Ares Games

Thread: ChatGPT and Wings of War

Default ChatGPT and Wings of War

Inspired by those posts about AI-generated posters, I wondered what chatGPT could contribute to wings of war...

First, I tried to play against it. I set up a simple dogfight and asked it to select manoeuvres. Each turn I told it the relative positions of the aircraft and informed it of any shots and damage received. It seemed to choose manoeuvres fairly randomly, although it did get some shots at me. It was hard to tell whether that was just luck or not... The whole thing was quite tedious because it is language based, so I had to keep explaining things to it in words. But it did seem to understand the concept. The main problem was that it would either tell me all three manoeuvres up front (instead of revealing them one by one) or if it was only telling me them one by one I didn't trust it not to change its selection...! It also tried to do the damage card draws for me, but I'm not sure it really understood the composition of the damage decks, or maybe it was cheating...

Second, I asked it to generate some scenarios, which yielded some interesting results:

You: Can you suggest a scenario for a 1916 game involving some of the following aircraft: DH.2, Morane Bullet, Halberstadt D.II, Fokker E.III, Roland C.II?
    ChatGPT: Certainly! How about a scenario called "The Duel over No Man's Land"? Set in 1916, the Western Front is the backdrop for a heated dogfight between British and German aircraft. Here's a simple scenario outline:

Objective: Each side is tasked with gaining air superiority and protecting their reconnaissance plane.

Setup:

Divide the gaming area into two halves, representing the contested airspace over No Man's Land.
    Place a reconnaissance plane model (representing a vulnerable target) in the center.
    Each player selects one or more aircraft from the list (DH.2, Morane Bullet for the British; Halberstadt D.II, Fokker E.III, Roland C.II for the Germans).
    Special Rules:

Reconnaissance Plane: The reconnaissance plane is on a mission and follows a predetermined path. The side that successfully defends or attacks the reconnaissance plane gains victory points.
    Trenches and Ground Fire: Designate certain areas on the ground as trenches. Flying low over these areas incurs the risk of ground fire, requiring a dice roll to avoid damage.
    Victory Conditions:

British: Score points for each turn the reconnaissance plane is within their control and for each enemy aircraft shot down.
    Germans: Score points for damaging or shooting down the reconnaissance plane and for each British aircraft shot down.
    This scenario should create an engaging dogfight with the added challenge of protecting or intercepting the reconnaissance plane, capturing the intensity of aerial combat during this period.
    A pre-determined path for a reconnaissance aircraft feels a bit rigid. The scoring is an interesting idea, I think it is trying to suggest a "zone" over which the reconnaissance machine scores points. I have always played reconnaissance with a target, but a zone-based approach might work quite well. It has not worked on the balance at all though...

You: Can you generate a scenario involving a Siemens Schuckert D.III?
    ChatGPT: Certainly! Let's create a scenario called "Silent Skies: The Siemens Schuckert Ambush."

Setting: Eastern Front, 1917. A lone Siemens Schuckert D.III, equipped with a prototype silencer, is on a secret mission deep within enemy territory. Both Allied and Central forces have caught wind of this advanced aircraft, and a fierce battle ensues.

Objective:
    The Siemens Schuckert D.III must successfully complete its reconnaissance mission by flying over specific waypoints and returning to its starting position.

Setup:

The gaming area is divided into three zones, representing the different waypoints and the starting/ending position.
    Place markers for each waypoint and the starting/ending position.
    The Siemens Schuckert D.III starts in the center zone.
    Special Rules:

Silencer Prototype: The Siemens Schuckert D.III has a unique advantage - a prototype silencer. It can perform reconnaissance without alerting nearby enemy aircraft. However, the pilot must make a successful maneuver roll each turn to maintain the silencer's effectiveness.
    Interception: Allied and Central forces must intercept the Siemens Schuckert D.III before it completes its mission. Each side gains victory points for damaging or shooting down the advanced aircraft.
    Limited Ammo: The Siemens Schuckert D.III has limited ammunition due to its silencer prototype. The pilot must manage shots carefully.
    Victory Conditions:

Siemens Schuckert D.III: Score points for successfully completing the reconnaissance mission and for each turn the aircraft survives.
    Allied and Central Forces: Score points for damaging or shooting down the Siemens Schuckert D.III.
    This scenario introduces a stealth element with the silencer prototype, adding a unique twist to the aerial combat dynamics. Players must strategize to either protect the advanced aircraft or intercept it before it reveals critical information.
    This one was a bit bizarre, it seems to envisage the two opposing sides both trying to shoot down the SS D.III, and it is not clear what this "silencer" means for gameplay... I get the impression it only wanted to use "silencer" because of the alliteration with Siemens-Schuckert!

