Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MENTAL HEALTH & WELLBEING : CHALLENGES & SUPPORT

Dogs are great...cats not so much (ducking from the cat lovers out there)...sorry for the loss of a great companion, Chris.

Sorry for your loss! It is so hard emotionally when you loose your furry friend. I still have very fond memories of my last Boxer. I really miss that dog.

sorry for the loss of your furry family member. they always take a piece of our heart with them.

Pets are a good way of keeping you mentally occupied. I walk my Boston (Border Collie) every day and he knows when it is time to go out. He is our fifth or sixth Border Collie and they all have had a special place in our hearts. Bossy (Boston) is a bit different. He is short haired, does not like water and is a bit autistic. He is also a "talker" and carries on a conversation with visitors such as our gaming group when they come over.

As we near the end of another month, how is everyone getting on?
    Nice to see so many folk enjoying various gatherings around the world but conscious there’s a lot of people we haven’t seen.
    So to those people I say, drop us a line, say hello and let us know if you need any help.
    We are all friends on here and friends look out for each other.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Well my life has started to turn a corner now. I am now working for a different company. Who are starting to give me more hours, and allowing me to join the other lads working on some of the bigger contracts. In contrast the former company that I worked for didn't seem able to expend on the hours that I was given. I kept asking them for more work to bolster my wage packet. And every time I asked I received the same response of we haven't forgotten about you Mark. After two months of this I was getting pretty cross. Then I decided to find employment elsewhere and I am glad that I have. Because this firm is a family run business, and have made me feel at home. My regrets are that I should of found employment sooner. And I would not have put myself through the situation that my life wasn't worth it. Coming back to the forum has also helped my healing journey too, because Chris is right about how we blokes always seem to bury our heads in the sand if there is a problem. I am guilty of doing that, because I was too proud and stubborn to realise I was making a mistake. Now I am free of the darkness that was clouding my mental health I am glad that I took the step to tell you all about my own mental health struggles. And I am so very grateful in having a fantastic wife and children, plus you guys to make me see that I am not a failure. And my life is worth it.

Thanks for the great news in your update Mark.

Glad to hear things are turning in the direction you need them to, Mark.

Very positive Mark. Good to hear you're pulling through what has obviously been a very tough time. Always good to know you have loving folk around you to give support too. All the best for the new work!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Very positive Mark. Good to hear you're pulling through what has obviously been a very tough time. Always good to know you have loving folk around you to give support too. All the best for the new work!
    Thank you Mike. My wife is not only my soul mate, she is my rock too. She has noticed the difference in me because I am enjoying work. And both of our children have also helped in their own way too. Last Saturday I watched Star Wars A New Hope with my Daughter Zoe. She really liked the film which made me so proud of her. I did enjoy the Daddy Daughter bounding session over a film franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Glad to hear things are turning in the direction you need them to, Mark.
    Thank you Sam. It has been a rough road that I was on. But I am getting myself back on the right direction. I am also enjoying my hobby again, as I have plans for a few repaints and some games. So the outlook is very positive.

Chris, positive vibes heading your way. I know how gaping that animal-shaped hole can be. I take solace that my furry, four-legged family member was spoiled and loved, as well as having providing great, fun memories.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Mark,
    My Better Half is not just a spouse, as well. My feeling is that I got a better partner than she did. She has been a rock to me too.

And time spent with all members of your family is to be cherished.

Also, glad to hear you found a better work environment. Tough to move to an unknown, but great when you find a supportive team.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Mark,
    My Better Half is not just a spouse, as well. My feeling is that I got a better partner than she did. She has been a rock to me too.

And time spent with all members of your family is to be cherished.

Also, glad to hear you found a better work environment. Tough to move to an unknown, but great when you find a supportive team.
    Thank you Mike. My enthusiasm for my new job continues.

Very true chaps, our better halves are the real movers and groovers behind the scenes, and i always wonder why Mrs K. took me on never mind putt up with me for 50 years. We can only marvel at our good fortune and make the most of it whilst we can.
    Great to hear things are looking up Mark.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thank you Rob. I now have a new prospective on life, and I am so lucky to be married to Catherine. Who has been fantastic in helping me regain my confidence.

Glad to hear that life is improving for you Mike. Long may it continue. You're right about blokes not talking about things, but until we do it don't get better. Anyway good for you

Great conversations folks, keep talking, keep helping each other. We may be on different continents but we face similar challenges and those shared experiences can only help us all.

I've been a little preoccupied recently.
    3 weeks ago, my older sister had to be taken to hospital by emergency ambulance, in a critical condition.
    36 hrs after admission, she passed away. Not one, but two lethal illnesses that came on suddenly. 72 is a bit young.
    The whole family in Australia were there, but her daughter, my niece, is not taking it well. She was her carer and had to call the paramedics.
    She has her own mental health issues. We're doing what we can to keep her going until the mental health professionals can step in tomorrow
    So June 2023 was not a good month.

Sorry to read this, Zoe.
    I hope your niece gets the help she needs.
    Stay strong yourself, too.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Sorry to read this, Zoe.
    I lost my older brother back in 2010, rather suddenly as well.
    Hoping your niece gets the encouragement she needs.
    Hang in there - positive vibes heading south ....

