Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Captured Aircraft

Default Captured Aircraft

Its fairly well known that the Germans used a few captured allied aircraft, such as this Camel:

Does anyone have any examples of other captured aircraft (of either side) that would make good candidates for a repaint job?

You could make a repaint of Otto Windisch Spad VII (jasta 32b) that is present in the booster pack Hit and Run.I haven't found any photos but it's mainly red,with white and blue stripes on the wings
    Ok I've found a pic...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cap15a.JPG  
    Last edited by Von Pupp; 01-17-2011 at 11:32.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marts
    Sorties Flown

I'm gonna repaint my rarely used Rickenbacker Spad to give this a try I think.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Just Wings Of War repaints or kits too? If the latter I'll have a rummage, as I seem to recall photos of a Bristol F2B used as a Jasta hack....

Quote Originally Posted by Danrit View Post
    OH poor Eddie... abandoned and soon to be wiped out by laquer thinner... what a way to go!! Heheheh

Good Luck and take some pictures when you are done! I did a whole series of captured WWI 1/72 models once... sold them and no longer have the pics... they were not historically accurate but were fun to do!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

"Just Wings Of War repaints or kits too?"

Kits too would do

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I'll have a rummage later then - pretty sure I've got photos and maybe a profile on my old PC - will have a look at the Bob Barnetson CD too, as there are all sorts of oddities on that....

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Ooh, just found a fun Biff - clearly IFF was considered a concern....

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ermanhands.jpg

oooh now I like that, got the captured camel, sooo might just have to have a go.
    Anyone know of a capture the other way? i.e an Entente Fokker or Alb ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Ooh, just found a fun Biff - clearly IFF was considered a concern....

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ermanhands.jpg
    I love it!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

There's a fairly well known RFC Albatros D.V, but it was never flown over the lines afaik.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FileVa.jpg

The Belgian Friedrichshafen G.III, on the other hand....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/landoni/2874754346/

The Belgian Friedrichshafen G.III, on the other hand....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/landoni/2874754346/
    Can anyone tell me anymore about this G.III, like how it ended up in Belgian hands?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Damaged by AA fire and landed in Belgian territory - there are a few links under the photo - the second one in particular's got a bit more info as well as more photos.

Does that mean you'll end up with a rarely used Windisch Spad XIII ?! Don't forget the Spads are different marks Marts.
    Try saying that when you're elephants ! it is a nice paint job though.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

If I can imagine a "fantasy" aircraft with a cow-spotted paint scheme, then I can imagine an Entente captured Fokker DVII or DR.I painted up in Entente colors and markings... in fact that sounds like the type of project that is right up my alley!

(I figure eventually I will have earned a reputation as the "Scourge of the History Buffs" here at the "Drome!)
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marts
    Sorties Flown

Does that mean you'll end up with a rarely used Windisch Spad XIII ?! Don't forget the Spads are different marks Marts.
    Try saying that when you're elephants ! it is a nice paint job though.
    Hmmm. I know what you mean but the difference in 1:144 scale is slight, enough for me to ignore maybe.
    I just don't like the Rickenbacker colours, they never looked right to me. The new American Spad in the deluxe set (Paul is it?) looks far more like it to me.

Damaged by AA fire and landed in Belgian territory - there are a few links under the photo - the second one in particular's got a bit more info as well as more photos.
    Thanks Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    oooh now I like that, got the captured camel, sooo might just have to have a go.
    apart from the 2 mentioned by Dom, i have a pic of a DIII with British roundels on it, the pic is b/w but it apparently retained its distinctive jasta 11 markings, it was shot down and caputred in Jun 1917.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marts
    Sorties Flown

Biggles had all sorts of trouble when he took a captured bus for a spin. Best to leave it well alone what?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Agree entirely on the Rickenbacker SPAD - colours are blooming awful - the Fonck one, and Frank Luke's in the deluxe set, are much better.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Found the Bob Barnetson CD, and there were a couple of gems I'd forgotten about.... Quite a few profiles of aircraft in German markings at the Valenciennes Jastaschule, but a couple of more interesting ones:

Breguet 14 of Fl Abt (A) 208, which appears to have been repainted in mauve and green (I've not seen the photos, but from Bob's notes the pattern is very similar to LVG's factory finish at the time, suggesting a repaint to match the unit's other aircraft.)

Sopwith Triplane N5429 shot down by Kurt Wusthoff of Jasta 4. Doubtful it was subsequently used in anger, but the repair work and remarking appears to have been done by the Jasta, not after turning it in to HQ, so maybe....

(Also has profiles of Windisch's SPAD VII and Kissenberth's Camel that have already come up. Sadly nothing of interest on the allied side. Drop me an email if any of those are of interest though DM.)
    Last edited by Dom S; 01-18-2011 at 14:45.

I don't remember the particulars but there were a number of Nieuport 17s that eneded up flying for the Germans.

