Ares Games

Thread: My attempt at the Batesyboy BE2c

Default My attempt at the Batesyboy BE2c

This my attempt at a build of the Batesyboy BE2c found in the forum's files area. It was challenging to build, but I like the way it turned out, even with the imperfections. I had fun with it. I did a bit of repainting around the cockpits. The 'tyres' are rubber o-rings, and the Lewis gun (rather awkwardly positioned) is scratch built. The pilot (flight sublieutenent Skyler McFly) and observer (flight sublieutenent Roy G. Biv) are made from round toothpicks, whittled to shape and painted

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230820_120147~2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	330087

Name:	20230820_120234~2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	330088

Name:	20230820_120257~3.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	330089

Name:	20230820_114554~2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	330090
    Last edited by flash; 08-26-2023 at 00:44. Reason: title fix

Ah, there we go, I was getting an "invalid attachment" error a few minutes ago.
    Very nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Ah, there we go, I was getting an "invalid attachment" error a few minutes ago.
    Very nice work!
    I was struggling a bit with the photos, having forgotten that the Manage Attachments feature does not work well on my phone and tablet, but does work on my desktop computer. Eventually I got it sorted out. whew!

Excellent work.

Great job Larry. Nicely done.

That looks great, Larry, I like the O ring option for the under cart !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Yep, I agree. That's a very nice piece of kit! There's something very attractive about card models.
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 08-21-2023 at 01:29.

A beauty!

Very nicely done!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

reallt great work larry! looks like it was super fiddly.

Great work, Larry.
    The crew and Lewis scratch builds are really impressive.

Thank-you all for the kind words. This Batesyboy Bee will be featured in a soon-to-be played game. I'll post the AAR if it is worth sharing.

Very nicely done. Bravo Zulu!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thank-you to those who sent reps. I wanted to reply with a personal thanks to each person, but my reply fuction isn't working (yesterday and today).

That is a very impressive plane! Where do I find a link to try my hand at it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    That is a very impressive plane! Where do I find a link to try my hand at it?
    It's in the forum files here:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...do=file&id=808

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
    This my attempt at a build of the Batesyboy BE2c found in the forum's files area. It was challenging to build, but I like the way it turned out, even with the imperfections. I had fun with it. I did a bit of repainting around the cockpits. The 'tyres' are rubber o-rings, and the Lewis gun (rather awkwardly positioned) is scratch built. The pilot (flight sublieutenent Skyler McFly) and observer (flight sublieutenent Roy G. Biv) are made from round toothpicks, whittled to shape and painted
    Fantastic workmanship on this aeroplane Larry
    Last edited by flash; 08-27-2023 at 04:01.

That is ridiculously good Larry, apologies for calling you Sam in the Rep post !

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I am building paper planes myself but looking at the template I did not think the model can look so good. It does under your hands. Great job Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    That is ridiculously good Larry, apologies for calling you Sam in the Rep post !
    Thanks, Chris. Not to worry about "Sam"..... he may turn up in a future game!

Quote Originally Posted by bigpetr View Post
    I am building paper planes myself but looking at the template I did not think the model can look so good. It does under your hands. Great job Larry
    Thanks, Petr! The photos of this model that others have posted in the forum's Paper Models section led me to take a stab at it.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Billy
    Sorties Flown

Superb!

Name:	WWF_BE2cCard_2Sqn_2S.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	330415
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Mike, this is billiant!!

Well done Larry,
    I thought I was the only crazy person on the team to cut and fold little pieces of paper.
    Very nice work with maximum detail

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post

Name:	WWF_BE2cCard_2Sqn_2S.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	330415
    I did a bit of online research regarding No.2 Squadron. Really good choice for this Bee, Mike! The squadron is, in my mind, a perfect fit.

My game partner (and spouse) Janet and I are currently working out the details of a game scenario which (now) involves No.2 Squadron. Lots of fun; the Bee necessitating new, to us, strategies. Low flight speed and limited maneuvering ability, plus a terrible armament arrangement, creates a challenging but amusing situation. "We're having a jolly good time of it," says Flt Sublt McFly nervously.

Here is our current set up... very similar to John's (Vagabond) wonderful AAR found here: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...highlight=BE2c

Name:	20230829_115145.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	330433

The now No.2 Squadron Bee is challenged by two German training a/c, a Fokker E-I two-seater (CDL), and a gray Fokker E-II (Valom). The E-I had an eighty-hp engine and, in this scenario, had a crew of two rookies. The single-seat E-II had a 100hp motor. Both Fokkers use the XD deck; the E-I will require a stall card played each turn to account for the weight of the second crew member and for the less powerful engine.

We decided the BEE will have a single gun, the observer changing gun mounts as needed, but will require two maneuver phases to accomplish this. The Bee will be supplied with Mike's new game card --- thank-you Mike!!

Looking forward to your report. Like the early Fokkers mixing it up with the BEE!

Similar Missions

1. Albatros c1 prototype designed by Batesyboy
    By Zakopious in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 09:49
  2. My first attempt at a repaint
    By Badin23 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-26-2014, 05:27
  3. Building RAF Be2c designed by Batesyboy
    By Blackronin in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 13:55
  4. Converting the Skytrex "BE2C" to a late BE2C...
    By Wombat in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-25-2011, 13:08