Ares Games

Thread: 100 Minis - Single Battle - Volunteers needed

Richard Bliss

Default 100 Minis - Single Battle - Volunteers needed

On Monday, January 24th, 2011 at the Torrance Marriott in California, I will be hosting a massive Wings of War event. 100 Miniatures in a single battle.

The event is an evening activity for a technology conference that I host each year in the US and Germany. Each year I teach all my delegates how to play Wings of War and I provide all the planes and prizes. This year we are attempting to the take back the world record that we held until last year when Andrea hosted an event in Europe. Since he created the game, I guess it is okay for him to hold the record.

But now we are going to win it back and in a big way.

We currently have about 110 people registered for the evening event. I'm looking for volunteers in the Los Angeles area who are familiar with the game that would be willing to help out.

Here are the benefits -

1. Free Banquet Dinner
    2. Free Wings of War WWI Mini of their choice
    3. Bragging rights - You get to be part of history

If there is anyone interested in helping out please contact me directly.

Richard Bliss
    rbliss@blisscorp.com
    408-8921-5918

The event is called GWAVACon and you find more information about location and the event at www.gwavacon.com

Thanks in advance for any help. Lots of pictures will be taken and posted.

100!?!?!?!? (Falls of his chair in amazement)

Richard, I've brought this thread to the attention of our California Squadron Commander. Good luck with the event.

Oh how I wish I could just jump on a plane and fly to California for a day... would be worth it just to part of it...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Richard Bliss

I purchased $2,200 Retail price worth of planes and boxed sets for this event. By making it part of my corporate marketing plan, I get to do things I normally would only dream about.

Richard Bliss

Thanks, hopefully someone will be in the area to help out. I have trained my staff over the years, but it still nice to have "professionals" helping

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Bliss View Post
    I purchased $2,200 Retail price worth of planes and boxed sets for this event. By making it part of my corporate marketing plan, I get to do things I normally would only dream about.
    Well, I guess the real players around your area should stop looking for any minis at their local game stores. You must have bought them all out!

Richard Bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Well, I guess the real players around your area should stop looking for any minis at their local game stores. You must have bought them all out!
    Had that problem the first few times I did it. Bought 200 planes for an event in Utah and 200 planes for an event in Las Vegas. Now, to avoid this kind of issue, I buy direct from Fantasy Flight Games. I do invite a local game store to participate. They usually sell 6 or 7 Euro games. My audience is from all over the US and almost 100% have never played any kind of board games other than the Monopoly or Risk. Once they experience Wings of War, the men and women of my conference often return home and begin searching their local area.

I am very curious as to how this event turned out!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Oh, how I wish I could have flown out for that event!! Why, oh WHY can't I just win the lottery?!!

I also want to know how this event turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    ... Why, oh WHY can't I just win the lottery?!!

I say that pretty often myself, but I always forget to buy the darn tickets, or worse: I buy the ticket, and then forget I have it and don't check to see if I won!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

If you ever do one of your conferences with this in Seattle, make sure to give us in this site's "Washington Squadron" a shout. (This would be a good time to test my "Flights" houserule, where each player has one plane and is assigned a wingman, and if you lose your wingman you get no points.)

Andrea posted in the Yahoo group that they had 92 players/minis total!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Richard Bliss

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Andrea posted in the Yahoo group that they had 92 players/minis total!
    Yes, we had a total of 92 players. This included 18 years olds to a 79 year old Great Grandmother from Eugene Oregon. She was so take with Wings of War and anxious to get home to teach her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren, that I presented her with a copy of the WWI Revised Deluxe Edition. You can see photos of her and others playing at www.facebook.com/thegamewhisperer

I have done a write up over at Purple Pawn and will be doing another at my blog www.thegamewhisperer.com.

So many of the 92 came up to me afterward and expressed amazement and enthusiasm for the game. We now have 92 WoW fans spreading across the country as they return home and infect their families with the thrill of the game.

For many, it was their first time every playing anything more complex than Monopoly.

In order to teach and coordinate the game, I stood on a stage with a microphone and walked everyone through the process. I made some rule modifications due to the size and inexperience of the group.

First, we played with 3x5 cards. The length of the card along the 5" side was short range, and two card lengths was long range. This full 10" of shooting range made it easier for new players to engage their opponents without having to maneuver close.
    We also played open hit points. Whenever a shot was taken, a card was drawn from one of the several damage decks placed strategically along the tables. The number was revealed and recorded on the person's 3x5 card and then the damage card was returned to the deck.

A more controversial decision was to not enforce maneuver rules and restrictions. This meant players could use two stalls back to back and did not require a long straight before or after a loop.

Some could argue that this changed the game significantly, but remember the purpose was to have them experience the game mechanics and processes more than to learn the limitations and restrictions of maneuvering.

We also provided a wide assortment of prizes for those playing, including Flip Cameras, Sony Cameras, Netbooks, and an Xbox Kinect.

Players were allowed to keep their plane. Some people had played last year and made a point of playing the opposite side this year so they now had one Ally and one German.

The event will be held again next year over the same weekend at the same Torrance Marriott near LAX. Start making your plans now and you can be part of history. With the enthusiasm shown this year, I know there will be a lot of proselytizing by my customers to come back and play again.

I think your rules changes make sense for an event like that! Glad it went well for you!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Yeah, that sounds ideal for a mega game.

Zach

Similar Missions

1. Help Needed with Colour Top Down Profiles
    By Beanie in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 08:05
  2. Kaiserschlacht 1918 Online Campaign: Commander Needed
    By David Kuijt in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 04:51
  3. Battle songs?
    By Clean_With_Camel in forum Officer's Club