Ares Games

Thread: Immelmann and shooting

Default Immelmann and shooting

Whether the in-game Immelmann card represents a WWI maneuver that looked like the current acrobatics called Immelmann, stall turn (the French call the latter renversement and already used it in WWI) and/or whatever, enabling or not to gain altitude, it was most likely a maneuver during which the pilot was unable to shoot and was a prey with no energy/speed for a certain duration of it.

Has anyone tested the game with the planes always unable to shoot during the phase of an Immelmann card?

In WGS I always disallow shooting after reversal card. I don't really mind whether this is more or less "realistic". This makes the Immelmann turn less powerful, which I like. Additionally, for heavy fighters I extend the sequence to 4 cards.

In WGF I have less experience, mostly in solo mode. Here I keep the official rule as is.

I'm always very careful in taking away from pilots opportunities to blast away with their machine guns! But I see your point - nevertheless I personally prefer to use RAW.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Piaf View Post
    ..Has anyone tested the game with the planes always unable to shoot during the phase of an Immelmann card?
    No but in OTT I play it as limited to short range only, as to me they are mostly nose down; it has cost me a few shots and I frequently get 'lit up' by the opposition who have no such range restriction.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    No but in OTT I play it as limited to short range only, as to me they are mostly nose down; it has cost me a few shots and I frequently get 'lit up' by the opposition who have no such range restriction.
    I like this idea (well, not getting shot up of course).

I would think the same might apply for a split S?

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    I like this idea (well, not getting shot up of course). I would think the same might apply for a split S?
    I don't apply it to the split-S as that finishes on a level rather than nose down attitude, as I look at it anyway.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Shooting down bombers
    By 2nd Dragoon in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-23-2018, 11:19
  2. Shooting each other down same turn
    By flyingryno in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-07-2013, 15:25
  3. Shooting deck help
    By grumpybear in forum Hobby Room