Pooh

one Nieuport 17 W.Voss had . Cant find the picture .Will post it when I do.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

The Voss Nieuport (complete with re-covered lozenge pattern fuselage) was a spoof unfortunately.

http://wwi-cookup.com/dicta_ira/nieuport/voss.html

The information was supplied by Dr Uebelscherz, which I think translates as "bad joke"....

Paul Baumer of FlAbt 7 did have a Nieuport that he fixed up and flew on several front flights though. Another well-known one was captured from Escadrille N48, but went to the jastaschule; not used at the front. (Ditto for the Siemens D.I, which was a Nieuport 17 copy, but not used operationally on the western front.)
    Last edited by Dom S; 01-19-2011 at 17:26.

Nieuport 23 from the 60 Sqn. Baumer flew several times. It had a number 7 on it.

Googling Dom's suggestion of the captured Br.14 I came across this (hope the link works). Its only a CGI image, but it gives a good impression of what the machine may have looked like.

http://combatace.com/index.php?autom...&showfile=4439

Biggles had all sorts of trouble when he took a captured bus for a spin. Best to leave it well alone what?
    Not quite as much trouble as when he went to have a look round the tank!
    Biggles captured a/c still bore german markings.
    Biggles also felt it was highly dubious morally using a kite under false colours - refusing to fire on machines whose pilots had been taken in. I dare say this kind of attitude would be pretty widespread. - Definitely not the behaviour of gentlemen, and the notion of being Archied by my own side would put me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Can anyone tell me anymore about this G.III, like how it ended up in Belgian hands?
    Of course I can

In spring 1918 to be exact in the night of 19 to 20 of Januari a German Friedrichshafe GIII made a forced landing smack in the middle of the Belgian lines at "Vinkem".
    The aircraft was coming back from a bombing raid on Paris when it was hit by anti-aircraft fire.

Before the crew could set their aircraft on fire they were taken prisoner by Belgian infantry. Immediately the commanding officer made contact with Cpt. Richard, CO of the 5th Esc. at "Houtem" air-base, who send a number of mecanics to get the GIII back in operational mode.
    At "houtem" airfield the crosses were overpainted with Belgian cockades and in triumph they adorned the nose with the heraldic device of our King, Albert I .

In May it was flown by Lt. José Orta who had to force-land it after engine trouble. Made flight-worthy again it was then flown to "Juvisy-sur-Orge" to enable the French to study it in and out...

I would have to do some research to know what happened with it afterwards.

Here you find a link to some pictures taken shortly after the GIII made it's forced landing :

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages...afen_g_iii.htm
    Last edited by Bluedevil; 04-17-2011 at 04:21. Reason: added link + some typo's of course :P

Just found some others :

Leutnant Otto Berner : a Sopwith Pup from N°56 Squadron ( serial B1721)

Leutnant Heinrich Bongartz : A Spad VII from SPA31

Unteroffizier Gustav Leffers : Nieuport 11 ( reportedly he was killed on 27th December 1916 while flying the said Nieuport )

( info I found in "Vintage Warbirds N°8 - German aces of World War One )

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Kurt Student flew a Nieuport 11 for a while as well, although he didn't score any kills in it. I'd completely forgotten about Bernert's Pup (actually 54 squadron rather than 56 - Holler shot it down) but that was definitely used at least for patrols in the early days of Jasta Boelcke - they even refitted it with a Spandau iirc.

You are right...It was 54 Squadron...I've misread the caption ( definitely need new glasses )

Default my thoughts

would love some "captured" minis hmmmmmmm

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jody
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Von Pupp View Post
    You could make a repaint of Otto Windisch Spad VII (jasta 32b) that is present in the booster pack Hit and Run.I haven't found any photos but it's mainly red,with white and blue stripes on the wings
    Ok I've found a pic...
    its the one on my sig cool if u could get it to look like this

Here's a Triplane and a Pup, and a Fokker E.III
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Alternate view of the Kissenberth Camel

Note that the Camel killed many pilots - on both sides. Kissenberth crashed in this machine, and was invalided out of flying.

Hmmm. I know what you mean but the difference in 1:144 scale is slight, enough for me to ignore maybe.
    I just don't like the Rickenbacker colours, they never looked right to me. The new American Spad in the deluxe set (Paul is it?) looks far more like it to me.
    Its actually Frank Luke's one. He was the Balloon Busting Ace.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    G'day Chris! Although the Brits captured many German Aircraft they were only flown for comparison purposes & intelligence. I do not know of ANY German aircraft flown by the British in combat.
    Seems like we did not think it "cosher" to fly the Enemy Aircraft in combat like the Germans & maybe a bit of Pride came into it as well.

