Ares Games

Thread: Run Rabbit Run

Default Run Rabbit Run

Tried this the other day.

2 mats joined along long edge. 3 FE2bs start half a ruler length in on the far East (right) side of the mats, with a ruler length between each. A DH2 and a Nieuport 17 start one ruler length in on the West, after the first or second Turn (roll dice to decide) with a ruler length between each. 2 Albatros D.IIs will appear on the Eastern edge after the first or second turn (roll dice to decide).

The aim of the Entente is for the FE2bs to escape off the West (left) side of the mat. The aim of the Central Powers is to stop them. Simples.

I tried to simulate formation flying as follows: The lead FE2b plans it's 3 movement cards. Planes 2 and 3 do not plan the first move. This simulates that planes 2 and 3 react one movement card later. The first card of plane 1 becomes the first movement card (movement place 2) of planes 2 and 3. Plane 1 card 2 becomes second movement (movement place 3) of planes 1 and 2. Plane 1 card 3 will become the first card in Turn 2 for planes 2 and 3

MOVEMENT 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

PLANE 1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

PLANES 2/3 X 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 This made perfect sense when I played it but a bugger to try and write in anything other than confusing

You can play the lead plane or run as AI. Carry on the sequence until an illegal move would occur, fire or it makes sense to cease formation flying, then all planes revert to AI.

On Turn 2 or 3 the Central Powers will start the chase and the Entente will start to come to the rescue.

Yet to run it the other way with Rolands trying to get home but I will do. This can be used with any number of planes at any era throughout the War. These were the planes generated by dice. Have fun with it and I'll try to answer any questions.

Can see what you're trying to convey in 'confusing', Iain but I have a question: Do planes 1 & 2 play any move at all in phase 1 or does plane 1 just pull out a lead (thus opening the formation) ?
    I was just thinking if they're all doing straights to start with that when plane 1 does something different planes 2 & 3 then delay that manoeuvre to the next phase.
    Problem you might have with chase games is being able to catch them if you start two turns later. FE's are slow, Alb D.II's a bit quicker but Roland's are as fast, or, faster than any Entente fighter of their time. Just means you might need to add some slowing mechanism to the scenario.
    Last edited by flash; 09-27-2023 at 00:46. Reason: missed a word !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Ahith, I can see the problem. This was lined up perfectly when I typed

MOVEMENT Turn 1: Card:1 2 3 Turn 2: Card: 4 5 6 Turn 3: Card: 7 8 9

PLANE 1 Turn 1: Card: 1 2 3 Turn 2: Card: 4 5 6 Turn 3: Card:7 8 9

PLANES 2/3Turn 1: Card:X 1 2 Turn 2: Card: 3 4 5 Turn 3: Card:6 7 8
    Planes 2 and 3 do not move on the first card of the first Turn. Plane 1 is will then be one card ahead of planes 2 and 3. Movement 2 card is played by Plane 1. Movement card 2 is played by Planes 2 and 3 - this will be the same card as Plane 1's Movement card 1. So 2 and 3's first card of the next Turn will be Plane 1's third card of the current Turn. Planes 2 and 3 follow the movements of Plane 1 but one card later.

Have yet to run scenario with the Rolands. If it proves one sided, may have to run the scenario as Rolands returning home after a mission run into Brit planes returning from a patrol. We will have to see what happens.
    Last edited by camel crew; 09-26-2023 at 12:10.

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Ahith, I can see the problem. This was lined up perfectly when I typed ..
    Ahh, gotcha. I thought you were starting in the formation you were going to use, Iain. Starting this way you could shake out into V, echelon, left & right formations if you extended the delay to the third machine at the start. Good luck chasing down the Roland's but I don't fancy your chances !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

When you tried this out, how did you go with turns? Whenever I have tried to fly planes in formation, I usually have the plane on the outside of a turn do an extra straight and then turn so that it stays in formation with the other plane. I guess having the FE2bs one ruler length apart gave more room for turning without contacting each other, or getting in each other's road.

Similar Missions

1. Flying Rabbit Cartoons.
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-22-2016, 04:45
  2. The Rabbit of Caerbannog
    By fast.git in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-01-2016, 14:13