Ares Games

Thread: The Dr. I prevails over the Brisfit!

Default The Dr. I prevails over the Brisfit!

Belligerents: Me (piloting Dr. I; my favorite aircraft) vs. my girlfriend (piloting Bristol F.2B Fighter [A/B])

Rules: Basic; tail-gunner can't fire before, during, or after Immelmann; Brisfit can fire wing-mounted MG (B damage) upon overlapping planes (counts as a short-range attack), if it does a non-Steep maneuver within that same phase; the Brisfit's tail-gunner is blind when his target is within half a ruler's distance while he can only draw line of fire to his target through the rear edge of his base.

Important: damage decks were not used; damage was dealt as follows: B close/far: 1/2, A close/far: 2/3. Her and I both enjoy eliminating the element of chance.

In her defense, it was only her fourth game, and for some reason, she relied heavily upon her right turn!

(I did, however, allow her to see my deck before the game)
    Last edited by Killer Moth; 02-23-2022 at 13:37.

Nice AAR. How about some photos next time?

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Moth View Post
    Brisfit can fire wing-mounted MG (B damage) upon overlapping planes (counts as a long-range attack), if it does a non-Steep maneuver within that same phase;
    I have not heard this rule before. Did you invent it?

It's from a card that comes with the RAF SE.5a, among others:

Higher Machine Gun SE.5A: The machine gun on the upper wing of the SE.5a can be used to fire upward. If the airplane does not execute a steep maneuver, it can fire at an airplane overlapping its base, if part of the target base is in the firing arc. The shot is considered to be short range. In this case, the airplane fires using B damage instead of A.

I made a mistake in my previous post; we counted it as short range, not far.

As for taking photos, the surface that we played on was a couple of small, shiny, adjoining tables at a mall's food court—not particularly sexy! But, I do regret taking pics of some of the sweet shots that I pulled off. Next time.

Also, next time that we do this match-up, we may have to try altitude rules. The Dr. I has a climb-rate advantage, but the Brisfit has the ring-mounted tail-gun; providing it with a firing arc reaching the forward firing gun, against planes at a higher altitude! We may possibly make the over-dive reduce damage by 1...

Sounds like a blast!

You do need to drop the "Higher Machine Gun" rule for the Bristol, though.
    The gun was not on a Foster mount - it was fixed to fire forward.

It's my pet-hate plane from 'Ares'; historically, the pilot, Headlam, "invented" the mounting on his airfield, fitted it, then flew the plane with the extra gun just one time!
    The mounting interfered with the compass, which was located in the trailing edge of the top wing centre section, so it malfunctioned, and he almost didn't find his way home!

Having returned to his airfield, he dismounted the gun and threw the mounting "on the rubbish heap".
    No other Bristol F.2B ever carried overwing guns on the Western Front.

'Ares' never researched this; they just saw the Profile and produced the model, so that 1/3 of all the Bristol F.2B minis have it...
    Instead, it should only be used by ONE plane, on just ONE mission.

<<...and breathe...>>
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

No kidding! Well, that'll save me from getting blasted by two guns, when we overlap with the Altitude rules!

Similar Missions

1. Brisfit Close up!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-23-2018, 16:46
  2. Shapeways Brisfit?
    By gully_raker in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 17:40
  3. DH4 and Brisfit
    By sidewinder81777 in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 7