Ares Games

Thread: Sideslips in E Deck - Kawasaki KI 61 / Yakolev

Default Sideslips in E Deck - Kawasaki KI 61 / Yakolev

So, I was looking through some new decks I got to do some Pacific theater fights, and I came across a weird thing in the E maneuver deck.

The E deck has fours sideslips -- 2 left and 2 right, but one in each direction is a Steep (diamond) and the other is not. Other than the diamond, they are the exact same card.

I can't figure this out in my head, because with programming two cards, you can always pick the non-steep sideslip if the next or previous card is a steep maneuver... and you can always do two sideslips in a row because one is not steep. So how does the second steep sideslip impact the maneuverability of this plane at all?

It seems to me the steep sideslips would have almost zero impact on any programmed maneuver because you can always use the non-steep preferentially. The only rare circumstance it prevents is Steep -> Side Slip -> Side Slip -> Steep. As long as either the first or the last card of that 4-card combo is not steep, you can perform 2 legally. Would that really come up that often?

Slightly unrelated, but it occurred the E deck also appears to be a reasonably good proxy deck for most fighters because you can remove one set of the side-slips (either steep or non-steep) and you have something "close enough" to all the other fast fighters (if you don't have a particular deck).

Quote Originally Posted by RagingOwlbear View Post
    The only rare circumstance it prevents is Steep -> Side Slip -> Side Slip -> Steep. As long as either the first or the last card of that 4-card combo is not steep, you can perform 2 legally. Would that really come up that often?
    It slightly impacts climb rate.
    This situation would occur more often when playing with altitude as you cannot perform 2 sideslips between red cards. I don't know if this makes a big difference, though.

It also limits use of the "stall" card in combination with sideslips.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I think it might be to slow your machine's responses, Marty. If you've just played a steep side slip then you can't stall, Split-S, climb, or, dive if you wanted, or, needed to which might give the opposition a very slight edge.
    There are a couple of decks in WW1 with the same thing, not too much of an issue until you get wounded, then it messes up your shooting, but you do really have to focus on what moves you're playing.
    Last edited by flash; 12-20-2023 at 08:23.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

unbelievable, I was going to ask the same thing. nothing changes in the interaction with stall or other steep maneuvers, precisely because you can always use the non-steep sideslip.

the only difference seems to be in the fact that you cannot use two identical sideslips (one steep, the other non-steep), between two climbs/dives (one at the beginning, one at the end).

But it really seems like an insignificant (and strange) difference.

Quote Originally Posted by EmanueleMaggio View Post
    nothing changes in the interaction with stall or other steep maneuvers, precisely because you can always use the non-steep sideslip.
    You are absolutely right if you want to play only 1 side-slip. If you want to play a sequence of 2 side-slips, then one of them must be steep, so you will have some limitation. Will that limitation be a game changer against an opponent that has 2 sets of non-steep side-slips? Maybe, maybe not, I dont know.

Similar Missions

1. Re.2001 Sideslips
    By Nachtschwärmer in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-19-2016, 03:16
  2. Kawasaki KI-100 Goshikisen
    By Dark Horse in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-25-2013, 13:44
  3. Sideslips
    By Kaiser in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 7