Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mess of the OTT Fierce Young Men Campaign 1917

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I'm assuming IP is Canadian for young, good looking, (fictional) women.
    Indeed it is. Also, in the USA; just ask George RR Martin.

It is "the Captain Vagabond" that I and MI6 are interested in. They believe that he could be a double agent using both personas.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    It is "the Captain Vagabond" that I and MI6 are interested in. They believe that he could be a double agent using both personas.
    Kyte.
    He's a wee bit ancient by now, isn't he???

Ancient? He has only been flying for a few years!
    Kyte.

Ancient? He has only been flying for a few years!
    Kyte.
    Are we not speaking of Capitaine de Vaisseau Vagabonde? No? Oh my? Far too many Vagabond(e)s for me to keep track of them all.

I think Dave went in to hospital yesterday, so probably either had the op then or is having it today. Either way, all the best, buddy, and hope the op is 100 per cent successfull and that the recovery period is quick and relatively free of discomfort.

Cheers, buddy, and here's to your return

I also add my best wishes for a swift and successful recovery Dave.
    As you may have guessed I will be raising a glass or three to support these wishes.
    Hope to hear from you soon Squadron Leader.

Rob.

Dave, Look forward to hearing of success under the knife and of course the nurse report. Hope all is well on both accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Are we not speaking of Capitaine de Vaisseau Vagabonde? No? Oh my? Far too many Vagabond(e)s for me to keep track of them all.
    The oldest incarnation is the most recent one. The Black Vagabond along with Mad Wullie Snapcase and Dashing Dougie Douglas went reiving in the Scots/English borders in the 1500's. The weather turned bad, it snowed and they got lost on the moors. Coming down from the hill they raided a farmstead and ran off with 29 sheep. It continued to snow and the sheep dog that had taken with them wasn't very good and so by the time they came to Devils Ford and recognised where they were, the flock was down to 4 sheep.
    That's also when they realised that it was an Armstrong farm they'd raided. At that time the Armstrong's could put 3,000 men into the field and the Snappers, Douggers amd Vaggers clan of Broken Men could manage about 30 so it would be a close run thing if it came to a fight.

Anyway to cut a long story short, there were 3 Armstrong's guarding the ford, so we ran the sheep at them and followed up with pistol and sword, killing or wounding them all. To make sure they couldn't inform their kin who had done it, we slit the throats of the wounded and went on home, unfortunately loosing 3 more of the sheep on the way.

Two days later the Armstrong's turned up in our valley looking for...you guessed it, sheep, but by then we'd eaten the evidence and were able to convince them we had nothing to do with it.

We need more sheep to get us through the winter but will raid some smaller families farmstead next time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    I think Dave went in to hospital yesterday, so probably either had the op then or is having it today. Either way, all the best, buddy, and hope the op is 100 per cent successfull and that the recovery period is quick and relatively free of discomfort.

Cheers, buddy, and here's to your return
    My best wishes as well Dave.
    Cheers

Kyte.
    Interesting you should mention MI6 because there was a Major (Rtd) John Vagabond known to be in Jamjharistan believed to be working for MI6 between the wars, I wonder if that's your Captain Vagabond. I'll keep an eye out for him in my travels.
    Cheers

Indeed, on reflection there was an a German contingent in Jamjharistan at the same time, the officers name was something like Hu Rhu a good old fashioned Prussian name if ever there was one. If my aged memory serves me correctly he had a magic carpet or maybe a dirigible to fly around in, I've not seen the bounder since and so I expect he's resting indolently on his family estate somewhere in Prussia.
    Pip Pip
    Last edited by Vagabond; 02-23-2024 at 04:01.

Uncle is back in the Top Office but functioning slowly ! He will get to AAR's as and when he feels able

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Uncle is back in the Top Office but functioning slowly ! He will get to AAR's as and when he feels able
    Take care Dave and hoping you have a speedy recovery

Glad to have you back Dave and pleased that, by the sounds of it, all went according to plan

John Vagabond - you have missed your vocation as a novelist, unless that is, you already are one

Good to hear, Dave Best wishes for an A-deck recovery

Glad it went well. Treat yourself gently for a few days. Wishing you well

Glad to hear it went well. Take your time in recovery but good to see you back on the Forum.

Great to hear from you so soon Dave. Now just take things steady and don't push yourself too much.
    We will just about cope in the mess until you can pick up the pieces.

Rob.

Great to hear they let you out so soon. Oh, you were at hospital not the asylum...still good.

Take your time and do what you must to fully recover. We'll all be here trying not to muck thing up too much till you are back in the air.

Good news Dave, hope to see you at fight club

Pleased to hear you're back and by the sounds of it, happy to be back. I don't think you said what the neck operation was for. I hope it wasn't to remove the "Pain in the Neck" that are the OTT crew.
    I'm having a drink at the moment to celebrate your return, although to be honest I'd be having a drink anyway.
    Cheers

No. I've checked, you're all still there !
    Basically it's a cervical stenosis myelopathy, or, in layman terms a disc in my neck had prolapsed and was pressing on my spinal cord causing me referred arm and leg pain issues.
    Look it up and be frightened, we all have it to greater or lesser degrees I'm told. This was one of three they could fix but the other two are less trouble at the moment.
    The image of the MRi I found online could have been mine !

We will just about cope in the mess until you can pick up the pieces.

