Ares Games

Thread: Skytrex bombers built and painted!

Default Skytrex bombers built and painted!

My Gotha and Hadley Page are built and painted. No decals yet. I am still touching up the Gotha, as i am not thrilled with it, but its looks better then the pre-painted IHMO. But I know I can make it look better. It was the first mini I have painted in probably 3 years... Way out of practice!
    The landing gear on the HP was HELL. I also omitted the center struts on the Gotha. There was no way I could find to get them right, as no holes were indicated on the body or engines. The wing is very stable with just the 12 main struts in place.

Bases are temps until Hajj gets the bomber bases up, but I have a flight tomorrow with jbmacek, and I wanted the bombers ready to go.

Zach

The stand, if you are interested, are 3/8 inch plywood. I color copied a pic of the plane card on some good gloss paper, glued it to the plywood, and spent a few seconds with an air grinder and an 80 grit sanding disk to put a quick contour on them. The ply is a little larger then the card.

The riser is 3/16 dowel rod, painted blue. Easy. I drilled into the bottom of the model to mount it. They are very stable on this mount. I know I could have done a little better on the bases, but they are functional. I can improve them later if I need too.

Zach

They look great! I can't wait to either shoot at them or get shot at in them during tomorrow's game!

Amazing! Pure awesomeness! I'll never know how you master repainters do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aero825 View Post
    Amazing! Pure awesomeness! I'll never know how you master repainters do it.
    Well sonny, back in the old days figures were sold unpainted. We had to paint them before we could play in store. Up hill. In the snow. Barefoot. And we liked it that way.

Joking aside, pick up a few miniatures, a can of spray primer (either Games Workshop or Army Painter - not Krylon or Rustoleum) and some paint (GW, Citadel, or Army Painter) and give it a try. Old Games Workshop games like Necromunda or Mordhiem are easy and very fun, and you only need 6-12 guys per side to have a respectable match - and I think you can find the rules online. Other games like Flames of War use larger forces. Once you have painted a few minis, you will find that the ones that you have done look nicer then the pre-painted ones.

I have a bag of WoW planes from Reviresco that need building and painting. Then, I'll go to work on repainting my Nexes WoW minis. Chances are I'll spend more time modeling then actually playing the game. For me, thats just part of the hobby. :-)

Zach

Well sonny, back in the old days figures were sold unpainted. We had to paint them before we could play in store. Up hill. In the snow. Barefoot.
    Barefoot? Luxury!

they are looking good

They do look good. That Gotha looks small in those pics though. lol I flew against one for the first time this week. It is really quite a beat on the table. I took a lone Camel against it and manage to deal the last two points of damage to it on the last round of maneuvers before it left the table after bombing two targets. Talk about down to the wire!

They look great for temps Zach.
    You have all the design acumen that I lack. I ordered some pre cut acrylic for my bases to tide me over until the Col's are ready. I expected to take delivery before my game with Stormkahn on Wednesday. I felt that ten days was long enough as they were charging Ł10 for delivery. That is usually enough to ensure next day arrival. Guess what? The day after the sortie they turned up. I'll post them up next week,for you to have a look at, once they are finished. I never even considered the fact that I could have made temps for the game. Doh!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Nice ones Zach, really well done. Bases too, we all look to be in the same boat base wise. Roll on Feb when the Cols Gotha bases could be available

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark Duncan
    Sorties Flown

I go to Wal-Mart and pick up their $.99 spray paint, albeit black or white and use it for primer. It is just as effective and a fraction of the cost of 'NAME' primer. Everything else I airbrush. I use an Iwata internal mix and a compressor that puts out about 25psi.

I started modeling in 1968

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Baron View Post
    I go to Wal-Mart and pick up their $.99 spray paint, albeit black or white and use it for primer. It is just as effective and a fraction of the cost of 'NAME' primer. Everything else I airbrush. I use an Iwata internal mix and a compressor that puts out about 25psi.

I started modeling in 1968
    Cool... someone I can hit up with all my airbrush questions now!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Those bombers look great. When I get round to building & painting mine I will post up a few pics for all to see.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark Duncan
    Sorties Flown

If its gone wrong with an airbrush, I've done it. Trust me, the most important piece is the gun itself. I have had Paasche, Badger, Testors, and settled on an Iwata. It is as superior a piece of equipment as a Bugatti is to a Volkswagen.

Similar Missions

1. What pre-painted options are out there?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 02-09-2018, 14:42
  2. Skytrex Red Baron planes for sale (built)
    By baztaylor in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2010, 05:21
  3. Skytrex Gotha bombers
    By Khargor in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 09:28
  4. Newly painted
    By David Kuijt in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-18-2010, 08:19
  5. Blue painted Fokker Dr1