Ares Games

Thread: Repainting an already painted Shapeways mini

Default Repainting an already painted Shapeways mini

My apologies if the answer is already out there but, if it is, I couldn’t find it!

I have a Shapeways mini that I would like to repaint and would like to strip the model right back first. What method has anyone successfully used that doesn’t attack the original surface? I’m worried that anything too aggressive might damage the surface.

Hey Wayne,

I'm not an experienced stripper apart from a few larger models but my thoughts:

1. Are you sure you need to? With all the prep work that usually was required to smooth out the finish could you just leave it? You may be able to use foam sanding sticks to lightly smooth out the decals or rough edges, rinse, then prime it again and go.

2. If you need to strip it back, I'd try something like CitriStrip or other citrus-based non-acetone product and only put it on for a few minutes at a time so you can monitor it.

Greetings Wayne - from your post it looks like you are really on the mend. Congrats !

Chris, sanding back sounds like a good first try - I hadn’t even considered that!

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    Greetings Wayne - from your post it looks like you are really on the mend. Congrats !
    Thanks Craig, yes incremental improvements each day!

Dettol disinfectant works, if you have it over there. That's the original industrial strength one, not the namby-pamby kitchen cleaner one.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Good to hear from you again Wayne. Keep on getting better

I just came across an article that mentions using Simple Green. I actually have some so I am going to try it on a Siemens-Schuckert D.I that I buggered the color scheme

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    I just came across an article that mentions using Simple Green. I actually have some so I am going to try it on a Siemens-Schuckert D.I that I buggered the color scheme
    Simple Green works. Let the model soak a couple of hours, then use a paint brush to remove all the old paint. I have used Simple Green to strip paint from plastic models. It works.

I have never used Simply Green before to strip paint off miniatures. I have only used Dettol which is very good, but stinks to high heaven. I did buy some Bio Strip via Element Games. And it does work rather well on metal and plastic miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
    Simple Green works. Let the model soak a couple of hours, then use a paint brush to remove all the old paint. I have used Simple Green to strip paint from plastic models. It works.
    Thanks for confirming, Larry!

Similar Missions

1. WGF Nine new Shapeways painted
    By Wombat in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-11-2012, 14:10
  2. A Painted Shapeways Siemens-Schuckert D.I
    By jbmacek in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-01-2012, 17:37
  3. Shapeways Halberstadt D.II Painted up!
    By gully_raker in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-09-2011, 14:54
  4. Basic Painted Mini's
    By Linz in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 17:59
  5. Bit the bullet and painted the Shapeways unpolished Dr1
    By Guntruck in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-28-2011, 16:58