Ares Games

Thread: Tournament Missions

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jody
    Sorties Flown

Default Tournament Missions

In two weeks time I've organized a wow tournament for 16 players. It will run over two days and be hosted in my local gaming store.

There will be 8 teams with each team consisting of two players. 4 Axis teams and 4 Allied teams. Depending on which mission they are playing, players will control one or two pilots/planes.

These are the missions.

Mission One "Burning Drachens"
    Balloon Busting
    Set Up: Each player selects any one fighter from 1917.
    Both teams have two A machine gun cards and one observation balloon placed anywhere on their side.
    No additional observation balloons or random ground targets.
    After 12 turns the observation balloons are pulled down and no more respawning of planes is allowed.
    Objective: Destroy the enemy observation balloon and all enemy aircraft.

Mission Two "Watch your Back"
    Reconnaissance
    Set Up: Each team selects two fighters and one two-seater plane. All aircraft must be from 1916 or 1917.
    Both teams have one anti-aircraft gun and two trench cards placed anywhere on their side.
    No random ground targets or observation balloons.
    Each aircraft can respawn once this mission.
    Objectives:
    (1) Destroy enemy AA Gun
    (2) Photograph both trenches and return safely to your edge of the playing surface.

Mission Three "Famous Aces"
    Dogfight
    Set Up: Each team selects two 1917 fighters and two 1918 fighters. Collisions with friendly aircraft of the same type are ignored.
    Each team selects one pilot to be the Squadron Leader. This pilot gains one Single Ace ability of their choice. +1 Pilot Point for each kill on a Squadron Leader.
    Each team can respawn two aircraft this mission.
    Objective: Destroy all enemy aircraft.

Campaign rules will be used and pilot points from these missions will determine which two teams, the best from each side (Axis versus Allies) will go into the grand final. The top two teams will play the following mission...

Mission Four
    "Fokker Scourge"
    Dogfight
    Set Up: Each pilot selects three fighter planes: one from each era (1916 — 1917 — 1918).
    Pilots start the mission with the 1916 aircraft and then respawn into the next era aircraft. Once the 1918 aircraft is destroyed, that pilot takes no further part in the mission.
    +1 Pilot Point for destroying an enemy aircraft which has more advanced technology (One year newer).
    +2 Pilot Points for destroying an enemy aircraft which has far more advanced technology (Two years newer).

In the final mission "Fokker Scourge" teams will have access to specific aircraft. These will be:
    Axis
    (1) Albatros DIII
    (2) Fokker triplane
    (3) Fokker DVII
    Allies
    (1) Neuport 17
    (2) Sopwith Camel
    (3) Sopwith Snipe
    Last edited by Kiwi_Ace; 08-15-2009 at 11:56.

Jody, something you might want to add to your games... setup order. An idea would be to have players place their planes on the table in order of kills. The player on the table with the least amount of kills would place their plane first, then the next player with more kills and so on. This might be interesting until Mission three were there is a Squadron Leader to hold the flights together.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jody
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Jody, something you might want to add to your games... setup order. An idea would be to have players place their planes on the table in order of kills. The player on the table with the least amount of kills would place their plane first, then the next player with more kills and so on. This might be interesting until Mission three were there is a Squadron Leader to hold the flights together.
    nice idea Keith. i think id use that in the final "fokker scourge" mission.
    in my regular campaign we have a house rule for placing where both sides dice-off and the highest roll places 2nd but we alternate placing eg. axis - allies - axis - allies etc.

Yeah, the alternating is a good idea.

I think the Fokker Scourge mission is a great idea, and would be a lot of fun.

