Just a note that you have two points numbered 6. I assume the bottom center is actually number 4 and that the one numbered 6 on the British side is where the additional aircraft enters?

Also I need to acquire another balloon - Funnily enough I was thinking of adding to my collection after a successful bout of selling stuff at my local bring and buy at the weekend.
    Yes, the bottom '6' is supposed to be a '4'. The illustration has been corrected and replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Thanks, Paul, looks to be a bit of a plate spinning exercise but it'll be one heck of a game. Think FOK did something very similar for us back in the day.
    Yes, it was mission 5 for "The Final Months" campaign. Now I have to decide if my Seadogs will use a Sopwith Tripe with incendiary bullets or borrow a Nieuport 17 from the RFC.

Choices..choices...choices for the Brits. I'm thinking of going with 4 planes - 1 F2A bomber, 1 N16 (rockets), 1 N17 with incendiary bullets but with the option to swap out the ammo pan...and for the 4th either another F2A with bombs or a really good scout (Tripe or SPAD VII). The Huns will be all Albatros DIII.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 02-29-2024 at 06:58.

Sacre Bleu, or if you get it wrong, Cordon Bleu. A mighty task but one that will be an achievement if sucessful.
    Willl start setting up tomorrow.
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 02-29-2024 at 08:20.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Sacre Bleu, or if you get it wrong, Cordon Bleu. A mighty task but one that will be an achievement if sucessful.
    Wioll start setting up tomorrow.
    Bonne chance, mon ami.

I have updated the mat pic on the saved copy

Now that is a mission and a half. Need to get warmed up a bit before I try, but it will be played (outside of the Campaign)

Note from Uncle: We should be using the following for AA in OTT:

SOLITAIRE SCENARIOS AND ANTI-AIRCRAFT GUNS:

When playing a solitaire scenario, use the following rules for enemy anti-aircraft guns:

Don’t place the 'shell' counter as per the multi-player rules but shoot as soon as any part of an enemy aircraft's base is within range of the gun (two rulers of distance).
    Draw an A damage card to see if the aim of the AA battery is correct.
    If there's no special damage on the card, the aim is wrong and the shot misses.
    If there's any type of special damage (including jammed guns) then a hit has been scored, ignore the result on the A card and draw a C damage card as the damage caused to the aircraft.
    Do not fire the gun as soon as it is reloaded, as per the multi-player rules. Instead, wait one phase, then shoot at any targets in range.
    (To clarify - a gun takes 3 phases to reload, it can then fire on the next ie the 4th phase)
    Don’t fire at a target if any point of the targets base is within a half-ruler of distance from a friendly balloon or aircraft base.
    If more than one target could be shot at by the AA gun, choose one randomly to be shot at, unless the scenario you are playing provides a specific rule stating which aircraft are more important. (For example, two-seaters may be seen as more important for artillery to shoot at than fighters.)

If you want to adjust range for altitude that's the players prerogative

I have updated the mat pic on the saved copy
    Thanks, Dave.

I've updated the paragraph on "Collisions" to clarify what I thought was an ambiguity with "In that case..."

I've changed the AA Gun section to summarize the OTT FYM rule, but I've also recommended the use of a 2 ruler range for all altitudes for consistency between play with and without altitude.

Writing this up to allow for play without altitude has been somewhat of a *bleep*. It made for a few things from what I had initially planned. Some hammering down of bits of logic sticking out was required. There may still be a few odds and ends that might snag a sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Bonne chance, mon ami.

Note from Uncle: We should be using the following for AA in OTT:

SOLITAIRE SCENARIOS AND ANTI-AIRCRAFT GUNS:

When playing a solitaire scenario, use the following rules for enemy anti-aircraft guns:

Don’t place the 'shell' counter as per the multi-player rules but shoot as soon as any part of an enemy aircraft's base is within range of the gun (two rulers of distance).
    Draw an A damage card to see if the aim of the AA battery is correct.
    If there's no special damage on the card, the aim is wrong and the shot misses.
    If there's any type of special damage (including jammed guns) then a hit has been scored, ignore the result on the A card and draw a C damage card as the damage caused to the aircraft.
    Do not fire the gun as soon as it is reloaded, as per the multi-player rules. Instead, wait one phase, then shoot at any targets in range.
    (To clarify - a gun takes 3 phases to reload, it can then fire on the next ie the 4th phase)
    Don’t fire at a target if any point of the targets base is within a half-ruler of distance from a friendly balloon or aircraft base.
    If more than one target could be shot at by the AA gun, choose one randomly to be shot at, unless the scenario you are playing provides a specific rule stating which aircraft are more important. (For example, two-seaters may be seen as more important for artillery to shoot at than fighters.)

If you want to adjust range for altitude that's the players prerogative

May be a bit late with this one as will have to wait until after the move and have unboxed everything again.

