Ares Games

Thread: Largest battle?

Default Largest battle?

Just out of curiosity, what is the largest battle you have flown in?

How many planes?

What was it like?

At what point do you feel there are too many planes, (ie it effects game play enjoyment or mechanic?)

With respect,
    Andrew Von H.

One time I played with my brother a big battle with two planes for each type of aircraft included in the game (we played with cards) We were able to finish only some turns it was too complicated!

One time I challenged two of my friends. They both fought with two fighters and one two-seater, and I had... ehm... SIX Axis fighters, one balloon and some AA guns. Six versus six, and with altitude rules, of course. It REALLY was messy and difficult, and the beers and long-drinks didn't made it easier. The area, a table from my kitchen, was really too small, about the size of one-and-half official mat.

I think the maximum amount of planes per player is about 4.
    I really prefer altitude rules.
    The two mats are good for 10-15 planes.
    The gaming is best when you don't enjoy "drinks of adults" same time.

Colmarekblack

My largest dog fight was at the Time of Aces tournament. 12 planes including a bomber on either side.

Very unwieldy and absolute chaos with people crowding around the board to move there aicraft. But once planes started falling it got less congested and abit more fun.

I had 15 people playing in a couple of my Knights of the Air campaign last year. Each person only flew one plane and we ended up putting 7 people on one 4x6 table and 8 on another. It went pretty smooth. All of the games I'm planning on running at Origins have a max of 20 players, all on the same 5x8 table. It'll be fun to see how that goes. We are also going to make a run at the WoW record for largest game.

The largest my group has played was 6 airplanes and it was a bit of a headache as everyone was aggressive and flew right at each other.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marts
    Sorties Flown

Our group campaign regularly features 8-9 planes. We use altitude rules, the players all prefer it. The movement can get a bit crowded (we use the east and west mats together) but it flows better when players move the plane nearest to them rather than their own every time.

We average about 8 players (1 plane each). We have played with 13 in one session. Went well... no major issues, as everyone assisted others in moving aircraft which may have been out of reach. We play with altitude rules.

The most players that I have ever crammed around my table is only eight, but that was enough for an old Major to keep an eye on for an evening. I could not supply beer to many more than that anyway.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hunter and I have played a mission with 4 planes each (8 total). That's pretty much the max we can do with just the two of us. Even then, we had to eliminate altitude rules and didn't use any AA guns or the like in order to keep it managable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
    One time I challenged two of my friends. They both fought with two fighters and one two-seater, and I had... ehm... SIX Axis fighters, one balloon and some AA guns. Six versus six, and with altitude rules, of course. It REALLY was messy and difficult, and the beers and long-drinks didn't made it easier. ...The gaming is best when you don't enjoy "drinks of adults" same time.
    Most we played with were 4 fighters and 2 two-seaters. Each side had 3 planes and we used the official mats. Anything more and it gets pretty crowded and complicated.

RE: the "drinks of adults"...LOL ... I thought that was a prerequisite to playing the game!! Since we enjoy it for the social aspect vs the mortal combat end of it, I might be alone here??

Our largest has been 10 players with one plane each. I may try 12 someday.

As for alcohol... it makes for a nice addition to the game, in my opinion. It isn't a must, but some wine and cheese or beer and chips makes for a pleasant evening.

What was it like? Not too hectic. Shoot, I can think of many games that would never be able to handle that many players without it turning into chaos, or taking 10 times as long to play. Our ten player game, which included 5 neophytes, was really a total success, with each sortie taking only a little over an hour. I really believe the next will be even smoother.

As for alcohol... it makes for a nice addition to the game, in my opinion. It isn't a must, but some wine and cheese or beer and chips makes for a pleasant evening.
    I totally agree as we hold our Valley Flight meetings upstairs at an RAF Association pub and a couple of pints, a few 'nibbles' (crisps, scotch eggs, etc) and the company of good friends having a game is a real winner every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
    The gaming is best when you don't enjoy "drinks of adults" same time.
    Ah, indeed, after I considered it again I have to make a correction: of course it is funnier with couple of drinks - you can always take one or two. But when you have plenty of things to do, it is difficult: I meant that the gaming may become a little bit harder when you're drinking and in the same time you have to plan maneuvers for six planes and firing orders for the AA.
    But when there are more players and fewer planes per player, then the snacks and drinks are a perfect addition. And as Shaun said, "the company of good friends having a game is a real winner every time" - Amen!

Oh, yes, please, BY ALL MEANS drink and play... the drunker you get, the better I get! *Palpatine cackle* I'll do my drinking AFTER... in celebration of my victory.

OTOH, getting buzzed does sound like a really good way to simulate the psychological effects of "Pilot Wounded"... beats heck out of some of the stuff that a friend used to do in some of his most advanced pistolcraft classes: inject the students with epinephrine or drain a pint of blood, things like that, all under the supervision of medical professionals.

Thumbs up Largest battle!

I counted the planes we had up last Saturday at the convention! We had three German fighters, three American fighters and four American bombers. The bombers pilots flew two planes each. That is a total of eight. Sorry i was doing the Flak nine!! We had no troubles and that was with two novice players!

Rich

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/alb...achmentid=8994

Similar Missions

1. Battle Size
    By CappyTom in forum Polls
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 05-02-2022, 12:41
  2. Battle of Britain
    By fox in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-21-2013, 09:02
  3. Battle songs?