Ares Games

Thread: Calling all Fokker Dr.1 Repaints

Default Calling all Fokker Dr.1 Repaints

I have acquired two Kempf Dr.1's that I am going to repaint to finish off my circus squadron. As I want them to look great I thought I would ask for advise and expertise here.

To that end, please post any photos of Dr.1 repaints that you have done, along with the colour ID's and makes of the paints you used.

Any other tips on Dr.1 repaints would also be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Try 'Derek's Wee Toys' he has painted a squadron of Jasta 2 DR1's, it might give you some ideas.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    Try 'Derek's Wee Toys' he has painted a squadron of Jasta 2 DR1's, it might give you some ideas.
    Don
    Looked in albums, couldn't find them.

By "Circus Squadron" do you just want Jasta 11 schemes, or is it anything and everything ?
    This page might give some ideas: http://www.fokkerdr1.com/Profiles/Pr...%20Pearson.htm

And if it is just Jasta11, Tonyc206 has painted up some really nice Triplanes here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=303
    Last edited by IRM; 01-18-2011 at 23:31.

Quote Originally Posted by pkay View Post
    Looked in albums, couldn't find them.
    Its not on this site, just type 'Derek's Wee Toys' into a seach engine and it should come up.

Don

Hi Paul, here's my effort at Mohnickes tripe in my album; it's annotated with paint colours (mostly Games Workshop). Why not do one as your personal kite in the style of a Jasta like Jasta 11 for instance ? That way you don't have to be so historically accurate and you get something unique out of it as well as being able to fly with the Baron !!
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 07-29-2012 at 05:00.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Check here for my Bavarian Dr1:

I've also recently finished a Stuttgart DVII (black and yellow with prancing horse on shield, no pics up though). No reason it has to be straight out of a squadron right?

I'd say go for what makes you happy or what you will enjoy flying.

As to colors, I used a GW - Midnight Blue (I think it's called), Apple Barrell White, Dreamcoat Straw, and various other craft paint blues, reds, yellows, and gold (think I used a Folk Art gold)
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 07-29-2012 at 05:01.

[QUOTE=Maniac;44969]Check here for my Bavarian Dr1:QUOTE]

Robert, will you please stop teasing me with that Bavarian repaint. Every time I see it my painting hand starts twitching again.
    Incredible work.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Two relatively easy ones for you

The top one is Lothar Von R Front was GW Camo green, rear GW Bubonic Brown

Bottom pic my version of Voss undercoated with GW spacewolves Grey, then over the top a mix of Citadel foundation Knarlock Green & MP paints Deep Bronze Green. Dry brushed with GW Scorched Brown, then lightly brushed again with scorched brown ( trying for the streaky look)

Thanks very much for the ideas so far. I already have one "perosnal" Dr.1 - black with a white cowling and left rear fin (reminds me I cannot turn 90o left!) - but it not very imaginative or inspiring. I am starting to like to the look of dopped Fokker canvas in the streaked factory brown. Any thoughts as to achieve that effect?

[QUOTE=Flying Officer Kyte;44977]
    Quote Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
    Check here for my Bavarian Dr1:QUOTE]

Robert, will you please stop teasing me with that Bavarian repaint. Every time I see it my painting hand starts twitching again.
    Incredible work.
    Rob.
    Sorry, not trying to toot my own horn. Just trying to use it as an example of a 'non-historic' plane that is still fun, still in keeping with some of the wilder German paint schemes, and something personal.

Please don't apologise Robert. I think it is wonderful. Just the thing to encourage more people to take up their paint brushes. Lets have more of them please.
    I sometimes forget that my quirky British sense of humour does not always travel well to your side of the pond. Please excuse me.
    Rob.

Rob, where do you get quirky sense of humour from????

Quote Originally Posted by Algynon View Post
    Dementia and alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by Algynon View Post
    E-bay or Walmart.
    Kyte.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Here's my selection of Jasta 11 repaints. Left to right you have Edgar Scholz, Lothar von Richthofen, Eberhardt Mohnicke and one of Manfred von Richthofen's aircraft. I have a couple more to do.

There are more pictures in my album.

A very nice bunch of Fokkers if I may be so bold as to say so John. We have some very talented people on the drome.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post

There are more pictures in my album.
    Very nice John! how do you get that Fokker factory cammo effect?

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Thanks Rob, I really enjoyed working with these little Fokkers.

Paul, the streaked finish was impressively low-tech. The Rahn DR1 is pretty close in colour to Thornwood Green - a Privateer Press P3 colour. I added a little bit of Cryx Bane Base for a better match and slapped it on without thinning it as much as normal - almost straight from the pot. I then got a flat 3mm brush (a Winsor & Newton "One Stroke" Artist's water colour sable), dipped it in GW "Bleached Bone" and wiped most of the paint off. Then I just dragged it over the damp green paint in straight lines. If you look, I went in different directions on different aircraft. I think each doper had his own way of doing it, so they all looked a bit different.

I did try doing it the other way and painting green over linen colour like the real aircraft. It didn't work - I don't think it scales very well.

There is a school of though which suggests there were several colours of streaking on the real aircraft, not just green. I have seen a photo of a doper working on a DR1 and he has several buckets around him, which would support this theory. Shame the photo wasn't in colour!