Very sorry to hear this news Zoe.
    Eileen lost her brother last year and her middle sister earlier this year.
    It is never a good age to lose a loved one, so we must do uor best to cherish the ones still with us.
    I hope that your neice recovers soon. I know she is in good hands.
    Look after yourself as well.
    You are all in my prayers.
    Rob.

Sorry to hear your news Zoe. Hang in there. Best wishes for your niece

I am so sorry to hear your sad news Zoe. It is never easy to lose a loved one. I lost both of my parents just after I got married. It was very tough. Lucky for me I had my amazing wife Catherine and friends to support me through my grief. Your niece has a brilliant aunty in you Zoe. And with the rest of your family rallying around her she will in time recover from this. Sending hugs and prayers down under

Zoe - so sorry to hear the news of your sister & niece. Early in our marriage, my wife lost her mother (56 years old). She was terribly depressed but was brave enough to get professional counseling. It took time but my wife did get better. Wishing the same for your niece.

Sorry to hear this Zoe. Life can sure be cruel at times. Hoping your niece can get the help she needs. Hold on to all the good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    Zoe - so sorry to hear the news of your sister & niece. Early in our marriage, my wife lost her mother (56 years old). She was terribly depressed but was brave enough to get professional counseling. It took time but my wife did get better. Wishing the same for your niece.
    That is what is happening. She now therapist appointments per week.
    Glad your wife recovered.

Sorry to hear of your loss Zoe. A tough time for any family, particularly if unexpected.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Sorry for your loss and the ongoing problems your neice is facing Zoe. Prayers and positive thoughts to you and your family.

Having dealt with traumatic situations over the years, I have seen the effects that they can have on the individuals concerned their families and friends. Dependent upon the situation there is normally a lot of support available not only from family and friends but also the NHS and other organisations.
    Unfortunately this was not always the case particularly for mental health problems, which historically tended to be ’swept under the carpet’ and kept within the family and immediate friends.
    Thankfully that is not the case today, as can be seen in this post.

Well done Chris for highlighting this subject matter and bringing it out into the open.
    Additionally well done to all the members of this group who have contributed to this post, something that in some cases has been a brave and rather difficult thing to do.

As a new member to this group it proves to me what a truly good bunch of people you are, this is clearly illustrated by the fact that you are all prepared to embrace such a subject matter in such a positive way. You should all be very proud of yourselves!

A bit late for some of this conversation, but, Zoe so sorry to hear your news I wish you the best you can be at this time, when its a close relation it is always worse, I hope your niece is getting over things with the help she is receiving.
    I understand how hard things are when there is nothing you can do. My father is terminally ill, he is hanging on but is literally a shadow of his former self, I have been keeping his sister informed of the situation as she lives in Newcastle….. Newcastle NSW, so every time she sees me call she fears the worse, but better to keep her informed than not.
    I hope things improve for you soon

Our thoughts are with you Chris. If there’s anything we can do...

Not to mention any names but just to say a big thank you to those who have been keeping an eye open for their friends on this forum, a PM here, an email there, and the odd phone call... they all make a massive difference and show what a kind and thoughtful community we have on here. Keep up the good works folks.

If you haven’t heard from someone in a while; just reach out and say hello.

Cheers

If we do this, and bearing in mind the venue, can I suggest we concentrate on things like trench strafing, balloon busting and other army supporting activities? I have balloons, a Sopwith Salamander and some German ground attack aircraft

Wrong thread I think Dave, unless you are advocating trench strafing as a well-being activity...

Dammit, should have been the army Air Corps Museum one. Apologies

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Wrong thread I think Dave, unless you are advocating trench strafing as a well-being activity...
    Well, it makes me feel better

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Well, it makes me feel better

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    ..(Sh)It happens to everyone from time to time and I feel that my next turn in the barrel will be along sooner rather than later as I'm advised I require some major neck surgery in the near future - well as soon as the NHS can manage it anyway - how that will effect things in the future only time will tell. It's cast a shadow, can't say it hasn't but I'm hopeful it will solve some issues I've been having and I'll be back in action not too long after it's done, whenever that may be.
    Whenever turned out to be February 2024 in the end, surgery went well and was successful, I'm told, now well on the road to recovery and just wanted to mention the chaps who play Wings at Entoyment who welcomed me back to the fray last week; with a special thanks to Gary (Hu Rhu) who has been good enough to give me a lift on Wednesday nights to facilitate my return and also took on organising the next Flight Club meet. No good deed goes unpunished !
    Their continued support has certainly helped with my recovery.

Good to hear that the five of you are recovering well Dave.
    Best wishes from Rob, Kyte and Bligh.

Nice one chaps

Glad to hear the recovery is going well. Keep it going

Dave, I didn't know you had surgery. Really glad to hear you are doing better. If you lived closer I'd offer to bring the kids and mow your lawn for you!
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasChuck View Post
    Dave, I didn't know you had surgery. Really glad to hear you are doing better. If you lived closer I'd offer to bring the kids and mow your lawn for you!
    I'd have taken that offer too, Chuck, but with senior managements help we've manged so far.
    Saw the surgeon yesterday, six weeks post op, and things are on track.
    Early days though; time will tell if some of the damage I'd taken is permanent or not, so fingers crossed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. A man's walk for mental health
    By Jager in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-30-2021, 07:20
  2. Our Health Workers.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-03-2020, 09:06
  3. General Modelling Challenges