Lt Paul Rhodes (P)

Harry Jones (O) Strutter 8

2ndLt John Smith (P). Flight Leader
    Gordon Houseman (O) French Strutter

Central Powers

Obt Lt H Barnekow Alb II Red .Flight Leader

Lt Werner Thomas Alb III Green

Lt Ludwig Klein Alb III Blue

It was the first time Smith could remember taking 3 tandems up at once without scout cover. But GHQ had this theory that if they flew in a set formation the arc of the guns would give the Hun a frightfull bashing if they attacked .
    Today was the day to test the theory out.

Alb III lurked menecingly over the German lines. As the RFC planes approached they turned towards them . A faint crackcle of gunfire could be heard as they tested their guns.

Klein was the closest to the Strutter formation

Drawing a bead on the RFC roundel of Wagner's plane he peppered the left wing with gusto, and a bit of lead. (4)

Smith kept the flight in formation .

Raising his right hand he signalled the next set of manoeuvres a slight left slip allowing at least 2 of the rear gunners to target an oncoming Hun.

Houseman's gun jammed on the first round. (0+GJ). Cannon was more productive clipping Klein in the arm and tearing into the fuselage. (1+pilot, 3)

Despite his wound Klein pounded Wagner's plane a second time (4)

Jones in the far right of the formation caught the flight leader Barnekow with a few well aimed rounds (2).

Time to draw the Hun over the lines to NML.

Smith turned his flight into the attacking planes of Barnekow and Thomas .

If HQ had planned and studied the close formation tactic this was the perfect move.

Klein appeared to be circling in a non aggressive way and the 2 other Albs were trying to get behind the flight. It had to work !!!!!

Toby kept up the rounds on Klein's plane, cutting an oil pipe (0 ,2+smoke) to add to his misery.

Thomas had a perfect shot , but for a gun jam, (0+GJ)

Jones got a short burst (0,1) as a warning of things to come.

It was hard to to keep the designated formation, even for experienced pilots of the 57th.

Planes were getting perilously close and the line of sight from each plane was compromised.
    ."Firing could bring down one of your own flight" mused Smith.

Cannon fired but without a viable result at Thomas (0.0)

Barnekow was luckier , hitting both Cannon and his plane (3+pilot)

Now it looked like GHQ had got the tactics right. The target was Thomas !!

But fate took over. Houseman jammed his guns (0.0+GJ), Jones in contrast ripped into the Albs rudder (1+LRJ.2)

Barnekow turned carefully behind Smiths Strutter trying to keep in the rear gunners blind spot.

Timing his shot the lead shattered the fuselage , and a red mist burst from Houseman's tunic (5+ Pilot) as the observer tried to unjam his gun

. Cannon and Jones were at maximum range and did little to impede the red Albatross and its pursuit of the flight leaders plane. (0.1)

Klein regained his senses and found himself to the starboard and slightly ahead of the RFC planes .

As he turned into them he exchange shots with Wagner, neither were on target (0) (0)

Barnekow continued to target Smiths plane and its hapless observer , clipping the rudder this time.
    (2+RRD)

Jones tried to draw the Germans attention away from his flight leader , but his gun immediately jammed (0+GJ)

With 2 tail guns out of action the defensive formation was beginning to break down.

Barnekow dropped off his primary target and took the opportunity to inflict first damage on Rhodes tandem (4)

Narrowly avoiding a mid air collision with Wagner's kite Klein now found himself head to head with 2 Stutters 50yds away

In the maelstrom that followed Rhodes and Jones went down fighting (1+GJ) (2+Fire).

But A critical hit in the fuel tank saw the Strutter fall from the sky in NML. (XP) kill Klein.

But not before the Albatross began to burn from the rounds of Smith's gun (0) (3)

The formation broken each individual Strutter chose its target.

Guns free but wounded Houseman tracked the sky around him.

Smith could see that Wagner's plane was pretty well shot up, and he to had a wounded crewman on board.
    Today was not the day to be heroes. He signalled a return to base .

