Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-release of Aerodrome Accessories line

Default Re-release of Aerodrome Accessories line

I have been in contact with Evan of Rival Sky games and he verified that he had purchased the Aerodrome Accessories line after it stopped production awhile back. Due to some personal issues (life happens) he has been delayed in producing/releasing any product. Recent contact with Evan stated that he plans on beginning the release of products in August and is beginning the process of making flight stands this weekend.I wish him the best of luck and look forward to seeing those great flight stands and accessories again soon. I do not know what items he will be releasing first but hopefully he will be back on the forum himself soon with updates - he noted that he has been on the forum for some time.

Keeping fingers crossed and money stacked.

That's great news!

Hope it comes off...
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Huzzah! I hope this comes to fruition! Can we get him to become a 'Drome member so he can see the enthusiasm we have for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Oppiedog View Post
    ... but hopefully he will be back on the forum himself soon with updates - he noted that he has been on the forum for some time.
    Evan is already a Forum member.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Evan is already a Forum member.
    I have got to STOP reading posts too quickly while at work! Thanks!!

Great news. Let's all cross fingers for Evan. I will say "woo" and even add "hoo"

We discussed this briefly at Attack! this weekend. Excellent news indeed. We were wondering whether it would be worth Evan considering having someone in the UK / EU and USA producing items locally under licence to mitigate the cost of shipping from Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    We discussed this briefly at Attack! this weekend. Excellent news indeed. We were wondering whether it would be worth Evan considering having someone in the UK / EU and USA producing items locally under licence to mitigate the cost of shipping from Australia.
    I believe it might... shipping costs US-Europe are already bad and only gonna get worse. I have a friend in the Netherlands who collects Jurassic Park dinosaur figures and without fail her lootcrates' shipping costs are AT LEAST a quarter the value of the figures inside...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I believe it might... shipping costs US-Europe are already bad and only gonna get worse. I have a friend in the Netherlands who collects Jurassic Park dinosaur figures and without fail her lootcrates' shipping costs are AT LEAST a quarter the value of the figures inside...
    I sent a B Deck to the UK a couple of weeks ago, cost me nearly $19 to do so. Shipping is crazy high these days.

Looking at the Rival Sky website, the World Wide shipping cost is a flat rate $20 AUD. A bit much if only picking up a few stands at a time. Depending on what gets released first, I can see picking up 25 or more (need stands for RAF color printed planes!) so the shipping falls in line with a US priority mail flat medium box. Next time I send him an email I will ask about shipping rates.

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    I sent a B Deck to the UK a couple of weeks ago, cost me nearly $19 to do so. Shipping is crazy high these days.
    Seriously, just a flipping maneuver deck? I remember when that would be like $7 to $10 small-packet if you split the deck in half and put it in a small bubblemailer...

Two sheets of decals cost me $19.40 postage from USA to UK

That's just two small pieces of paper in a regular envelope!

Quote Originally Posted by Oppiedog View Post
    Looking at the Rival Sky website, the World Wide shipping cost is a flat rate $20 AUD. A bit much if only picking up a few stands at a time. Depending on what gets released first, I can see picking up 25 or more (need stands for RAF color printed planes!) so the shipping falls in line with a US priority mail flat medium box. Next time I send him an email I will ask about shipping rates.
    Evan always has a flat rate, he used to be able to get five models in the price for us before it went up a band so he should be able to advise what he can get in a package.
    $20 AUD is about $13.60US, so not a bad price, it's quite a bit more for UK/Europe iirc, been a while since I had anything from him.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

A note from Evan that he is currently reviewing shipping options and looking for cheaper costs for shipping out of Australia. Hoping to see so product in the next month but start up is keeping things and a slower pace then he would like.

Sounds potentially promising! I hope he can come up with an effective price point for shipping as I need STUFF!

Fingers crossed for you Evan

Hope something can be worked out. Shipping from Australia to the US is costly and very slow for some reason.

I so wish this can go further and that Evan can find a way to deal with us all at a sensible price for shipping. But right now I feel like one of those folk on e bay - "Watching". Go Evan, go and thanks for whatever you come up with

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    I so wish this can go further and that Evan can find a way to deal with us all at a sensible price for shipping. But right now I feel like one of those folk on e bay - "Watching". Go Evan, go and thanks for whatever you come up with
    What he said!

Thanks for all your efforts, Evan.

I'll add my hopes in here too. I had purchased a number of custom flight stands along with other accessories from Keith, but would like to pick up many more flight stands. I wish Evan all the best for working on bringing the Aerodrome Accessory Line back to life.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

When all of this is in motion, would we go to this site to purchase accessory items or would we go to the Rival Sky's website?

