Ares Games

Thread: "Speeds" in millimeters from center point to center point

Default "Speeds" in millimeters from center point to center point

Vacca Rabite's question about the speed of bombers got me to thinking, and since the kids have off today and I have to stay home with them, I might as well put the time to good use, by measuring the center point to center point "speeds" of the planes in my collection.

Scouts
    • A 127
    • B 115
    • C 115.5
    • D 103
    • G 96
    • I 102
    • J 103
    • M 114.5
    • N 128
    • O 115
    • P 96
    • Q 115

Two-seaters
    • K 102.5

Bombers, etc
    • XA 88.9
    • XB 94.5
    • XC 94.7
    • XD 90
    • XD 89

If don't know if anyone here has done this before. I tried doing a search to locate a previous thread, but couldn't find one.

These numbers are the result of measuring twice, from red (or blue) point, of a machine executing a straight. Having worked in printing related industries all my life, I recognize some variation might turn up as a result of either the cutting of cards, printing, et cetera. This, I expect, is why I came up with two different numbers for the XD deck. My Caproni CA.3 measured out at 89mm, whereas the other XDs came out at 90mm.

I think it is safe to say that, in all cases, the scouts are faster than the bombers.

Feel free to add onto this thread with planes you have that aren't in my collection.

Rather obvious patterns forming there....

Interesting.

Thanks for putting that together John.

I did the same kind of thing awhile ago (posted in a thread about Dr1 speeds). I had added the length of the blue line on the maneuver card to the length of the airplane card. The cards are 67mm long so:

A, N deck = 67mm + 61mm = 128mm (100%)
    B,C,F,H,L,M,O,S = 67mm + 48mm = 115mm (90%)
    D,I.J.K.Q = 67mm + 35mm = 102mm (80%)
    E,G.P,R = 67mm + 29mm = 96mm (75%)
    XD = 67mm + 23mm = 90mm (70%)

The larger Giant cards are 82mm long so:

XA = 82mm + 7mm = 89mm (70%)
    XB,XC = 82mm + 13mm = 95mm (74%)

Dom S had provided the "speed bands" that those cards are meant to represent:

km/h____decks
    201+______A, N
    181-200___B,C,F,H,L,M,O,S
    161-180___D,I,J,K,Q
    141-160___E,G,P,R,XB,XC
    121-140___XA,XD

These planes are remarkably slow. It is always suprising to me exactly how SLOW even the fast fighters were. To think that the major differences between the fighter of WWI and the fighter of WWII were only developed within the last 5 or 10 years before WWII.

Zach

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    I did the same kind of thing awhile ago (posted in a thread about Dr1 speeds).
    Ah, I knew someone had to have done it in the past. I just wasn't able to find it using the site's search engine. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by vacca rabite View Post
    These planes are remarkably slow. It is always suprising to me exactly how SLOW even the fast fighters were. To think that the major differences between the fighter of WWI and the fighter of WWII were only developed within the last 5 or 10 years before WWII.
    And mostly by civilians.... >:)

A 127
    B 115
    C 115.5
    D 103
    G 96
    I 102
    J 103
    M 114.5
    N 128
    O 115
    P 96
    Q 115
    Two-seaters
    K 102.5
    Bombers, etc
    XA 88.9
    XB 94.5
    XC 94.7
    XD 90
    XD 89
    Is if my imagination but do these measurements roughly equate to aircraft speeds in mph. Eg. 127 mph equals 203 km/h. Is this a quick way of determining an aircrafts movement stats? Linz

I believe that is what Rocky is alluding to in his message above. I haven't checked, since my amount of source material for this period (as well as my general knowledge of) is woefully lacking, but it sounds plausible to me.

I cant even see a MM let alone measure one. Nice stuff guys.

Thanks for this great post!
    When the clutch is engaged on the brain, i forget to add the card or miniature base to the stall manuever and end up over shooting my target.

Smile

Good work all.
    I had it in mind to measure, but just hadn't gotten around to doing it.

This is very handy for a few reasons....

Since there are 10mm in 1cm, as you design your missions you can think about the relative sizes needed to accommodate various types of aircraft given their airspeed. For example, a scenario where pilots start on the West side of the map and Fly East only to be ambushed from the North or South edges. You'd want to know how quickly those intercepters would be in getting into the action so that it's not too late.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    I cant even see a MM let alone measure one. Nice stuff guys.
    LOL...amen Darrell...all-in-all this was an interesting thread.

I did this a while back and came up with:

5" for fastest (A, N)
    4 1/2" for next fastest (B, C)
    4 1/8" for next fastest (D, I, J)
    3 7/8" for slowest scouts (G, P)

I didn't do the bombers.

I just calculated that a 1/144 Albatros D.III would fly with 33.8cm/sec
    The picture on the card it ca half the size of the model. So the card would "fly" with 16.9cm/sec.
    Now looking up the traveling distance of the J deck a complete turn (3 manouvers) would last ca 1.8 seconds in "real time"
    Last edited by Kaiser; 03-23-2011 at 19:24.

Thank you for these.

And we said to ourselves in school that we would never use that kind of math. How wrong we were!!! Interesting work guys, it gets us thinking!!!

I never cease to marvel at the work of you mathmagicians. I have never been able to deal with concepts like this. it is astounding to me how you have the ability to look at these abstract ideas and pull a rabbit out of the hat. Well done chaps. Keep us all thinking. I have just been flying and shooting without giving much thought to the difference in slight errors acumulating over the whole game. I just assumed that it was all accounted for in the length of arrows on the cards.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 08:46
  2. Ok, I'm bidding on a "USED" copy of Wings of War WWI: Famous Aces
    By Captain Knowitall in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-05-2010, 23:12
  3. "Climb" and "dive" cards?
    By rosscoc87 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2010, 08:41
  4. Point system?