Rob.
    I hope not in the literal sense Dave. Did they fuse the vertebrae or insert plastic discs to replace the damaged ones?
    Last edited by flash; 02-25-2024 at 03:13.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I hope the operation provides you with a lot of relief from the pain. Take care, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    .. Did they fuse the vertebrae or insert plastic discs to replace the damaged ones?
    They take the disc out (discectomy), Paul, insert what they call a LEGO ('cos that's what it looks like) which contains stuff that grows onto and fuses the two vertebrae together. All is pinned in place with a plate and Screws. I can still turn my head, so can check my six but just have to do it slowly for now ! No neck brace.
    All pretty good so far.

All sounds pretty horrible to me. Just very glad it is working out ok for you Dave.
    Meanwhile, this is one OTT pain in the neck that's going to be out of the office for a while. I'll try to keep in touch over the coming weeks but will not be able to do the March Mission until we get back.

Have fun all and catch up again soon

..Meanwhile, this is one OTT pain in the neck that's going to be out of the office for a while....
    Hope you and Yon have a good time with the family & the grandbabies, Mike, I should have another myself by next weekend

Hope you and Yon have a good time with the family & the grandbabies, Mike, I should have another myself by next weekend
    Cheers Dave, Indeed you should. Hope all goes well with the birth

Mission 2 is ready but I'll wait until Thursday - Leap Day - to post. It will be challenging - especially for the Brits (Entente), but it is Bloody April after all. The only give away is "balloons" since I finally got my WoG balloons.

Thanks, Paul, looking forward to it, I should be able to totter out to the Orderly Room and set it up when the time comes.

Hi All, back from Canada and feeling good. However, going to be out of the office for a while yet as something else has cropped up requiring a possible second trip abroad. Shall catch up with everything as soon as I can

Understood, Mike, keep in touch buddy.

Will post the April mission sometime tomorrow.
    Things got behind with visitors from Canada

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2927.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	337257
    Jasta 18 D.VII could not survive a fire

Name:	IMG_2928.JPG 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	337258
    Berthold got Boomed!

Name:	IMG_2929.JPG 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	337259
    10yr old grandson, Max enjoyed our co-op encounter; he was Bishop (appropriate since he's Canadian, eh?) while I flew McCudden (and came to within 1 of being downed thanks to fire)
    [We used my 'Excelerized' version of Flash's D8 charts for the German moves]
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 03-31-2024 at 16:27.

Hope the charts gave you a good game, Pete, looks like your grandson had their measure !
    look forward to seeing the scenario when it comes.

Well played guys - looks like fun had by all

PS So far so good with my sister in law, whose op went wrong. She's not yet out of the woods but the immediate crisis seems to have blown over. Still don't know when we shall go to Holland to see her, but not in the next couple of weeks a least - I think!
    Looking forward to seeing mission 3 Pete

I am not a participant in these campaign, but I find the AARs interesting reading.

Will next year's campaign feature the Gallant Young Men and the year following Heroic Young Men? I have no idea what to use for the year after that.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    I am not a participant in these campaign, but I find the AARs interesting reading.

Will next year's campaign feature the Gallant Young Men and the year following Heroic Young Men? I have no idea what to use for the year after that.
    The Iconic Young Men?

Incredible? Idiotic? Insufferable?

Irascible ; Insane; Insatiable; Infamous - a lot of possibilities there

Incontinent … like when your guns are jammed and MvR is right on your six

Ingenuous!

Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    ..Will next year's campaign feature the Gallant Young Men and the year following Heroic Young Men? I have no idea what to use for the year after that.
    You may be closer than you thought Robert !

I reckon I just aged another ten years. OTT FYM Mission 3 is up and running. I've only managed three turns so far, after playing some yesterday and all afternoon today - and I'm already knackered But it is looking surprisingly in the balance already

That said, fewer than 13 aircraft and just one mission, not two (or so it seems to me) on the table at once next time would be appreciated, no matter how interesting this one is

Not your fault I'm getting old, Pete

..Not your fault I'm getting old, Pete..
    Er, Mike, older !
    Been busy posting pics of FC so not even got that stuff out yet, will have to take a look tomorrow if I find time

Intrepid, Incontinent, Incoherent, Inferm, Inane, Insubordinate, and Ironic Young Men might cover it.

I was trying to add one for Mike and Inferm was as close as I could get. The scenarios do seem to be getting a little more complex, which is both a good and bad thing but as Mike is May I'm expecting something daring and elegantly simple with a twist of complexity thrown in for good measure.
    Cheers

I was trying to add one for Mike and Infirm was as close as I could get.
    I would have prefered indefatigable, until today that is However, Mission 3 is definitely taking it out of the old chap (or perhaps that should read older chap )

Have a great trip, John, wherever you are heading off to on this occassion The May Mission will await your return with malice aforethought

Sorry if my April mission is a 'biggun' , guys, but I thought Bloody April needed more than just a simple dogfight.
    Mine is set up to play this afternoon (or should I say "start to play" )

I suppose I am lucky that I have lots of room to both play and track the combatants.

Thanks, Paul, looking forward to it, I should be able to totter out to the Orderly Room and set it up when the time comes.
    It won't posted this week, Dave. Alas, it's just been too busy.

Mine's done. Hope to get it posted in the next few days.

14* planes on the table so it took a while.

* yeah I gave the Brits two groups of 4 (a lot of rookies)

look forward to the AAR, Pete.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2024, 09:35
  2. Mess of the OTT Edgy Young Men Campaign 1917
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 179
    Last Post: 01-31-2024, 08:01
  3. OTT Fierce Young men (FYM) Campaign Rules.
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-15-2023, 04:38
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-13-2023, 02:55
  5. Mess of the OTT Bold Young Men Campaign 1916
    Replies: 305
    Last Post: 10-05-2022, 04:07