Rival Sky's Website, I'd think.

Evan will be spending FAR more time and attention there, rather than dipping into here every now and then to search for orders.

Rival Sky will be getting the balloons in in October. Evan is working on the Aerodrome Accessories stands now.

Hi all! I'm back!
    Thanks Oppiedog for starting this thread

Here is a summary of what I've been up to. First its been about getting Keiths files converted into the format I'm used to using and checking it all works on my laser cutter. I've been trialing a few different products that I can source locally to make sure I can maintain a consistent standard. Its amazing how much variability there is in a 3mm clear acrylic! Vernier callipers a must. I'm not aiming for extreme accuracy, just a consistent product that matches nicely with Keiths original work. I also bought a stack of Keiths remaining products last year so I've got items to compare with across the range.

Of course, I also have my own ideas on how I would like to adapt the designs, I've designed some new flight consoles in the past and got a few prototypes done and will definitely finish those at some stage.

Before I get stuck into that though I would like to fill the gaps that are most in demand here on the forum though.

It would be very helpful if people could comment here which bases you're wanting to see first?
    Also, would you want an option for bases without altitude dials, and bases with? Perhaps I'll start a poll on that if the following answers don't reveal a clear consensus.

Cheers all! Thanks a lot for your patience on this

Evan

Hi Evan, good to see you back. I am thinkiing that normal altitude pegs would be good to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Hi Evan, good to see you back. I am thinkiing that normal altitude pegs would be good to get.
    Yep, I second that!

Yeah, good to see you back in the circuit, Evan.
    I for one would want an option for bases without altitude dials, and would you be up for making custom bases too ?
    I'd like to look at the potential fourth base size (one and a half 'normal' cards wide) for those planes with a wingspan of approximately 17-18m (such as the Farman F.40 and the Caudron G.4) that was declined by Ares when put forward by Andrea. There is a market for them I think for the types smaller than Gotha, larger than Br14.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I'd like to look at the potential fourth base size (one and a half 'normal' cards wide) for those planes with a wingspan of approximately 17-18m (such as the Farman F.40 and the Caudron G.4) that was declined by Ares when put forward by Andrea. There is a market for them I think for the types smaller than Gotha, larger than Br14.
    I've got a load - Keith produced them back in the day.
    I've got Farman F.40 bases, but haven't painted my Shapeways Farmans yet!

I too would be interested in bases WITHOUT altitude dials; Keith was in the process of sorting these for me when he stepped back and closed the AA store.

I've always regretted not picking up a few of those those propeller measuring sticks.

I agree with Gary/Baxter and Wayne/Biggles-downunder that altitude pegs would be great.

Okay good to see a pattern here re interest in bases without the altitude dials,

Some have mentioned specifically 'pegs' though, are you meaning dials? I think the Ares Pegs are injection moulded, which is something I am working towards but its a while off.

There is a market for them I think for the types smaller than Gotha, larger than Br14
    Re different base sizes, I'm definitely up for that, can you please link me to the right place for the stats on those?

Evan,

Keith did some customised bases for me for a different type of aerial game, smaller than Wings bases but cut to take a Wings fighter peg. Would you be up for that?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    I agree with Gary/Baxter and Wayne/Biggles-downunder that altitude pegs would be great.
    They would indeed, but these were never produced by Keith, so are probably not included in the stock/Masters/files which Aerodrome Accessories passed on to Evan.

As all my aircraft have altitude dials, I would like to continue down the same path Evan.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    As all my aircraft have altitude dials, I would like to continue down the same path Evan.

Rob.
    Hi Rob, I'm deciding if I need to add products to my site that are BOTH with and without altitude dials. Naturally, that doubles the complexity of the listings and could lead to people ordering the wrong item by mistake, but mostly its just more inventory for me to manage. This would not be a problem if I cut orders on demand. (the likely method I use to begin with anyway)

So, I'm brainstorming ways I could sell each base with the option to be with altitude, or without, as 1 item in the store. Instead of etching the 0-16 altitude marks directly on to the base, how would a 1mm thick disk work for you if it was included with every base? This way you could glue it on when you receive it. Or, a sticker?