Still trying to find the 'get up and go' to set this up, the prelims are done though so maybe in the next couple of days. Op hangover & grandson arrival still slowing me up !

Still trying to find the 'get up and go' to set this up, the prelims are done though so maybe in the next couple of days. Op hangover & grandson arrival still slowing me up !
    One good and one bad reason for your inaction. Hope you feel up to it soon.

I was going to say much the same, Gary. One good reason and one bad, self-inflicted injury reason.

Trying to get this mission going too. Maybe tomorrow or Friday.

Didn't quite appreciate how much general anaesthetic can kick your ar$e ! Walked to town this morning, took the rest of the day off !

Your system will also be drawing on your energy to repair the disturbed muscles etc. I bet Tim can give you the whole story.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Its on the table , but off to Spain and Gib on Sunday to see the grandkids and soak up some rays for 3 weeks.
    At least they have a games shop in La Linea , E -minis , with some Wings stock as well.
    Might slip in some beers, tapas and BBQs as well.

Have a good one Paul.
    Rob.

Its on the table , but off to Spain and Gib on Sunday to see the grandkids and soak up some rays for 3 weeks.
    At least they have a games shop in La Linea , E -minis , with some Wings stock as well.
    Might slip in some beers, tapas and BBQs as well.
    Enjoy your time in Spain/Gibraltar!

... Might slip in some beers, tapas and BBQs as well.
    Untidy sods, you watch where you're going, Paul, none of us are getting any younger !

Very true Dave , but Carpe Diem

Hi Paul. All set up but have to ask - Initial set up for RFC scouts: Diagram shows 1 ruler west of mid line, but text states they should be a half ruler west of the line. I have opted for 1/2 ruler avoiding collision with the barrage via a climb counter as per optional OTT altitude rules Hope this is ok.

Nice mission, by the way - bit of a challenge for me as I'm really rather bad at flying with the altitude rules. But hey ho, here we go!
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 03-20-2024 at 09:29.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Hi Paul. All set up but have to ask - Initial set up for RFC scouts: Diagram shows 1 ruler west of mid line, but text states they should be a half ruler west of the line. I have opted for 1/2 ruler avoiding collision with the barrage via a climb counter as per optional OTT altitude rules Hope this is ok.

Nice mission, by the way - bit of a challenge for me as I'm really rather bad at flying with the altitude rules. But hey ho, here we go!
    One ruler was intended as per the diagram, but your interpretation is perfectly fine. It really doesn't make much difference due to the barrage splitting the area. Good luck with the altitude. For what it's worth, I'm terrible with the altitude rules - i.e., forgetting climb markers or remembering aircraft climb rates.

Aah ok. Thanks for the feedback. I have already completed two turns and I'm thinking that starting closer has worked to the advantage of the Bulldogs in that the DIIIs arrive just a fraction late to the show to make their presence felt during this early phase. Also I was able to give all aircraft a climb counter, one way or another, within the opening phase and I can see the rest of the mission settling into an altitude of 4.1 until and if the barrage net goes down and allows the tandem through. I just hope I'm correct in thinking the balloons, at altitude 4 can still be shot at whilst everyone skims over the barrage net. Well its too late now, that's the way I have started and I don't think I'll go back and start again.

I must say I'm enjoying it but am having to be really careful when moving models through the net

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240319_134859.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	336872

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Aah ok. Thanks for the feedback. I have already completed two turns and I'm thinking that starting closer has worked to the advantage of the Bulldogs in that the DIIIs arrive just a fraction late to the show to make their presence felt during this early phase. Also I was able to give all aircraft a climb counter, one way or another, within the opening phase and I can see the rest of the mission settling into an altitude of 4.1 until and if the barrage net goes down and allows the tandem through. I just hope I'm correct in thinking the balloons, at altitude 4 can still be shot at whilst everyone skims over the barrage net. Well its too late now, that's the way I have started and I don't think I'll go back and start again.

I must say I'm enjoying it but am having to be really careful when moving models through the net
    You have it exactly right...at 4.1 you can shoot at the balloons at the same level, but you do not collide (i.e., balloons have no climb counter, but the plane at 4.1 does).

Love the net.

Your net looks great, Mike.

Afraid mine will be "imaginary".

The nets are very easy to make Pete. I did one for a game on here some years ago with a barrage of three balloons.
    Rob.

I considered it for a few seconds until I saw this image and realised it should be well below the balloon.

Nice shot Dave, and very useful for my Taranto game.
    Thanks.

Rob.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-FYM Mission 1 – First Outing – April 5th 1917 by ShadowDragon
    By ShadowDragon in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-14-2024, 10:56
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-18-2024, 18:19
  3. AAR OTT-EYM Mission 4: Bombs and Blondes - 4 Feb 1917, by ShadowDragon
    By ShadowDragon in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-10-2023, 06:04
  4. Replies: 20