Ares Games

Thread: AEG G.IV Tunnel Gun

Default AEG G.IV Tunnel Gun

Looking at the AEG G.IV and doing some research I found that some models had provisons for a "Tunnel Gun."

The article I read was as follows:

...and provision is made for mounting a third or for transferring one of the others on the floor of the rear cockpit, so that it can fire backwards and under the tail of the machine...

I saw one of RAF Colored prints, and it looks like it has the "Tunnel" gun modeled. So therefore, I would think that if one wanted to add one as an option rule they could.

My questions are as follows:

What would be the rules to have the rear gunner switch from his "Main" gun to his "Tunnel" gun.

What would be the firing arc of the Tunnel gun. Would it be the whole back of the base like on the American Breguet BR14A2?

Finally, I am assuming from the cards I see made for this plane it would use the Small Bomber Base like a Caproni or Gotha.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Both of my RAF G.IV have the "tunnel gun".
    I hadn't noticed it ...

my reverisco aegs just got a big square hole in the floor.

Thanks Chris, I will give that thread a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Both of my RAF G.IV have the "tunnel gun".
    I hadn't noticed it ...
    Which is why I need a reminder on the card as to the rule. I also like 68 x 66 base for planes ~16 - 20 meters wingspan. I'm not great at card design but here's my hack:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AEGG4-white7-card 68 66.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	325914
    Last edited by malachi; 05-02-2023 at 08:18.

Going with the Official Ares Games Gotha G.V rules, the tunnel gun isn't on the Plane Card. It is mentioned in the "Basic Rules for Multi-Engined Planes" pamphlet included in the box, though.

Link-> www.aresgames.eu - Downloads - WW1 Wings of Glory Special Packs (English Rules)

"If you use altitude optional rules, the Gotha G.V blind spot only applies when firing at targets at the same altitude. The blind spot is ignored if the target is at a highter altitude (because the taile does not block the line of sight in this case) or at lower altitude (because of the 'tunnel' the Gotha had in the fuselage that allowed the rear gunner to fire downward)."
    I can't find the drawings of the mounting, but the same gun was used for all shooting in the rear position, depending on the time of use. Early models of the Gotha tunnel were small and used a separate gun, later ones used a larger tunnel, with one gun.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Point taken - I just find it useful to have the info on the plane card rather than on a pamphlet stored away in the box. The AEG G.IV trapdoor is different than the Gotha tunnel since it had two rear MGs so I tried to find language that would remind me.

Similar Missions

1. Tunnel Machine Gun (Breguet BR14)
    By Derrick in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-22-2020, 08:53
  2. WWI Tunnel
    By Canuck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 08:18