Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wings of War Aerodrome is going to Origins 2011

Default Wings of War Aerodrome is going to Origins 2011

That's right, the Aerodrome is going to Origins 2011, sponsored by our very own Ohio Squadron "Buckeye Gamers in Flight". We will be running Wings of War events through out the convention.

The dates are June 22nd -26th in Columbus OH.

Any of our members that plan on going to Origins this year should contact CappyTom via PM so that you can be added to their list of club members.

The Half Price discount for Game Club members applies only to a 4 day Badge purchase (Which actually covers you for all 5 days of the convention... I know... it is confusing.) It does not apply to the purchase of a single day badge.

Once we turn in our final roster next week and pay our registration fee, we will receive a code for our Club. This can be used for on-line preregistration to purchase a half price 4 day badge. The normal badge prices are as follows:

4 Day badge (Pre-reg) - $65.00 (half price - $32.50)
    4 Day badge (On-Site) - $75.00 (half price - $37.50)
    Single Day Badge (On-site) - $35.00
    (The single day badge for Sunday will be a bit cheaper, since the Con officially closes at 4 PM that day.)

As you can see, it is less expensive as a Club member to come for more than one day.

Also for those who wish to come and check out the con, There is a Day pass available for $5.00 (Might be $10.00 this year) that allows you to enter the exhibit hall, and the game halls, and participate in any non-ticketed event. (Our WoW and DoW events are ticketed.)

If you would like to help us out running the events, please let him know as well. Depending on how much you volunteer, you could earn a free room for up to 4 nights!

In you PM, please include this info:

Full Name
    Email Address
    Mailing Address
    Contact Phone Number
    If you are willing to help run events
    How much time time you are willing to volunteer (2 hours, half day, full day, as much as needed).

I would also like to start a list in this thread of those that are going.

1. Col. Hajj
    2. CappyTom
    3. The Cowman
    4. Mayor Jim and wife Barb
    5. gwalters
    6. nwalters
    7. crhkrebs and son Adrian
    8. Skullduggery
    9. Jager
    10. The Stork
    11. Blackhawkdown and father John
    12. mtyree1972
    13. Goering Ace
    14. Aero825
    15. baronvontigger
    16: Lady Vontigger

Awww it figures this year the wife and I decided to go to Gencon instead of Origins.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    Awww it figures this year the wife and I decided to go to Gencon instead of Origins.
    What and its too late to change your mind??? You are gonna miss out on a ton of fun!!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Keith I know that Ralph (crhkrebs) and his son are planning on going and helping out as well. I will send him an email and have him forward his info on to Tom.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Better late then never. I'll be going and also running some demos as well as some scenarios. Look forward to seeing all of you there.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    What and its too late to change your mind??? You are gonna miss out on a ton of fun!!!
    I may have to work on the Mrs for a day trip out there. If nothing else just to stop in and say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    I may have to work on the Mrs for a day trip out there. If nothing else just to stop in and say hi.
    Make sure you join the club. This way at least you will get in for half price.

The Lt. Col., SWMBO, and I will be there...probably arrive late Thurs. and will help on Fri and Sat (not all day though...gotta see some of the Victoriana stuff...my main period). Hopefully we can get a group together to grab din-din and some drinkies...possibly at the 94th? CappyTom already has our info, etc.

Glad to hear another member is going to make it!

There is an older "Origins/Gencon" thread currently seeing some activity right now that has brought up the merits of choosing either Origins or GenCon as a convention to attend this season. I want to repeat a bit of what I posted there here as well,to help folks understand a little about the whole idea behind the Buckeye Gamers in Flight Game Club, and our choice to run events (hopefully quite a few) at Origins this year.

Origins is historically a miniatures convention, while GenCon is historically a Roleplaying Convention. As it has been explained to me, A few years back Gen Con started forcing its sponsors to be exclusive to their convention, forcing them to choose between GenCon and Origins. I can not verify this information, but have heard it from multiple sources. In the early 2000s, Origins hit its peak with record attendance, and a dealer room that was filled with some of the hottest Game manufacturers around. Since then things have slowly dwindled down and, in the last few years quite a few of the major Game companies have indeed been absent from the dealer room, and indeed, as I mentioned, chosen GenCon instead.