If someone can tell me how to post a graphic from one of my personal documents I can give you a random placement diagram that we use to represent one group getting the "jump" on another. One of our members found it in an OLD set of self published rules from sometime in the 1960's We changed it slightly and use it mostly for Dawn Patrol games. It gets rid of that head on first turn.

actually I think I might have figured it out.
    there should be an attachment to this post.
    If so here is the instuctions for the diagram.
    RANDOM OPPONENT PLACEMENT DIAGRAM
    1. Each side rolls 1d6. The highest roll is the attacker. If the rolls are the same, simply set up the groups in the head to head placement printed in the Wings of War rules.
    2. The defenders arrange their planes near the center of the combat area.
    3. The Attackers roll 2d6 to determine the location and facing of their planes when the defenders are spotted.
    4. The Defenders roll 1d6 to determine the distance from them that the attackers start. A roll of 1-3 results in the attackers being 2 range sticks away, a roll of 4-6 results in the attackers being 3 range sticks away.
    5. The attackers may play 1 maneuver card before regular play begins to represent getting the “Jump” on the defenders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WoW rdmplacement.jpg  

Sorry- I was so excited that I figured it out that I didn't complete the post.
    We don't use this diagram for single plane placement unless it it a one on one game.
    We place each group of planes in a formation. Each plane in a formation must be within half a range stick of another plane and all must be going in the same direction. The closest attacker must be the distance rolled on the diagram. We mostly use this for Dawn Patrols but have used it for bombing missions, the bombers being the defenders.

Charlie, I like your system for placing the planes. It sounds like it really mixes up how the game starts out. I'll have to look into working some thing similar into one of the campaign missions.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jody
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie3 View Post
    Sorry- I was so excited that I figured it out that I didn't complete the post.
    We don't use this diagram for single plane placement unless it it a one on one game.
    We place each group of planes in a formation. Each plane in a formation must be within half a range stick of another plane and all must be going in the same direction. The closest attacker must be the distance rolled on the diagram. We mostly use this for Dawn Patrols but have used it for bombing missions, the bombers being the defenders.
    Nice!
    im so old school with this posting of graphics stuff, i need to take some time and learn how to do it cause i have plenty of custom cards to show off

the tournamnet ive organised at my local gaming store is today. im expecting 12-16 players. will post here tomorrow and let u guys know how it went.
    Last edited by Kiwi_Ace; 08-28-2009 at 11:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_Ace View Post
    Nice!
    im so old school with this posting of graphics stuff, i need to take some time and learn how to do it cause i have plenty of custom cards to show off
    I would suggest saving them in your "my pictures" file first I found it quicker to access and select.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Charlie, I like your system for placing the planes. It sounds like it really mixes up how the game starts out. I'll have to look into working some thing similar into one of the campaign missions.
    Thanks! I find this system give us the feel of the scenes in the movies where the leader of the intrepid gaggle of planes is scanning the sky and spots a group of enemy planes through the clouds. He then waves at his wing man and motions downward, his wing man nods, and our hero and his group do a wing over to dive into the enemy guns blazing!

Feel free to add it to your Knights of the Air rules
    Last edited by Charlie3; 08-28-2009 at 11:59. Reason: added content

Nice!
    Actually, you should upload them to the File System. That's the best place for them. That way they will show up under your name in each post you make for better exposure. You can also add the thumbnail images to any of your posts by Rick Clicking and selecting Properties. Then just cut and paste the files location into the Image tags.

It's much easier then it sounds!

you lost me after "actually" but I'll figure it out.

Haha, that links goes to a link with a video on how to do it

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jody
    Sorties Flown

In two weeks time I've organized a wow tournament for 16 players. It will run over two days and be hosted in my local gaming store.

There will be 8 teams with each team consisting of two players. 4 Axis teams and 4 Allied teams. Depending on which mission they are playing, players will control one or two pilots/planes.

These are the missions.

Mission One "Burning Drachens"
    Balloon Busting
    Set Up: Each player selects any one fighter from 1917.
    Both teams have two A machine gun cards and one observation balloon placed anywhere on their side.
    No additional observation balloons or random ground targets.
    After 12 turns the observation balloons are pulled down and no more respawning of planes is allowed.
    Objective: Destroy the enemy observation balloon and all enemy aircraft.

