Ares Games

Thread: Smoke and Fire

Default Smoke and Fire

Hello all,
    Looking for ideas and pictures of how people put smoke and or fire on their planes when they get hit. If some of you have some pictures in the forum please direct me to them.
    Thanks

P.S. I saw some I think in the forum that used pipe cleaners to do it. Just can't find them now.

Tom

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jon
    Sorties Flown

There is an article on the Check Your 6 Yahoo group about making them.
    I'll try to upload it tonight.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Desaix
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by evilsam View Post
    Nice I am interested in making them as well...

The photo of the damaged zero is awesome, I think thats the 1/144 Takara model, very hard to get now and very expensive if you can find it for sale.
    I had the pipecleaner smoke and fire pics on my profile but I took the album off.

I appologise for the photo quality but my camera and skill is not that great.
    The pipecleaner smoke and fire markers are easy enough to make though, I copied mine from photos from another forum. To connect them to the plane, make a small hook with the wire so it hooks into the engine cowel or around the leading edge of the wing and lay the pipe cleaner over the main wing and tailplane, it looks better if the pipecleaner is not straight and corkscrews and dips slightly as if the smoke is following the slipstream. The only problem with the pipecleaner look is that they just look like painted pipecleaners, I think the "Woodland Scenic" smoke and fire idea (which are the Hellcat pics) is a better looking effect, its made by trimming a "foliage cluster" to shape, pushing through and glueing the wire into position and painting it for effect. It looks better and attaching the marker to the riser peg is a better idea than attaching to the model.
    Last edited by Roger Wilco; 09-30-2009 at 23:52. Reason: added pictures

nice job on the smoke....

how was the smoke painted and also the fiery cockpit one? just curious as it would be great to try my hand at making some.

cheers
    GW

If you are talking about the Zero above, it is actually a model. Just shown here for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    If you are talking about the Zero above, it is actually a model. Just shown here for reference.
    lol thought it was to good to be a pipe cleaner...

well once I get my minis I'll experiment with some smoke and see what happens.

Cheers
    Alan

Default smoke and fire

Those are sweet pictures. I've made some up with pipe cleaners and painted them. I will take some pictures of them and put them in my gallery. Thanks for helping me with this.

Tom

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jon
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by evilsam View Post
    The tutorial is in the files section now. Looks like a trip the craft store is in the near future.

Pretty darn awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Desaix
    Sorties Flown

Going to check that right away, thanks !

sweet just downloaded it will have a try once I can find a local shop that sells black pipe cleaners....

Cheers
    GW

Users Country Flag

Name
    Desaix
    Sorties Flown

Noe, how are these explosions done, someone knows ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilco View Post

They are made from some synthetic, black "cotton like balls" I bought them from a big national chain craft store here in Australia called Spotlight, its also where I bought the pipecleaners, they also had the shaped pipecleaners as well, but only had "pink" ones.
    To make the flak blasts I teased the balls out to a good looking shape and then mixed up some some thick cheap kids acrylic poster paint and blobbed it on and inside with a #4 brush, started with blobs of red, then a layer of orange and finally yellow. I then mounted them onto a Games Workshop clear flight base, I used a clear sticky craft glue like "Tarzans Grip" to glue them on. I think I made them too big personally, and they look better teased out a bit more, but you have to be carefull as its easy to tear the balls apart and they lose their integrity. It took me about ten minutes to make a dozen Flak blasts, I made them at the same time as the smoke and fire streamers, half and hour tops for the whole lot and I think it cost me about $10.00US for the materials (I already had a supply of bases in my bits box) and $2.00 for the beer.

Similar Missions

1. On Fire
    By KirkH in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 05:00
  2. Smoke and Fire
    By Von Rotherham in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-29-2009, 13:54