You: How about a balloon scenario on the Italian front?
    ChatGPT: Certainly! Let's create a scenario titled "Battle for the Skies: The Balloon Offensive."

Setting: Italian Front, 1918. Both Allied and Central forces are engaged in a critical battle for control of the skies. The key to gaining a strategic advantage lies in capturing or defending a vital observation balloon.

Objective:
    Each side aims to either destroy the enemy observation balloon or defend it from destruction. The balloon is positioned in the center of the gaming area.

Setup:

Place a large model or marker representing the observation balloon at the center of the gaming area.
    Divide the gaming area into two halves for the Allied and Central forces.
    Each side selects a mix of aircraft from the era (consider models like SPAD XIII, Sopwith Camel for Allies; Albatros D.V, Fokker Dr.I for Central forces).
    Special Rules:

Observation Balloon: The balloon is a stationary target with specific hit points. It cannot defend itself but can provide valuable information. The side that destroys the enemy balloon gains victory points.
    Anti-Aircraft Emplacements: Designate areas around the balloon as anti-aircraft zones. Flying too close to these zones may result in damage to aircraft, representing ground-based defenses.
    Reinforcements: Both sides can have reinforcements arriving from the edges of the gaming area after a certain number of turns.
    Victory Conditions:

Allied Forces or Central Forces: Score points for destroying the enemy observation balloon and for each turn the balloon remains intact.
    Balloon Defenders: Score points for preventing the destruction of their observation balloon and for each enemy aircraft shot down.
    This scenario creates a dynamic and strategic game where players must balance the offense and defense, considering the importance of the observation balloon in gaining a tactical advantage on the Italian Front.
    This one was not particularly imaginative, but balloon scenarios are fairly standard. The main problem is that it suggests German aircraft for the Italian Front... When I gently nudged it, things improved:

You: I don't think the Albatros D.Va or the Fokker Dr.I were used on the Italian Front. What other aircraft could you suggest for the Central Powers?
    ChatGPT: You're correct, and I appreciate the clarification. For the Italian Front scenario involving Central Powers, consider these aircraft that were historically used on the Eastern and Italian fronts during World War I:

Albatros D.III: A widely used German fighter on the Eastern and Italian fronts, known for its maneuverability and effectiveness in dogfights.

Phönix D.I: An Austro-Hungarian fighter aircraft that saw service on the Italian Front, known for its good performance at high altitudes.

Hansa-Brandenburg D.I: Another Austro-Hungarian fighter, used on the Eastern and Italian fronts, valued for its speed and agility.

Fokker D.VII: Although primarily used on the Western Front, some units equipped with the Fokker D.VII were transferred to the Italian Front later in the war.

Feel free to choose from these alternatives based on historical accuracy and the balance you're looking for in your scenario.
    You: how about the Aviatik D.I?
    ChatGPT: The Aviatik D.I is an excellent choice for the Central Powers on the Italian Front scenario. Here's a revised list of aircraft for both sides:

Allied Forces (Entente):

SPAD XIII
    Sopwith Camel
    Central Powers:

Albatros D.III
    Aviatik D.I
    This lineup maintains historical accuracy and provides a balanced set of aircraft for engaging in aerial combat over the Italian Front. The Aviatik D.I was indeed used by the Austro-Hungarian Empire on the Eastern and Italian fronts during World War I, making it a fitting addition to the scenario.

I wonder where it stole the bones of those scenarios from ?

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Albatros D.III: A widely used German fighter on the Eastern and Italian fronts, known for its maneuverability and effectiveness in dogfights.
    Errrr - NO!

Widely used, yes.....but the rest is rubbish.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-30-2017, 14:20
  2. National: Wings of Glory / Wings of Past / Wings of Money
    By gratefulbob in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-21-2017, 10:38
  3. List of ALL WWII Wings of War/Wings of Glory Airplanes
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-02-2016, 14:53
  4. Replies: 0