In our game, for WWI we have so far:

Famous Aces
    Sopwith Camel Oberleutnant Otto Kissenberth Jasta 23 Luftstreitskräfte

Watch your back!
    Nieuport 11 Leutnant Gustav Leffers Jasta 1 Luftstreitskräfte

Burning Drachens
    Nieuport 17 Unteroffizier Paul Bäumer Fliegerabteilung 7 Luftstreitskräfte
    Nieuport 17 Vecihi Hürkuţ - Kuvva-i Havvaiye (one out of five captured by Turkish troops on a barge)

Recon Patrol
    Friedrichshafen G.III - 4čme Escadrille d'observation Aviaton Militaire (Belgium)

Crossfire
    Bristol F2B Fighter - - Koninklijke Luchtmacht (Holland)

Hit & Run
    SPAD VII Hauptmann Eduard Ritter von Schleich Jasta 21 Luftstreitkräfte
    SPAD VII Leutnant Rudolf Friedrich Otto Windisch Jasta 32b Luftstreitkräfte

True as far as I know, Allied never used captured planes at the front apart from the Belgian G.III. Even most of the planes captured by Gremany and Austria were used for training and evaluation only. Anyway, here a nice French Albatros D.III:

In the game we also have several Soviet 1917-1921 planes captured to various enemies (including a camel, several Nieuports and SPAD VII I guess, a D.VII and a couple of Snipes), several planes by Eastern states captured in post-1918 wars (Top Fighters features a Hungarian Red Airborne Corps D.VII in its original colors and in the colors afterwards taken when Czechs captured and used it), planes from the Spanish Civil War (a captured I-16 used by Nationalists), WW2 planes as a couple of German Spitfires (ok I cheated - these were for evaluation only but I loved to give Galland's dream a chance), an Italian D.520 (maybe the only captured miniature done so far), a Finnish and a Roumenian I-16, a Soviet Galdiator (captured in Lithuania), a French Fiat Cr.42 and a Partisan Stuka I am especially fond of. I hope I did not forget anything relevant.
    I am waiting the occasion to feature the captured P-38 that Angelo Tondi used in the skies of Rome to shot down a couple of US bombers...

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

I`ve always rather thought that Jasta 18`s D.H.4 would make a good subject for a model.
    Looks like Guntruck`s beaten me to it though.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...hite-red-white

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Bristol F2B Fighter - - Koninklijke Luchtmacht (Holland)
    Forgive the pedantry, but: Technically, this one would have been "interned", not captured; as Holland was a neutral.

As to the Italian P-38: Only if we get a YB-40 card to go with it.... >;)

Well I'll stick to history and be happy of the couple of regular B-17 that Colonnello Angelo Tondi shot down.

But I'll make one for myself and avoid any protest from customers wanting US planes instead in our line.

Attachment 161859

Well I'll stick to history and be happy of the couple of regular B-17 that Colonnello Angelo Tondi shot down.

But I'll make one for myself and avoid any protest from customers wanting US planes instead in our line.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tondi.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	161860
    Last edited by Angiolillo; 04-05-2015 at 01:56.

You will not regret this wise decision, not to produce a captured P38 Lightning with WGS 7 series, Andrea.

...I'm conviced that's better for the blood pressure of some forum members.

By the way: You earned a nice medal for "thread necromancing".

Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

If our Administrator in his wisdom decided that old threads are not closed, it is maybe because it's never too late to continue a discussion...

The Russians captured some German planes.

Name:	Halb-BIIorC1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	161866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halb-cl4.jpg 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	161867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ak-halberstadt-cl-iv.jpg 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	161868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	friedrichshafen-g3.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	161869

Also captured German Albatros B, C; Rumpler; L.V.G.; Brandenburg C; Aviatik; Roland;
    Flying boats Fridrichsgaven-49c, Brandenburg-Hanza, GW, W-12, W-25, W-32, Sablatnig-5;Austrian Berg; Schneider;
    There were even some squadrons, completely equipped with a captured planes.
    And a number of Russian improved version of the captured German Albatros C "Lebed XII" was built.

We did the same with a captured Lohner, like the one now on display at the Italian Air Force museum.

Name:	800px-Lohner_L-127.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	161873

The captured one was L.40, hastly copied: Hence the Macchi L.1. Then it evolved into Macchi L.2. Since the third version it became M: Macchi M.3, enough enhanced to get M as Macchi instead than L as Lohner.
    Macchi M.5 will be aded to our range within a dozen of days.

Name:	800x600-ww1_wings_of_glory-WGF207A.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	161872

Those flyboats will see action at Prague, Andrea.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Just a matter of time before I get my hands on these as models Andrea.
    I never envisaged when Attillio took me to the museum this time last year at the end of April that I would have one of my own within 12 months.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    We did the same with a captured Lohner,
    So it started as a Lohner, but now you own it....

B)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Which aircraft would you most like to add to the mix?
    By Greywolf in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 20:11
  2. Which aircraft would you most like to add to the mix?
    By AlgyLacey in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 13:29
  3. Discontinued aircraft
    By check6 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-21-2010, 13:46
  4. New Aircraft
    By leadpusher in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2010, 08:30
  5. Using Captured Planes