Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
  • Jump to page:

1. Christophe - 10-03-2010, 23:17
    I decided to take the plunge and build one of the DR1's I'd purchased. I hesitantly opened the first pack and scaned the instuctions, seemed quite simple! Then I came to look at the parts. All seemed to be in order, but I spotted one of the main struts was not fully formed. Never one to be daunted, I thought I could rectify this by getting one from another pack and making another one later. I opened another pack, looked at the pieces and thought I'd opened the wrong pack. I hadn't. It said plainly on the pack front DR1. What I had in front of me was not a DR1. It seemed to be 3 albatros wings (2 upper and 1 lower), an Alb fuselage, a DR1 tail and under carriage. At this point I was rather miffed to say the least, so I opened another DR1 pack. Better! All DR1 parts, so I started on assembly of the first model.

The instructions are given numbers of how to proceed, so following the numbers I started.
    1. Place the prop through the cowling and glue the retaining ring to the prop shaft. (Parts cleaned and stuck)
    2. Glue the two halves of the fuselage together and the cowling on to the front of the fuselage. ( Parts cleaned and fuselage halves glued together, when I came to fit the cowling assembly to the fuselage I found that the retaining ring for the prop got in the way, so I had to cut it off and glue in the prop before glueing the cowling onto the fuselage)
    3. Glue the tail fin to the fuselage. ( cleaned and done no prob)
    4. Glue the cabine struts to the top wing. (What the f**k are the cabine struts????)

Time to pack up and go and get a cuppa!!!!!!!
    Edit Report
  2. Flying Officer Kyte - 10-04-2010, 10:28
    I think they are the little struts that join the fuselage to the wings Chris.
    Rob.
    Edit Report
  3. Christophe - 10-04-2010, 11:56
    Ta for that Rob. Still doesn't make sense to glue them on first, but will give it a try.
  4. IRM - 10-04-2010, 16:53
    Think it's because most of the Reviresco kits use brass rod for the struts, passed through the lower wing. The cabine struts and wing jigs make sure your upper wings are in the right position.

I'm surprised you had problems with the model's parts. All of the ones I ordered had extra sprues of struts etc if any of the parts on the originals were miscast. John at Reviresco's a pleasure to deal with if there's any problems, I'm sure he'll replace any damaged or missing parts if you drop him a line.
  5. Christophe - 10-05-2010, 14:16

Originally Posted by IRM
    Think it's because most of the Reviresco kits use brass rod for the struts, passed through the lower wing. The cabine struts and wing jigs make sure your upper wings are in the right position.

I'm surprised you had problems with the model's parts. All of the ones I ordered had extra sprues of struts etc if any of the parts on the originals were miscast. John at Reviresco's a pleasure to deal with if there's any problems, I'm sure he'll replace any damaged or missing parts if you drop him a line.

Will do.....
  6. Christophe - 10-05-2010, 14:17
    [quote=IRM]Think it's because most of the Reviresco kits use brass rod for the struts, passed through the lower wing. The cabine struts and wing jigs make sure your upper wings are in the right position.

No brass rods, soft metal that bends easily...
  7. Burt - 10-05-2010, 17:00

Originally Posted by IRM
    John at Reviresco's a pleasure to deal with if there's any problems, I'm sure he'll replace any damaged or missing parts if you drop him a line.

I recently ordered a bomber from Reviresco that had some missing crew.
    I sent an e-mail about it but didnt even get a reply
    Doesn't encourage me to do much business with them.
    Don
  8. Christophe - 10-05-2010, 22:38
    Continuation:
    5: Glue pilot figure into cockpit. (Pilot figure to big so have to cut him in half to make him look reasonable)
    6. Glue lower wing to fuselage. (cleaned and done)
    7. Glue mid wing to fuselage, and push interplane struts through rectangular slots in mid wing. Once in position Glue into place. (Done)
    8. Glue machine guns to top of fuselage. (Done)
    9. Glue top wing to top of interplane struts, and cabine struts to fuselage. (For this to happen you first need to break off the cabine struts and reposition them. Then after glueing, swearing, cutting the glued bits of your fingers etc, you have to tweak open the cabine struts to fit round the centre wing. This done while trying to judge where roughly they attach to the fuselage by placing the wing in front of the plane)
    10. Assemble the landing gear struts, axle, and wheels. Glue them to the bottom of the fuselage. (Turn the plane on its back tweak open the struts so that they fit front and rear of the lower wing and glue)
    Two extra struts left, but no instrutions for them. Two holes in tail so they must go there.
    After completing my first DR1 I felt rather pleased with myself, until I put it at eye level, and found out that during assembly the mid wing must have slipped at some time, and dried fast in its new position. NOT HAPPY.
    Put it on the shelf and put it down to experiance, reminding myself to make a jig for the next tripe out of two pegs.
    Following day started on tripe 2. All going well, then dropped the prop and couldn't find it.
    Cuppa time.
    Day 3:Get prop from another pack and continue. Set up going well with a modified pair of wooden pegs as spacers for the wings. While Dr1 is set up to dry, start assembling an Alb. Going well until dropped a strut. Lost strut but found missing prop!!!!!!! Go figure!!!
    Whilst trying the fit the top wing bloody glue wouldn't glue the metal together, but kept sticking parts, bodily an model to fingers.

Have now shelved the bloody lot and have decided to find another way of building the circus.
  9. Flying Officer Kyte - 10-06-2010, 08:39
    Chris. Nil desperandum. I run masterclasses in getting superglued body parts unglued. Your body parts that is. P.M me for my lengthy and somewhat tedious recollections of my own brushes with superglue.
    Rob.
    Edit Report
  10. Algynon - 10-06-2010, 10:36
    Hmmmm, sticky business this modelling. However I do use the models that are not quite built to the high standard that I see on this site. To release the frustration I deliberatly bend and destroy parts that I have messed up. I then stick them onto a bit of mdf , flock the base and put them on my games table as downed pilots.