Ares Games

Thread: Salute 2024

Default Salute 2024

Just when you are still looking forward to Doncaster - an invite to put on a game at Salute next year. Saturday 13th April at Excel. A bit early perhaps, but anyone interested?
    Last edited by Guntruck; 08-30-2023 at 04:58. Reason: Cock up in the calendar department
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I'm interested, I will probably be in town that weekend

Appeals to me. Have to check closer to the date

19th April 2024 will be a Friday....

...and, anyway, I'll probably be in Prague.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Finger trouble! Should have been Saturday 13th April.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Finger trouble! Should have been Saturday 13th April.
    Says you!

I've never known you to have difficulties utilising a finger (or two)!

Hmm, Saturday 13th - I might be OK for this, now that it doesn't clash with Prague...
    It's too soon to tell just yet.

A bit early to say, but interested I'll put it in my diary and hope it doesn't clash with anything else.

Just had confirmation we have a table at Salute. Nearer the time I'll see if there is enough interest to run some games.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    19th April 2024 will be a Friday....

...and, anyway, I'll probably be in Prague.
    See you in the Bar then Tim , Usual hotel at the end of the 29 Tram line ?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    See you in the Bar then Tim , Usual hotel at the end of the 29 Tram line ?
    No - it's booked out!

I've had to go further in towards the centre.

Hi All, Ruth and I should be ok for this again
    Happy to assist if someone else wants to run it this year.

Lest we forget

It's still on my radar, but I still can't confirm this far off.

Well, that's stuffed it! Now have to go to a relatives 90th Birthday bash on the same day as Salute so can't get to the show (much as I would prefer to). Quick question though for those who have shown an interest - what's the feeling about whether there are enough bodies to run the game properly, given that those who do attend need a break every now and then?

what's the feeling about whether there are enough bodies to run the game properly, given that those who do attend need a break every now and then?
    In answer to your question, I believe it would be difficult to run a game table all day with fewer than four of us. That said, personally I am still uncertain about this one. Yon and I are off to Canada again soon. I've already agreed with her to call off going to Prague for that reason and other uncertainties and although we are back in the country by then I have no idea what kind of physical state I'll be in. If its anything like last time I shall be wrecked. However, if I can make it I shall. Let you know for sure nearer the time.

Mike, I can accept that people may not be able to commit right at this point, but a decision has to be made fairly soon before the Salute organisers tie everything up and produce their lists/table allocations and send them off for printing. So far, we have only got John and Ruth who have signed up for this.

I agree with you totally Steve and Mike. When the arrangement was first made for conventions, it was ruled that at least four members were required to run a table if using the Wings title. Fewer than that and the organisers start noticing gaps in play and you then get a bad name around the circuit and offers start to dry up.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Mike, I can accept that people may not be able to commit right at this point, but a decision has to be made fairly soon before the Salute organisers tie everything up and produce their lists/table allocations and send them off for printing. So far, we have only got John and Ruth who have signed up for this.
    Right enough Steve. Totally understand. So with that in mind I shall have to say no. Then if you get four takers and the table runs and I get back from Canada in one piece, I shall just rock up, pay for myself to get in then do my bit to help. How does that sound?

Fair enough Mike.

I'm afraid I have to bow out.

Saturday 13th April is the day I fly out to Prague.

I'll stick my name down

Thanks Ian. I'm a bit late to this discussion but..
    One person to concentrate on running the scenario, one person to stand off and talk to passersby, one person each side to assist newbies, one extra to rotate, allow for toilet/ lunch/ back ache breaks. A 6th person is helpful but not mandatory.
    This is the ideal for shows, but 4 really does have to be the absolute minimum for the best punter experience.
    I've done shows with other groups where we have ended up with 3 people who know what they are doing and it is incredibly difficult, particularly when one has to stop and talk to other interested parties, thus slowing game play right down

Lest we forget

John, this is what I am concerned about. At present we will be lucky to get 4 people.

OK - anybody think there are enough bodies to run a game at Salute? If so shout now, otherwise I will cancel our table at the weekend.

Exclamation Salute table cancelled

Reluctantly, I have cancelled our table at Salute. I know I said I would wait until the weekend before I did so, but the organisers sent through the games list and table plan asking for final OK before they went out to print. I had a short deadline to respond to this, therefore I cancelled.

Fortunately they were all right about it, and were sorry we couldn't make it as, in their words: "we were a bit of a fixture". Hopefully if we want a table next year (and can gather enough bodies) there shouldn't be a problem.

A shame, Steve, but it happens sometimes. I'll do my best to commit next year. Meanwhile, thanks for your efforts on this one.

Similar Missions

1. Cold Wars 2024 cancelled!
    By Jager in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2023, 08:12
  2. Salute 2021 (or is it Salute 2020 redux?)
    By Guntruck in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 12-04-2021, 00:09
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-30-2020, 06:59
  4. Ontario: Salute
    By Kenji in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-04-2015, 00:43