Hi Paul

As per your PM here is a photo of my Jasta 11 re-paints

The colours that I used are all Vallejo paints:
    Undersides - Mix 3:1 of White (3) & Sky Blue (1)
    Topsides- Mix 4:1 of Russian Uniform (4) & Flat Earth (1)
    Engine cowlings, wheels and struts, along with MVR kites - Vallejo Red
    Lothar's kite - Deep Yellow
    Monhicke's - 1:1 mix of sky blue and white

The streaking effect you asked about is done by adding thin stripes of watered down Buff in the direction of choice much the same as John did. each time I did them I used different mix of paint and water to vary the effect. When the was dry I washed the area with a thinned down mix of the top coat colour just to help blend it all together and I was quite pleased with the effect although some planes are better than others.

All fuselage stripes were achived by using thin masking tape from JammyDog. as were the stripes on the front of Wenzel's wings. For these I put a thin piece of tape on the top and bottom of each wing and painted the leading edge white. When that dry I painted the blak sections using the wing ribs as guides. as with most things it was quite simple after a little thought.

The one thing I missed with these planes was to paint the wing-tip skids in brown. I must get around to doing that one day. Oh yes, and add some pilots too

Fantastic, That gives me hours of fun and puzzling as I try to bring my painting skills up to the level my expectations that have been inspired by your repaints. I am sure others will find your repaints and explanation, along with the colour id's, very instructive.

I'm book marking this for later. I have two 1:144 DR1 kits to put together, and I was planning on painting them with the "stock" doped paint from the Fokker factory. I was wondering how to get the proper effect to do that.

Zach

That is indeed an impressive display Tony. I wouldn't want to meet those gents on an early morning patrol, or at any other time for that matter. No matter how long one has been painting, there is always something one can learn from from a well painted group like this together with your run down on the baggy wrinkles of painting.
    Thanks for that.
    Rob.

Nice set of Dr.1's. I have 17 in my collection so far and another 12 for repaints.

Not repaints as such but shapeways originals. A couple of fantasy types from the "Flyboys" movie which I have displayed before: "The Red Baron" (with crossed swords) & "The Black Falcon". Fairly straightforward paint jobs with Y-Kraft decals. More pix of these in my album:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1340

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails black fokker 1.jpg   red fokker 1.jpg  

Beautiful Fokkers in there - This is my personal livery, and avatar, for my missionsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WoW Photos 031.jpg  Views: 85  Size: 91.0 KB  ID: 54416" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Quote Originally Posted by calfaber View Post
    Nice set of Dr.1's. I have 17 in my collection so far and another 12 for repaints.
    Had a peek in your album, Cal - And it's a truly impressive collection.
    You should add a pic in your post as a teaser!

/Niclas

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    E-bay or Walmart.
    Kyte.
    Gee & all this time I thought it was from those G & T's!

Thumbs up

Jasta 18 Raben has a great colour scheme & the Jastafurher's own aircraft is really nice.
    Pics attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J18 Dr1 & Fok DV11 2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	54425Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J18 Dr1 & Fok DV11.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	54424

Wow, I hadn't seen this thread before; lovely work there fellas. Barry, I really like the Jasta 18 scheme, I am still deciding on which Jasta to go with to do my Shapeways Dvii's and Dr1's.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Gee & all this time I thought it was from those G & T's!
    Actually Barry the G&T just helps me to get up the courage to brave Walmart. I'd rather face Jasta 11

any day.

Rob.

Right chaps here are my Fokker DrI repaints to date.

Name:	DSC_2260.jpg 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	54461

Name:	DSC_2253.jpg 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	54455

Name:	DSC_2254.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	54456

Name:	DSC_2255.jpg 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	54457

Name:	DSC_2256.jpg 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	54458

Name:	DSC_2257.jpg 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	54459

Name:	DSC_2258.jpg 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	54460

Name:	DSC_2262.jpg 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	54462

Rob.

Well, I guess I'll show off mine as well....

And one of my Jasta 11 planes (at the time) (MvR is the Revised Deluxe set mini)

Here's the one of my DR.I repaints that I'm most pleased with.

Name:	PICT0050.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	508.2 KB 
ID:	54514
    /Niclas

To all those are AWESOME paint jobs and photos. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc206 View Post
    Hi Paul

As per your PM here is a photo of my Jasta 11 re-paints

The colours that I used are all Vallejo paints:
    Undersides - Mix 3:1 of White (3) & Sky Blue (1)
    Topsides- Mix 4:1 of Russian Uniform (4) & Flat Earth (1)
    Engine cowlings, wheels and struts, along with MVR kites - Vallejo Red
    Lothar's kite - Deep Yellow
    Monhicke's - 1:1 mix of sky blue and white

The streaking effect you asked about is done by adding thin stripes of watered down Buff in the direction of choice much the same as John did. each time I did them I used different mix of paint and water to vary the effect. When the was dry I washed the area with a thinned down mix of the top coat colour just to help blend it all together and I was quite pleased with the effect although some planes are better than others.

All fuselage stripes were achived by using thin masking tape from JammyDog. as were the stripes on the front of Wenzel's wings. For these I put a thin piece of tape on the top and bottom of each wing and painted the leading edge white. When that dry I painted the blak sections using the wing ribs as guides. as with most things it was quite simple after a little thought.

The one thing I missed with these planes was to paint the wing-tip skids in brown. I must get around to doing that one day. Oh yes, and add some pilots too
    These are GREAT!

Similar Missions

1. Site: Calling all repainters.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-01-2011, 12:07
  2. WW I: Fokker Repaints
    By Canuck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-19-2010, 17:47