Ares Games

Thread: AA Gun companion die

Default AA Gun companion die

The AA Gun fire procedure is fairly hard to remember and fiddly, especially if you don't play often. I noticed people just don't play it enough, and that's a pity because it is great fun. The procedure is fairly simple yet over-explained in the rule book. Also, i never remember the loading trick.

So i was thinking how to make it all simple and i created the following algorithm, that is represented by a special companion die.

Name:  Img_9168-2.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  63.1 KB

You set the die next to your AA Gun with the "AA Gun ready" side up. Then you advance the die before movement in the direction of the little arrow on it and
    it will tell you what to do next.
    - the white arrow means you don't have to advance it,
    - the half black/half white arrow is conditional (you have to advance unless you decide to adjust), and
    - the black arrow means the advancement is mandatory.

That's it.

I made it out of 300g paper and filled it with hot glue to give it some weight.

Name:  die-preview.png
Views: 325
Size:  27.5 KB

You can download the ready to print file from BGG
    https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/2...companion-dice

Name:  IMG_9171-2.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  142.5 KB

Name:  IMG_9173-2.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  127.5 KB

Name:  Img_9177-2.jpg
Size:  88.3 KB

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is another way of doing it with this card and a standard D6, or a little marker you move along the card

Name:  AAGunBGG.jpg
Size:  85.9 KB
    Last edited by Honza; 02-11-2024 at 09:52.

Saw the flowchart and the die in the App and other posts so I'm just here to clap at your genius again

I like the card with the flow chart. I usually just put 3 recovery tokend near the AA gun. Your AA progressioin die is a great idea.

The die is a very good method of running the AA Jan, especially when you have several guns and lots of aircraft in a solo game to deal with.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Another quick and dirty solution is to buy a blank die and write it on it with an alcohol based marker.

I couldn't upload it here, so i put it on BGG, i suppose you guys know what BGG is. If you cannot get the file from there please PM me, i'll put it up on my server.

Either the die or the card will be a great help. I'm going to print several cards to use. Thanks, Jan!

Thank you for making the AA gun easier to use.

Ha, i got a medal. I didn't get a medal for the app, i got medal for this. That's how you do it. Thanks

Doesn't hold fire mean that from state 2, we go back to state 1? So, a further black/white transition from 2 to 1 needed?

Yes and no. You can keep it in the conditional state 2 forever. The ready state (1) is actually just to keep the timing right for 5->1->2.

Congratulations Jan on your award, well-deserved.

Thank you Craig, you have a perfect taste for avatars.

Similar Missions

1. WWI aircraft database & companion app
    By Honza in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 353
    Last Post: 03-03-2024, 01:05
  2. A companion app in development
    By Honza in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 03-14-2020, 15:17
  3. WGS: A companion for the Universal Solo Diceless Chart
    By RiotInferno in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 72