Ares Games

Thread: Goodbye Smooth and Smoothest Fine Detail Plastic. But..

Default Goodbye Smooth and Smoothest Fine Detail Plastic. But..

As of 1 August 2023 Shapeways is discontinuing their "Smooth (and Smoothest) Fine Detail Plastic" material, which used to be known as "Fine Ultra Detail (FUD)". Its detail was superb, but was very brittle and sometimes suffered from surface crystallization. It was nice for small-scale models because it could be printed much thinner (0.4mm thick rather than 0.7mm).

The good news is that they already have a replacement in their "Gray Fine Detail Plastic", and they'll be adding a Tan option also. I've only got one test print in that material, but it is less brittle -- with some slight flex to thin parts. Less flex than "Versatile Plastic" (nee "WSF"). More like the PA12 (MJF) material in flexibility. I think it will be good for the gaming table! And it shows detail very well.

This mostly affects 1:285 and smaller models because the Detail Plastic materials have always been quite a bit more expensive than Versatile Plastic and PA12 at 1:144 scale. However, I believe that the new materials will be a nice option at 1:144 if you want to pay roughly 3× the price for a much more detailed and accurate model. I'll post a picture when I order one in 1:144.

The picture below shows a pair of 1:288 Hansa-Brandenburg W29s in the (translucent) Grey Fine Detail Plastic material. The first is unprimed and shows some stepping lines, the second has been primed and the stepping lines mostly fade away... even more so if it were painted. The paper clip is standard size (32mm long) and gives you an idea of scale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3185.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	329385

Thanks Daryl for the update

I've already received a Vickers Gunbus in the new Gray Fine Detail Plastic and am very happy with it. Pretty robust considering all the thin shafts. Second one ordered with a flock of others - I think only one wasn't availalbe in the Gray Plastic.

Thanks for the heads up Daryl. I'm also happy with the Grey Fine Detail Plastic. It is more expensive, but well worth it so far as I'm concerned

Good to know, Daryl. The ins and outs of materials science can often be hidden from the average consumer.

Similar Missions

1. General New "Clear Ultra Fine Detail" - opinions? UV-stable? Brittle?
    By BraselC5048 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2023, 09:47
  2. Goodbye Sir Tom.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-05-2021, 06:59
  3. FUD Detail Plastic (FUD) Surface Preparation
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2017, 04:16
  4. Goodbye-ee
    By steel_ratt in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-21-2013, 12:57
  5. Frosted Detail vs. Frosted Ultra Detail?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-18-2012, 06:21