Mission Two "Watch your Back"
    Reconnaissance
    Set Up: Each team selects two fighters and one two-seater plane. All aircraft must be from 1916 or 1917.
    Both teams have one anti-aircraft gun and two trench cards placed anywhere on their side.
    Each aircraft can respawn once this mission.
    Objectives:
    (1) Destroy enemy AA Gun
    (2) Photograph both trenches and return safely to your edge of the playing surface.

Mission Three "Famous Aces"
    Dogfight
    Set Up: Each team selects two 1917 fighters and two 1918 fighters. Collisions with friendly aircraft of the same type are ignored.
    Each team selects one pilot to be the Squadron Leader. This pilot gains one Single Ace ability of their choice. +1 Pilot Point for each kill on a Squadron Leader.
    Each team can respawn two aircraft this mission.

Campaign rules will be used and pilot points from these missions will determine which two teams, the best from each side (Axis versus Allies) will go into the grand final. The top two teams will play the following mission...

Mission Four
    "Fokker Scourge"
    Dogfight
    Set Up: Each pilot selects three fighter planes: one from each era (1916 — 1917 — 1918).
    Pilots start the mission with the 1916 aircraft and then respawn into the next era aircraft. Once the 1918 aircraft is destroyed, that pilot takes no further part in the mission.
    +1 Pilot Point for destroying an enemy aircraft which has more advanced technology (One year newer).
    +2 Pilot Points for destroying an enemy aircraft which has far more advanced technology (Two years newer).

In the final mission "Fokker Scourge" teams will have access to specific aircraft. These will be:
    Axis
    (1) Albatros DIII
    (2) Fokker triplane
    (3) Fokker DVII
    Allies
    (1) Neuport 17
    (2) Sopwith Camel
    (3) Sopwith Snipe
    the tournament was very busy to run but fun. we only had 13 players in the end, with 3 preregistered guys pulling out earlier in the week so we shuffled the teams around a little and had 3 single-player teams and 5 two-player teams. the guys flying solo were at a sizeable disadvantage having to manouvre, 2, 3 and then 4 planes on their own but this task was given to the more experienced pilots where possible.

Mission 1 and Mission 3 were very cool. The mission 3 dogfight was the most interesting for me as i was piloting 4 camels flying in formation on my own. for a while it looked like i was gonna win the sortie but my respawning ace pilot getting exploded in the same turn he re-entered the game swung things back towards the axis players i was fighting.

Mission 2 recon was too hard. None completed the mission, the nest group managed to photograph one of two ground targets, many 2-seaters were shot down after taking the photo but before they could safely return to their end of the board. Nest time i would just use one target as the recon and have one team defending (with just fighters, probably 3). Attacking or defending sides would be decided by a roll of the dice or perhaps let the team with the most mission points from mission 1 chooses to recon or defend the recon mission.

The grand final played out very well. The top axis and allied teams after 3 missions facing off using staggered upgrading of technology. As i was playing for the allies all weekend i was really hoping they would pull it out. The axis team in the final was the only "Out of town" team in the tournament so for them to win the final was going to really hurt our local pride!
    The allies lost the first plane and lots of strategic manouvering later found themselves with a snipe and camel versus 2 mid-war albatross, not a good sign as the snipe getting shot down meant the allies would be left with just one plane on the board!

Soon after the game balanced out and swung back to the allies with just one virtually undamaged snipe versus one heavily damaged FokkerDVII. This was going to be close. A real finals match. After trading damage for a bit the German plane found itself on 4 armour points getting shot at close range, im sure the allies tactic was to just get into a close combat trade-off and let the armour take it. This worked and the Fokker went down leaving a single snipe on the table. HORAY!!! a victory for the allies!!! this certainly went against the trend of the weekend with the axis players generally doing better that the allies head to head.

we used an exel spreadsheet to record all mission and ace points. this was a good idea as there were 32 individual pilots to keep track of. Whew! i need a rest from organizing the next tourney but thankfully another player in our group has volunteered to do the next one.
    Last edited by Kiwi_Ace; 08-30-2009 at 11:27.