The organization that runs Origins currently is called GAMA (The Game Manufacturers Association.) A new executive director, John Ward, took the reigns last year, and has been working very hard to get the Major Game company presence back at Origins. My FLGS owner has recently informed me, after speaking with Mr. Ward., that GAMA is having some success in building the dealer room back up.

I have spent time at both Conventions, (15 years at Origins, 3 years at GenCon) and have worked in the dealer rooms, run events, and participated as a player and consumer at both. I can tell you that they both have their merits. I can tell you that they both also have their downsides. I chose to run events at Origins this year due to its closer proximity, and because I have asked my FLGS to sponsor prizes for the events we run, since he will have a booth in the dealer room there this year. CappyTom and I are very excited about the prospects of a very successful four (and a half) day run at Origins this year.

It is for this reason that I chose to form and register an official game club with GAMA this year. I am covering the $50 registration fee for the Game Club out of pocket, and am not requiring any compensation from those who join. Being added to the roster for Buckeye Gamers in Flight (Which was basically the Game Club name we chose to represent the wingsofwar.org Ohio Squadron), gets you an automatic half off of your convention badge price, and requires nothing from you in return. All we need is a little information from you to add your name to the list we submit to GAMA. If you choose to help us out with events as well, you earn credit for the amount of time you volunteer. (Calculated based on the number of players in the event and the amount of time the event runs, and then shared between any GM's supervising the event. With enough credit, you can earn a totally free convention badge, Food Vouchers (for the Food Court and other Convention Center vendors), or even a free stay (shared room) at the Hyatt (connected to the Columbus Convention Center) for the Con. This is a chance for us to to meet some of our members face to face, run some events, and have a ton of fun!

The dealer room will have plenty to offer and see, The store to which Rob was referring, Crazy Igor's, has been there for at least the past 5 years and has a HUGE selection of used wargames and material. We also hope to get everyone from the Forums together one evening to have dinner and drinks at the 94th Aerosquadron, near the Columbus Airport. (Just a short drive from the convention center)
    I personally I am planning on running quite a few hours worth of 12 seat events, which will accumulate quite a bit of credit hours toward accommodations/vouchers. The nice thing about running these as a game club, is that our event credit can be pooled, meaning that if I, or anyone else, has extra credit hours that they do not need, those credits can go to another member of the Game Club. I will be collaborating with CappyTom this week to get a tentative list of scheduled events together. I know that Col Hajj, Ralph (crhkrebs), his son, Tom, and Jim are all planning to help out with events as well. If you would like to jump in and help, then we would love to have you. Try to let me know this week so I can work you into the schedule.

Please understand again that you do not have to run events to take advantage of the half price badge perk. You simply have to give us your info, and we will add you to the Game Club member roster. It costs you nothing! But please also keep in mind that there is a time factor involved here. I have spoken to the GAMA reps and have been advised that we need to get our Game Club application and Events application in to them very soon. I plan to submit both of those in the first couple of days of February. So spread the word. Get signed up soon!!! Even if you only think that you might be attending Origins, get signed up. It could save you some dough in the long run!

Thanks for listening, and I hope to see quite a few of you there this June!!!
    Last edited by The Cowman; 01-24-2011 at 18:33.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Just checked Google maps. Only 7 hrs, 41 minutes from Philly to Columbus, OH. Gotta check with the wife and see if I can arrange a road trip for Hunter and I . . .

That would be very sweet if you and Hunter could make it!

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    Just checked Google maps. Only 7 hrs, 41 minutes from Philly to Columbus, OH. Gotta check with the wife and see if I can arrange a road trip for Hunter and I . . .
    Would be great to meet you and your son Hunter. Hope you can make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    It would be great to meet you guys and get a chance to do some gaming together! Maybe convince the Mrs. to come along for the trip. Origins has been very good in the past few years with some programs for the "game widows". They understand that a lot of us have spouses who do not play, and have put together a track of events and "non-events"... Trips to points of interest in Columbus, (Columbus has an awesome Zoo and Waterpark) plenty of non-gaming things to do and see, all while the gamers "obliterate the evil scum of the universe". A couple of years ago they even had a class to teach belly dancing...

Just some food for thought, and maybe some fuel to help her say "sure thing!"
    Last edited by The Cowman; 01-25-2011 at 14:51.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    I would also like to start a list in this thread of those that are going.