All laser products ship with their protective coating anyway, and altitude pegs need to be installed, generally glued, so the products already require a little assembly. Would my idea push this over the edge of too much effort required? Is it best to simply offer both options? I'm also considering that including the altitude option keeps things nicer in terms of Ares, as its clearly a different product with the added functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Evan,

Keith did some customised bases for me for a different type of aerial game, smaller than Wings bases but cut to take a Wings fighter peg. Would you be up for that?
    Send me a DM with some more details? I would only be able to consider doing it once the initial project is up and running however

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    They would indeed, but these were never produced by Keith, so are probably not included in the stock/Masters/files which Aerodrome Accessories passed on to Evan.
    Yep, different tools required. Injection moulded. I have the tools to cut the mould, but not the injection moulder itself. Possibly something I will add in the future.

I would think that a sticker would do the job satisfactorily Evan. I would not want to compromise the height of the aircraft by adding any further height to the base. As it is I already add a glued in peg to the bases so that would not cause any extra bother.
    Thanks for your swift response.
    Rob.

Evan, would you be doing bases for Recon planes, with two firing arcs? Wish you well with this venture.

Xen, I would like the plastic disc as an option for altitude. I think that is a good idea.

I would think that a sticker would do the job satisfactorily Evan. I would not want to compromise the height of the aircraft by adding any further height to the base. As it is I already add a glued in peg to the bases so that would not cause any extra bother.
    Rob.
    I could do up a template that would work with existing transparent labels?

Use something like this: How to Customize Aftermarket Airplane Stands
    It will need different sized labels, but the idea is the same.

PS: Quick Draft of a stand label with Altitude numbers:
    Name:  StandLabelAltitude1.png
Views: 512
Size:  16.0 KB
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-24-2023 at 19:00.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Evan, would you be doing bases for Recon planes, with two firing arcs? Wish you well with this venture.
    Yep I will be making a complete range.

Thanks!

Rob.
    Hmm interesting! I would have thought a sticker would be frowned upon as they could be tricky to apply. Hmm the sticker would require a hole the middle too now I think of it.

if I do a 1mm thick 0-16 alt dial, it would have the hole in the centre too so that it centres easily around the glued in altitude peg. So no height difference

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I could do up a template that would work with existing transparent labels?

Use something like this: How to Customize Aftermarket Airplane Stands
    It will need different sized labels, but the idea is the same.

PS: Quick Draft of a stand label with Altitude numbers:
    Name:  StandLabelAltitude1.png
Views: 512
Size:  16.0 KB
    Interesting! I didn't know those labels existed.
    I think, given there are options for people such as this, my goal will need to be as 'finished' a solution a possible to ensure its a viable product financially.
    The goal would be to meet the needs of those who don't have time or interest in much self assembly. So, ill not usestickers.

Thanks very much for this valuable info!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    Hmm interesting! I would have thought a sticker would be frowned upon as they could be tricky to apply. Hmm the sticker would require a hole the middle too now I think of it.

if I do a 1mm thick 0-16 alt dial, it would have the hole in the centre too so that it centres easily around the glued in altitude peg. So no height difference
    I like the idea of a 1mm thick dial that can be added. I have horrible luck with putting decals on the bases and having them look descent. The next question, what kind of dial system would you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post

In that case the dial would do just fine Evan.
    Thanks.

Rob.

Sorry for the lack of updates guys! I've had a few extra delays, but things are moving forward!

These delays are resolved, but I didn't want to update during them before I had solutions.

I actually had to sell my personal laser cutter to pay for half of the cost of a partner visa I'm in the process of applying for so partner can be able to stay in Australia. Been a big few years!
    But despite losing this tool (investments in our relationships are most important hey!) I have another laser cutter I share with others at my studio where I run Rival Sky Games from. BUT I managed to crash that laser and damage it :/ Its now fixed though so I'm back up and running. Its .. been challenging

Drama's aside, my goal is to offer the whole line at once rather than launch it piecemeal.

So! I would love if a couple of people could manually place some orders here via direct message so I can have some specific projects to use as test projects. It will allow me to test shipping costs/labour time etc as well. I would only ask you to pay the shipping! I would be happy to make up to 10 bases for you. WW1 Wings of Glory only. I can do this for 3 interested people.

reply here to grab a spot, then message me with details please

Cheers all

Spot #1

Your Private messges is full up.

Cannot send you a message.
    Last edited by camelbeagle; 12-08-2023 at 17:17.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Aerodrome Accessories Aerodrome Accessories offers official accessories for Wings of Glory.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-17-2013, 13:32
  2. Aerodrome Accessories
    By John B in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-31-2012, 19:28
  3. WGF: Ares to release a new Rules and Accessories pack
    By jbmacek in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 08-30-2012, 06:00
  4. Aerodrome accessories