Sounds like it worked out really well and I'm sure it was lots of fun for everyone!

Sounds like a really good time, too bad about the odd number of players. In the past when I have run tourneys, I always have a "ringer" standing by to fill out roster if an odd number shows. If the ringer plays, they play for free, and any prizes they win they earn. If they don't play, I get an able-bodied assistant for the day!

Any chance you could post your Excel spreadsheet to give us an idea how you tracked the day?

Cheers!

That's the way we handle odd number of people as well. It's typically one of the store staff that handles the ringer.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie3 View Post
    actually I think I might have figured it out.
    there should be an attachment to this post.
    If so here is the instuctions for the diagram.
    RANDOM OPPONENT PLACEMENT DIAGRAM
    1. Each side rolls 1d6. The highest roll is the attacker. If the rolls are the same, simply set up the groups in the head to head placement printed in the Wings of War rules.
    2. The defenders arrange their planes near the center of the combat area.
    3. The Attackers roll 2d6 to determine the location and facing of their planes when the defenders are spotted.
    4. The Defenders roll 1d6 to determine the distance from them that the attackers start. A roll of 1-3 results in the attackers being 2 range sticks away, a roll of 4-6 results in the attackers being 3 range sticks away.
    5. The attackers may play 1 maneuver card before regular play begins to represent getting the “Jump” on the defenders.
    Just checked this out - brilliant! Will be suggesting it for local games, and possibly/hopefully a tournament!

You are going to like it Grant, my group did. I'm incorporating it into several of the KotA missions for the next update.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Perry
    Sorties Flown

I like the concept but not the execution. With a 2D6 role the highest percentages of rolls will be 6,7,8. A 6 or 7 means that the defender has to turn left to engage. Also, for the majority of 2-stick distance starts, the attacker must also turn left to engage.

Why not something a little more balanced - as certain planes do noticeably better turning to the right?

I think the attackers coming in from the defenders "weak side" works out very well. These rules were to represent one side getting the jump on there other. To me, that means they did maneuvering "behind the scenes" to get into the best position.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Perry
    Sorties Flown

Could be logical. The concept lacks altitude variance however between attackers and defenders. That too offers surprise and position.

Good for friendly games - but I wouldn't play in a tournament with this set-up.

Default The Decoy (after WE Johns)

Biggles caught his breath as he saw an ugly red stain on his hand that had supported the wounded pilot's back. "How did they get you kid? he choked, dropping on his knees and bending over the ashen face.

"I - got - the - bus - home - Biggles," whispered Batson eagerly.

"Sure you did," nodded Biggles, forcing a smile. "What was it laddie - archie?"

The pilot looked at his flight commander with wide open eyes. My own fault," he whispered faintly..."I went down - after Rumpler - with green tail. Thought I'd be clever." He smiled wanly. "Albatrosses - waiting - upstairs. It was - trap."

Set up:- Allied player has a single Camel/Snipe with an ace pilot. The German side a slow 2-seater and a pair of Albtrosses. The Albatross are at maximum altitude trailing along as the Decoy trolls along the edge of allied airspace looking for suckers.

Can the lone Camel shoot down the Rumpler and make his escape back into friendly territory before the fighters get him as well.?

Another WE Johns inspired scenario: In one of the WW1 stories Maj Raymond of Intelligence offers a gramophone to the sqn that can drop leaflets furthest behind enemy lines. (!)
    Biggles and Algy set up a scheme where they refuel Biggles' machine behind enemy lines and then he flies on.

As a lone allied pilot sprints for home to collect his gamophone a Hun circus tries to stop him exiting the other end of the table.

Similar Missions

1. Tournament Rules?
    By rapier1642 in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-29-2009, 13:21