1. Col. Hajj
    2. CappyTom
    3. The Cowman
    Keith, at this point we can add Mayor Jim and his wife to the list. I have still not heard back from Ralph (crhkrebs) and his son but I am sure they will be attending and he had already committed to running events.

In addition we can add gwalters and nwalters to the list. Jerry Walters, and his son Nick Walters are both long time friends of mine and the newest additions to the Columbus Flight. They have registered on the site as of this morning, and have committed to helping me out with one or two of my events. I imagine they will particiapte in at least one of our events as well. It may be a while before either of them are able to "report for duty", as Jerry is currently running two departments for Ohio Health here in Columbus, and is persuing a Masters degree as well. Nick works full time and is also going to school. They will hopefully be participating in one or two of my upcoming events here in the coming weeks, and I will be working on getting them more involved with the site once things settle down for them in the future!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Looking forward to meet Scott et al...

Ken, I know you keep "crazy" hours...but, in your post you say "Origins is historically a miniatures convention, while Origins is historically a Roleplaying Convention." Ummm...so what is Gencon? ...obviously a little typo???

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post

Ken, I know you keep "crazy" hours...but, in your post you say "Origins is historically a miniatures convention, while Origins is historically a Roleplaying Convention." Ummm...so what is Gencon? ...obviously a little typo???
    Hmmm that was one that I caught in the original thread and thought I fixed... I must not have fixed it here... Thx... I am on it! It should now read "Origins is historically a miniatures convention, while GenCon is historically a Roleplaying Convention."
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Thanks Jim I didn't want Ken to get it from me. hehe

Keith, Skuldduggery has been added to the Clob Roster as a possible attendee for the Con.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I was discussing this with CappyTom last night and just got off the phone with Angela at GAMA to get a clarification that I need to pass on to you: (Keith, you may want to add some of this to the initial post as well)

The Half Price discount for Game Club members applies only to a 4 day Badge purchase (Which actually covers you for all 5 days of the convention... I know... it is confusing.) It does not apply to the purchase of a single day badge.

Once I turn in our final roster next week and pay our registration fee, we will receive a code for our Club. This can be used for on-line preregistration to purchase a half price 4 day badge. The normal badge prices are as follows:

4 Day badge (Pre-reg) - $65.00 (half price - $32.50)
    4 Day badge (On-Site) - $75.00 (half price - $37.50)
    Single Day Badge (On-site) - $35.00
    (The single day badge for Sunday will be a bit cheaper, since the Con officially closes at 4 PM that day.)

As you can see, it is less expensive as a Club member to come for more than one day.

Also for those who wish to come and check out the con, There is a Day pass available for $5.00 (Might be $10.00 this year) that allows you to enter the exhibit hall, and the game halls, and participate in any non-ticketed event. (Our WoW and DoW events are ticketed.)

There are plenty of Hotels not far from the Convention Center, many are close to the COTA bus lines which can take you to the Con. There is also a free convention bus that makes regular circuits to many of the downtown hotels during the entire Con. If you want to come for more than one day I would suggest checking out Priceline or one of the other on-line Hotel search services to get a good room rate early.

Again you only have until the 31st to get your name on the club roster if you think you might attend... so get signed up soon!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Ken,

Good info. Helps in planning (and saving up my nickels)...we'll be there for 2 days (arrive Thursday night and leave Saturday eve)...unfortunately, we have a dog and a cat that I'll need to put up. Everytime we go somewhere overnight, I drop about 50 bucks a night before I'm even out the door...oh well...

Ken,

Good info. Helps in planning (and saving up my nickels)...we'll be there for 2 days (arrive Thursday night and leave Saturday eve)...unfortunately, we have a dog and a cat that I'll need to put up. Everytime we go somewhere overnight, I drop about 50 bucks a night before I'm even out the door...oh well...
    Jim I know how you mean. But there worth it.

The nickels, the wife or the pets? I guess they are all worth it in the end...BTW, we drink, smoke, spit and cuss...well at least I do all 4...the Lt Col, SWMBO only does 2 of the 4...working for the Feds (hey, we're your country, not a company)...causes me to spit and cuss a lot more lately ;-)

We can add Jager to the list as well. He will be joining us for sure Friday afternoon and all of Saturday. He is willing to help with events as well.

I now have Ralph's info (crhkrebs). His son's name is Adrian. Ralph will be running one event on his own and may be able to help with other depending on the rest of his schedule. If I remember correctly, Adrian is one heck of a photgrapher and had a very nice rig, so maybe we can get him to be our offical photo guy!

