Ares Games

Thread: My new game S.55 - Wings Over the Atlantic

Default My new game S.55 - Wings Over the Atlantic

Some of you managed to try S.55 - Wings Over the Atlantic in Prague or in Lucca or even in Rome last year. It is a steamlined simulation of private and Regia Aeronautica air cruises across the Ocean in '20s and '30s, but some scenario can be added with US, Spanish and Portuguese seaplanes.
    The game, produced with the blessing of the Italian Air Force, will soon be launched on Kickstarter:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...r-the-atlantic
    If you are interested, please subscribe to the Kickstarter page.
    To get updates about the project, please subscribe to the newsletter too: https://www.huninthesun.it/s55/
    Please also help to spread the new around... If you need pictures or further details to post in your blogs or sites, please feel free to contact me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	italia_brasile_1200x0600.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	335133

Name:	vignadivalle54.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	335132

Name:	received_256781761868028-1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	335131

Name:	Pragas55.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	335134
    Last edited by Angiolillo; 01-29-2024 at 21:31.

Kickstarter alert set up, looks brilliant

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Its a great game as Tim will confirm .Well worth an investment in the kickstart.
    Most enjoyable even though I lost

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Some of you managed to try S.55 - Wings Over the Atlantic in Prague or in Lucca or even in Rome last year. It is a steamlined simulation of private and Regia Aeronautica air raids across the Ocean in '20s and '30s, but some scenario can be added with US, Spanish and Portuguese seaplanes.
    I'm assuming that you meant to write air races?

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Its a great game as Tim will confirm .Well worth an investment in the kickstart.
    Most enjoyable even though I lost
    Most enjoyable, even though I didn't lose!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Expansion pack idea: Pan Am and Imperial/BOAC's big triple-tailed Boeing 314s bucking North Atlantic storms on the New York-Botwood-Foynes-Southampton route.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Some of the button labels were in Italian. I followed the link and clicked on what I thought was "keep me updated" and going by the email I have received I ended up pre-ordering 3 copies by clicking 3 times on the screen to try and exit. Naturally I only am interested in one copy.

Not sure when this game will be published but my inept computer skills aside, this plane is available in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Marketplace. If you have that simulator and fancy flying around in it, it is not expensive. I am downloading my plane now.
    Last edited by Baxter; 01-28-2024 at 15:48.

Looks interesting. I'll be watching this one for the Kickstarter.

Thanks everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I'm assuming that you meant to write air races?
    Thanks a lot for yor comment, very interesting. For us Italians, "raid" is clearly a word imported from English. But in Italian and French it has a sport meaning of long-distance treks or competitions to show ability and endurance, I now see - thanks to you - that this meaning is completely missing in English.

https://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaire...ais/raid/66225

Name:	Aviation-Aviateur-Mon-Raid-Paris-Tokyo-Pelletier-Doisy.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	335177

I did not really mean "races", they were not racing against each other (even if in the game, if you play in more than 1, there are several players cometing). They just attemted to complete long-range flights that none had done before, or to do them in mass flights of 12/24 planes (Italo Balbo was the one trying them, so "Balbo" still means a mass of planes).
    At that time they spoke about "Crociere atlantiche", or "Atlantic cruises". I will correct this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Expansion pack idea: Pan Am and Imperial/BOAC's big triple-tailed Boeing 314s bucking North Atlantic storms on the New York-Botwood-Foynes-Southampton route.
    Great idea indeed. But the game system should be somehow changed: now the game is based on the length of the steps you take from a city to the next along the path. It does not fits well single long-range flights. Must think about that.

I see that there was already a thread for it, besides, that I forgot and did not show up in searches:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...over-the-Ocean
    Last edited by Angiolillo; 01-29-2024 at 21:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Most enjoyable, even though I didn't lose!

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

When is, roughly, the Kickstarter meant to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Thanks everybody!
    Thanks a lot for your comment, very interesting. For us Italians, "raid" is clearly a word imported from English. But in Italian and French it has a sport meaning of long-distance treks or competitions to show ability and endurance, I now see - thanks to you - that this meaning is completely missing in English.
    Interesting. I seem to recall that Raid and Road in English have the same root word. And that "Road" was often used to mean raid; e.a. on the Scots-English border in the 16th cen.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Paukenschlager View Post
    When is, roughly, the Kickstarter meant to start?
    In a few weeks. It also depending on how quickly we can spread the new and how many people will subscribe project and newsletter. Please help telling around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Interesting. I seem to recall that Raid and Road in English have the same root word. And that "Road" was often used to mean raid; e.a. on the Scots-English border in the 16th cen.
    Thanks again for the infos! Intriguing.

The subject of this game is fascinating and, of course, very unusual in games... The time period is great.
    Looking forward to it !

A) Will it include :
    1) record attempts (speed/distance), such as :
    - the solo flight Paris-New-York in 1927 by Charles Nungesser flying L'oiseau blanc then Charles Lindbergh on the Spirit of St. Louis
    - the first crossing of the Andes by Luis Candelaria
    - etc.

2) the first Airlines such as Air Orient…

3) Long flights to South America for Airborne postal services by e.g. the Compagnie générale aéropostale (1918-1933) with pilots such as Mermoz, Saint-Exupéry...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aéropostale_(aviation)

B) Will failure (engine, radio...), weather conditions, fatigue, crash, rough landing, navigation, piloting, night/day conditions... be simulated ?

C) Will there be many/several planes with specific characteristics ?

These questions only to know more of the game

Keep up the good work

(edit)
    Just received a first newsletter about the game. I know more of it. It'll be about the... S.55 seaplane (as the title says it...). Seems promising !
    Last edited by Le Piaf; 03-03-2024 at 04:13.

Similar Missions

1. Wings of war board game computer game?
    By =Binks= in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-03-2019, 15:00
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2016, 09:11
  3. WW2 Battle of Atlantic?/ WoG
    By Aftermath in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2015, 10:02
  4. Pacific vs Atlantic !!!
    By pinardouze in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-29-2014, 16:44
  5. eBay Wings of Glory Game Mat Coast Board Game, last one.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 11:22