Ares Games

Thread: In praise of WoW

Default In praise of WoW

Now and again I write for one of the top UK wargame magazines, mainly land battles but have recently submitted a piece on Wings of War. If it is accepted then I will let you know.

My son has kindly interupted his busy schedule of modelling to put together some artwork for me based primarily on my repaints. It can be seen here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=46

You have some nice repaints in your collection. Did your son make those profiles from scratch? They look pretty dang good! I really like the digital artwork he did of the three in the dark clouds.

He does a lot of 3D modelling in his job, this kind of stuff is a sideline for him. The aircraft are done as 3D models first, then textured, this means he can do profiles or put them into scenes. I know he is working on a Dr1 at the moment, I believe it is Voss'.

Very cool. Might have to see if he wants to do some scenes or a logo for the site here.

Nice repaints!
    And thanks a lot for the article!!!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Chris
    Sorties Flown

Your repaints are terrific George, are they based on actual aircraft liveries or your own designs? Your son's artwork is brillant.

They are based on actual aircraft, the Osprey books mainly but also some from Wings Palette or other web sites.

The editor is pleased with the article, I suspect it should be in around January, I'll keep you posted.

Nice repaints! How long does it take per aircraft for a repaint?

I would say no more than an hour and a half depending on how intricate it is and the colours, a simple design can be done in 45 mins and light colours usually need a couple of coats. I usually wait until the next day to put on the decals then a few hours after that I will give them a coat of matt varnish.

I normally paint around the upper wing cross if it is the right type for the repaint, otherwise I will use decals.

I don't do anything to the underside, mainly because you don't see it from a players perspective.

The WoW mini's are really easy to paint, you might need an undercoat before you start, again it depends on what you are doing.

Choose an easy one and give it a go, I have seen a nice albatros with a red nose, yellow body and mauve tail for instance. Can't remember whither it is a DIII or DVa though

Awesome looking work there, Belis4rius! I don't have the courage to repaint my planes, or frankly the imagination. Yours are very inspiring!

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Excellent repaints!

Similar Missions

1. WGF: Future WoW miniature releases
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-22-2010, 13:51
  2. WoW B.E. 2c?
    By Dathbain in forum WGF: Rules Help