I will be working on a few of my Columbus guys this Sunday as well, to talk them in to signing up! Still waiting to hear from a few of the Michigan guys who said they might be going this year.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Should be another Columbus Flight recruit signing in this evening, assuming he is able to follow up on my phone call with him and email this afternoon. Mike Devnay... good guy... very funny... stand-up- comedian in fact so he should fit right in here... played with him in Ralph's event at Origins last year... He will be joining the BGIF as well! Origins is gonna rock! (If I get off of here and get some work done that is...)
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Should be another Columbus Flight recruit signing in this evening, assuming he is able to follow up on my phone call with him and email this afternoon. Mike Devnay... good guy... very funny... stand-up- comedian in fact so he should fit right in here... played with him in Ralph's event at Origins last year... He will be joining the BGIF as well! Origins is gonna rock! (If I get off of here and get some work done that is...)
    Has he done any demo videos on youtube?

Devnay or Devany? I used to game with a guy named Mike Devany.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Has he done any demo videos on youtube?
    Heheh not sure... you will have to ask him...

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    Devnay or Devany? I used to game with a guy named Mike Devany.
    Yep
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

The Current Roster is now:

1. Col. Hajj
    2. CappyTom
    3. The Cowman
    4. Mayor Jim and wife Barb
    5. gwalters
    6. nwalters
    7. crhkrebs and son Adrian
    8. Skullduggery
    9. Jager
    10. The Stork
    11. Blackhawkdown and father John
    12. mtyree1972
    13. Goering Ace
    14. Aero825
    15. baronvontigger
    16: Lady Vontigger
    We are slowly gathering a party folks... I am thinking you might regret it if you don't join us!
    Last edited by The Cowman; 02-02-2011 at 21:15. Reason: to add to the list
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Do any of you guys have any Gotha minis? I'd like to put on a mission based off of the 13 June 1917 raid by the Gothas on London. 16 Gothas were intercepted on the return flight by Camels of 4 RNAS. I know I field enough scout planes (maybe not all Camels, but it's just a game after all), but I've only got the one Gotha.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Do any of you guys have any Gotha minis? I'd like to put on a mission based off of the 13 June 1917 raid by the Gothas on London. 16 Gothas were intercepted on the return flight by Camels of 4 RNAS. I know I field enough scout planes (maybe not all Camels, but it's just a game after all), but I've only got the one Gotha.
    My intention was to have at least one or two by the show... If I got enough players for my bombing run events I was thinking about using a big bomber, so I had planned on buying a couple kits..
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Mtyree1972 has also signed up for the Game Club and will be attending and has also offered to help out some on Friday. (I have added him to my list above) We are up to 15 members so far!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Keith!

That is great idea. Plus a great deal. It is one week before my vacation to visit the family 50 miles away#*#* You gents have great time!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Keith!

That is great idea. Plus a great deal. It is one week before my vacation to visit the family 50 miles away#*#* You gents have great time!

Rich
    Maybe next year Richard. Have fun on the family visit.

Tom

Final announcement to all Aerodrome Members! If you even think you might like to attend Origins this year, then get signed up for the Game Club A.S.A.P. (translates- By Monday)!

Signing up for the Game Club costs you nothing and does not obligate you to attend Origins. It will get you a half price four day badge to the con... I am turning in the Club Roster this coming Tuesday or Wednesday...LAST CALL!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Last minute entries to the Club Roster: Goering Ace and Aero825, baronvontigger and Crystal Tammadge (has not registered here yet). I am updating the list above.
    Last edited by The Cowman; 02-01-2011 at 11:44.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Thanks Ken,

Now that registration to join the "club" is closed...how do we actually sign up for origins, get room reservations, etc?