Klein turned right in an effort to stop the flames reaching the cockpit. This eventually took him into the LOS of Houseman who at close range emptied his drum into the Hun (3+Pilot,0).

The Albatross spiralled down into NML Kill Houseman

The remaining Hun circled and headed back to their lines not wishing to follow the fate of their comrade. There was always a next time.

Butcher's Taly:

RFC

2Lt Charles Wagner: (P2) Strutter 7: RTB / 0 kills

AM2 Toby Cannon: ( O) Strutter 7: RTB / WIA / Skip 2 scenarios

Lt Paul Rhodes: (P2) Strutter 8: SD-EXP-NML / 0 kills
    (didnt even see me /Inj Skip 3 Scenarios)

Harry Jones:(O) Strutter 8: SD-EXP-NML / 0 kills
    Didnt even see me

2ndLt John Smith: (P2) French Strutter (Flight Leader): RTB 0 kills

Gordon Houseman: (O) French Strutter: RTB / WIA / 1 kill
    Skip 2 scenarios

Central Powers

Obt Lt H Barnekow: Alb D.III (Red - Flight Leader): RTB / 0 kills

Lt Werner Thomas: Alb D.III (Green): RTB / 0 kills

Lt Ludwig Klein: Alb D.III (Blue) SD-NML / 2WIA / 1 kill
    Rolled 4 -1SD -2WIA -1NML = 0 - Dead ! KIA

Scores on the doors. 1 kill each so a draw ,except for the wounded and KIA.
    Strutters are fun , but Bristols are better! Must get a few more
    Thankyou and good night.
    Last edited by flash; 02-23-2024 at 04:25. Reason: Tally tidy

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Nice AAR Paul, filled with plenty of action.

Good to see you back in the cockpit, Paul.

A nod's as good as a wink and a draw's better'n' nowt, innit?

Welcome back to the fray, Paul, I'll get to this soon !
    Don't forget we roll for casualties, I'll do so for Klein, 2 wnds is not an auto kill - unless we roll badly !
    Which I did

More to come

Uncle says
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uncle Outside.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	336128
    Well done chaps, knocked down a Heine, and managed to get most of the flight home but I'm sure we can do better. Next time !

Need a lot more info in your Tally, Paul, please use the given format. I have entered the results as given into the roster but it makes for poor reading in the AAR. I rolled for Klein, with the same disastrous result before I realised you must have rolled for the others too. I put it down to the drugs !

Ltn Jacob Rosenhain has joined the Eagles as a replacement for Klein
    Last edited by flash; 02-23-2024 at 04:39.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Nice little action Paul and a very clear AAR. Honours even although the C&W rolls were a little harsh. Nice to have you back in the OTT. Rep inbound.

As the others wrote, welcome back, Paul. Always good to get a draw versus those nasty Albatri with their A guns. Also, welcome back from your encounter with the MO, Dave.

A little rusty when rolling and tabulating the casualty results. Dock me a days pay
    Drinks in the Mess for all, and Dave bring the drugs

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Paul it's good to see you and your planes back in action, hope all is well with you and your missus. I was looking for the stone wall that I was always sure you would fly into until I realised you'd moved since the last AAR.
    All the best for the future.
    Cheers

Nice one Paul, good to have you back in the saddle Drugs or no drugs that was a splendid outing and the Strutters did very well. I'm not sure the early version Bristols would have done any better, given the way the cards fell.

Well played and thanks for the entertainment

RIP Lt Ludwig Klein

Good to see you back Paul. A nice tight fight but for the loss of Klein. Your boys are at least all coming back to fly again and a first kill for Houseman.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-FYM Mission 1 - First Outing - 5th April 1917 by Baz
    By Baz in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-14-2024, 09:18
  2. AAR OTT FYM Mission 1 – First Outing - 5th April 1917 – AAR by Mike
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-28-2024, 04:16
  3. AAR OTT-FYM - Mission 1 - Flash’s First Outing - 5th April 1917
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15