Ares Games

Thread: Damage Card Symbols

Default Damage Card Symbols

In reply to an AAR I made comments about symbols on the Ares damage cards. I thought it was worth repeating here, especially for new players.

On the damage deck cards the symbols for gun jam, and engine damage are quite similar. In a game when a person draws a card without another for comparison, it can be baffling as to what the damage is. The most common mistake is to take gun jam damage for an engine damage symbol.

In checking this out, I realised that the clearest way to differentiate between gun jam and engine damage is that gun jam symbols are either green or red. The engine damage symbol is black. So, go by the colour instead of scratching your head too long about the symbol.

This still comes up occasionally even with old hands, they flash the card announcing the shooter has jammed guns, only to be told by the recipient that no, his engine has been damaged. (much to the amusement of other pilots who are now aware of his 'secret' damage!)
    Colour is the key, and familiarity with the Ares damage deck. Engine damage is black and looks like a cog with a prop and a lightning flash superimposed, jams are red or green and look like a reticule with a lightning flash superimposed. The old Nexus damage decks were much clearer & very different markings which is why I tend to use them over the Ares.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Definitely prefer the Nexus symbols, especially the blindingly obvious two cog engine damage symbol

another clue is the number of "teeth" on the symbol. the jams got 4, and the engine hit has 8.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    another clue is the number of "teeth" on the symbol. the jams got 4, and the engine hit has 8.
    True, but I think the quickest way to recognise the difference is the colour. If the symbol is black it is NOT a gun jam.

Similar Missions

1. eBay Damage card set A B C D
    By Teaticket in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-27-2020, 00:22
  2. Explosion damage card. Necessary for fun?
    By Mefwyn in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-10-2016, 20:21
  3. confused about maneuver card symbols
    By troubleshootah in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-30-2013, 02:22
  4. Damage card box.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 22:05