Thanks Ken,

Now that registration to join the "club" is closed...how do we actually sign up for origins, get room reservations, etc?
    1st Jim I need your credit card...then any cash your not using...trust me I know what I'm doing...hehehe

Thanks Ken,

Actually Jim, you will need to wait until they have processed our game application. Once they do that then Angela from GAMA will contact me with a club code. (It is like a promo code specifically for our club) We will then be able to use that get registered for half price. You will also want to wait until they have finished processing our event applications as well. That will determine how many room slots we get, and how many free badges we get. Those will get distributed among the people running events based on what we have and how many hours each person is contributing. I am meeting with GAMA tomorrow to turn things in. It will take them a few days If I had to guess, and I will let you know as soon as I know something. I can guarantee you that this is gonna be a blast! I am very excited about our plans, and I know Keith and Tom are as well!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Update: Due to extenuating and somewhat silly circumstances , the delivery of our applications has been delayed by one day. Please see here for details: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?3558-Just-sit-right-back-and-you-ll-hear-a-tale-a-tale-of-a-fateful-trip...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    1st Jim I need your credit card...then any cash your not using...trust me I know what I'm doing...hehehe
    Tom...believe me, if you tried using my credit card after the Lt. Col. SWMBO has touched it, the SWAT team would be on you like phsht...besides, working for IRS...I like cash...much harder to trace don't you know ;-)

Actually Jim, you will need to wait until they have processed our game application. Once they do that then Angela from GAMA will contact me with a club code. (It is like a promo code specifically for our club) We will then be able to use that get registered for half price. You will also want to wait until they have finished processing our event applications as well. That will determine how many room slots we get, and how many free badges we get. Those will get distributed among the people running events based on what we have and how many hours each person is contributing. I am meeting with GAMA tomorrow to turn things in. It will take them a few days If I had to guess, and I will let you know as soon as I know something. I can guarantee you that this is gonna be a blast! I am very excited about our plans, and I know Keith and Tom are as well!
    Ken...thanks for the info...read about your "adventure" as well...

Tom...believe me, if you tried using my credit card after the Lt. Col. SWMBO has touched it, the SWAT team would be on you like phsht...besides, working for IRS...I like cash...much harder to trace don't you know ;-)
    I guess we all like cash but its so hard to buy stuff on line with it...

OK Ladies and Gentlemen! It is now 5:30 P.M EST... which means that I will be crossing the street to make our presentation in about a half an hour from now. I have scanned the immediate area for crazed killer bunnies, and rogue speeding farm tractors and it does appear to be all clear. I have also been on the lookout for large flocks of Canadian Geese, small children on tricycles armed with slingshots, and suspicious looking little old ladies. I have a Four Leaf Clover in one pocket and I am leaving the lucky rabbit's foot at home so as not to tick of the crazed killer bunnies. I think things are looking great for a launch as scheduled.... I will report back later...

However please note that this will be my last post until CappyTom catches up to me, as I absolutely refuse to be promoted to Lt. Colonel before my CO has been. I find it to be uncivilized behavior!

Cowman signing out 'til then!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

OK Ladies and Gentlemen! It is now 5:30 P.M EST... which means that I will be crossing the street to make our presentation in about a half an hour from now. I have scanned the immediate area for crazed killer bunnies, and rogue speeding farm tractors and it does appear to be all clear. I have also been on the lookout for large flocks of Canadian Geese, small children on tricycles armed with slingshots, and suspicious looking little old ladies. I have a Four Leaf Clover in one pocket and I am leaving the lucky rabbit's foot at home so as not to tick of the crazed killer bunnies. I think things are looking great for a launch as scheduled.... I will report back later...

However please note that this will be my last post until CappyTom catches up to me, as I absolutely refuse to be promoted to Lt. Colonel before my CO has been. I find it to be uncivilized behavior!

Cowman signing out 'til then!
    Again no pressure right Ken...I guess I could say anything and you will be quite... Six to go right..

The meeting went very well! John Ward is a great guy and is doing an awesome job of running GAMA and getting Origins back to it glory days! We have a few more "i"s to dot and "t"s to cross, and then it is a matter of waiting to find out which (hopefully all) of our events are approved and if anything needs to be switched around for logisitics reasons... I am sure we will have more to report soon.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Good to hear Ken. Your doing a great job, I've got your back.

Ken,
    Thanks for taking the lead here...anxiously awaiting your next report...

Default Dawn of War Scenario

Hey I am going to be having a DoW scenario to protect the airstrip. Here's a photo recon of it, and need some help.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the white strip around the island and also hold the map down to the cloth ocean? The cloth is around 6' x 3'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Welcome to the Wings of War Aerodrome
    By zMaint in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 02-18-2021, 01:41
  2. Replies: 119
    Last Post: 09-28-2011, 18:36
  3. Origins and Gen Con
    By RBREE in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 00:50